PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 acts like Windows (poor performance)

dlridings
May 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I cannot for the life of me figure out what is happening.

I have been running Ubuntu on my machine for well over a year, started with 6.04.

I've never regretted upgrading.

I certainly do regret upgrading to 8.04 from 7.10.

Something strange is going on. All the sudden I get that Microsoft kind of unknown disc activity that freezes up my machine for 10 - 15 seconds.

This morning it has been happening about once a minute.

Yesterday it took 30 seconds to save a 2kb file in VI. The disc starts spinning and bam, the machine is locked up.

The new Firefox might be to blame. It is absolutely terrible compared to the 7.10 installation.

Any ideas about what is going on?

Daniel

mikewhatever
May 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Looks similar to this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/xulrunner-1.9/+bug/215728.
Have you tried removing Firefox 3beta5 and installing 2.0.0.14?

dlridings
May 7th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Looks similar to this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/xulrunner-1.9/+bug/215728.

No, I haven't, but I that was exactly what I was looking in to doing. I was browsing around in the repositories when you wrote this. Now I'll definitely do it.

It _does_ seem to have something to do with Firefox. Even when I was using VI yesterday, I was using Firefox as a user interface to a web application I was working on.

Thanks! I'll back down to 2.0.0.14 (Firefox) and report back on what happens.

Daniel

dlridings
May 7th, 2008, 08:03 AM

I really do not want to just install a tar from the Mozilla site.

Can someone point me to a *.deb package for Firefox 2.0.0.14? There is only the 3 Beta 5 version in the repository for 8.10. So I can unintall, but I can't back down.

I'd really like to stay with the deb-package format.
Daniel

Siyfion
May 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The 2.0 version is in the repository, although it may be under the community packages. Check your sources list.. :)

dlridings
May 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM
The 2.0 version is in the repository, although it may be under the community packages. Check your sources list.. :)

I did. I have the community (universe) repository but nowhere can 2.0 be found anymore. Would have liked to say thanks, but could you say exactly which repository the 2.0.0.14 is supposed to be in?

dlridings
May 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Sorry sorry sorry ... you're right and thanks!

D

dlridings
May 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM

I didn't uninstall Firefox 3beta5, I just installed 2.0.0.14 and use it instead.

It made a huge difference.

Firefox 3beta5 seems not to be ready for the "beta" label yet. It really sucked off all the resources.

Firefox 2.0.0.14 works just fine. I can now scroll again (couldn't before with any amount of comfort) and I'm not getting those lock-ups while it does something on the hard disk.

Thanks. This did the trick.

Daniel