PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Compiling for performance

gsiliceo
May 7th, 2008, 08:04 AM
DOes anybody know where can i get information to compile ubuntu for my specific cpu with the CK(con kolivas) patchs? i badly need the performance in hardy heron.

Ok i'll be more specific, i need to know what architechture my cpu is, i'm confused with the i386 and i686 and i586, is there a way to know for sure?

Has anybody tried con kolivas patch?

Will ubuntu become unstable if i compile my own kernel? using the Kernel Master Thread?

madtinkerer
May 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
The ck patchset hasn't been active since the 2.6.22 kernel release. You can't patch a newer version of the kernel with it, so you can't compile a new kernel for Hardy with the ck patchset. I think most of the set was integrated into the regular kernel in 2.6.22 anyway, although I am not sure about that.

What CPU does your computer have? It's probably i686. Honestly, you're not going to get a huge performance increase by compiling a new kernel or recompiling all the ubuntu packages as i686. If you're having performance problems, look at increasing your ram or optimizing your hardware setup.

gsiliceo
May 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
The number of opened apps and services is virtually the same since gutsy, but the overall performance is worst, i'll try using the 2.6.22 kernel then. Any performance improvement even 1% is acceptable for me at this point.

Lord Landis
May 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I haven't compiled a custom kernel on my Hardy install, but I did so for Gutsy. While performance wasn't that much better, I managed to save myself about 50 megs of RAM (this is on a system that only has 512). I didn't have any problems when I followed what was in the master kernel thread, but I will caution you that, depending on your hardware, it can take hours to recompile.

To determine your exact hardware, code:

uname -mp

That will show you the processor type and machine type. It will most likely return either i386 or i686. If i386, use the 32-bit kernel. If i686, use 64.

madtinkerer
May 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM
i686 does not mean the cpu is a 64 bit cpu. My P4 is reported as i686 but it is not a 64 bit cpu.

You're welcome to try to compile your own kernel but I really don't think it will make a big performance difference. You should post your hardware here and perhaps people can suggest some tweaks.