PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] desktop switch

munaf
May 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hi all,

I can't for the life of me seem to work the ctrl-tab desktop switch in kubuntu. It works perfectly in SuSE and Mandrake/mandriva so I'm dismayed that it doesn't for Kubuntu. Tutorials and documentation online does indicate that it's Supposed to work. but mine isn't and I'd like to know why.

I do also run firefox and thunderbird and I know ctrl-tab is a shortcut in firefox, but I'd like it switched back to kubuntu, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

M

SlappyPappy
May 7th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I think it's actually ctrl+alt+right arrow or left arrow.

Also if you've moved your bar to a vertical position it's then up or down arrow.

:popcorn:

phr0ze
May 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM
On regular Ubuntu and windows :( it's Alt-Tab. Are you sure it's control tab in kubuntu?

munaf
May 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
desktop switch... not window switch.

Courtesy of google, here are more than 10 kazillion references to the ctrl-tab desktop switch that belongs to linux in general. why does kubuntu not support it, or if it does, why might it not be working?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TabConsistency - the control-tab shortcut is supposed to change desktop.

Can anyone perhaps tell me how to map ctrl-tab to that function (rotating desktops) then?

M

sujoy
May 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
what exactly is ctrl+tab suposed to do?
it aint there in ubuntu also.

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts

To switch desktops its ctrl+f1 - ctrl+f2 and so on. Walk through desktops is disabled by default it seems.

hyper_ch
May 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM
shouldn't:

ctrl-tab switch between the applications on the desktop

and

ctrl-alt-[left/right arrow] switch the desktops?