PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hardy 8.04 boot fails

brendan.lefoll
May 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Ok I'm pretty annoyed with the newest release of ubuntu, the bugs in networking (synergy shows them best), but anyways here's my latest problem that I can't solve and I'm just going to have to go back to opensuse if I can't sort it out.

I have a :
Tyan S5396 i5400XT
2x 2.5ghz harpertown xeons
8x 2G FB-DIMMs
1x SAS 15k 73GB seagate Cheetah
1x SATA 7.2k 750GB samsung spinpoint
Nvidia 8600GT

Ok so I install ubuntu with the alternate CD. All goes fine I set up the following partitioning:

SAS disk :
LVM with / and home sharing the disk all on reiserFS
SATA disk :
/boot 100MB on reiserFS
4 GB of swap

It all goes well, I install everything all happy. get the nvidia drivers to work and set dual monitors up with nvidia-settings. I reboot to make my system happy (it keeps complaining that after updates you have to...)

And grub doesnt load.... just get the flashing underscore from the mobo's bios.

I tried again this time with /boot and swap all in an LVM from the SAS drive. LILO is the boot loader. Again All seems good, I do an apt-get update and upgrade, and reboot, bam LILO goes "L 99 99 99".... and so on.

Is there a problem with dual drives and LVM's or something? What kind of partitioning should I use? I want to have an LVM with / in it at least, I don't mind moving /home to the slower SATA drive. But in that case swap has to go on the faster drive at least.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Brendan

brendan.lefoll
May 7th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Turns out opensuse provided me with the answer, the disk lable was set to whatever Mac OS X uses and not ms-dos. Therefore grub and lilo seemed to have trouble with it. I'm impressed opensuse told me straight away and had a tool to fix it. I'm less impressed with the fact it crashed twice while trying to create the LVM. However I have now reinstalled ubuntu 8.04 and it seems to be all fine now (fingers crossed just updated all and installed nvidia drivers, now installing kde3 and kde4.)