PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] synaptic option in System menu is gone! disappeared!

hurinth
May 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
:mad: I recently upgraded over the Internet from 7.10 to 8.04, days after I realize Synaptic is not present in the System>Administration submenu.

I go to System>Preferences>Main Menu and I see the checbox un-checked, so I check it, but 1 second later I can see how it unchecks by itself... This happens with any item from the Administration submenu.

Now, if I got to ~/.local/share/applications and double click the Synaptic icon, I get the error in the attached image.

Please anyone can help me here?

Bubba64
May 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM
:mad: I recently upgraded over the Internet from 7.10 to 8.04, days after I realize Synaptic is not present in the System>Administration submenu.

I go to System>Preferences>Main Menu and I see the checbox un-checked, so I check it, but 1 second later I can see how it unchecks by itself... This happens with any item from the Administration submenu.

Now, if I got to ~/.local/share/applications and double click the Synaptic icon, I get the error in the attached image.

Please anyone can help me here?

Open the terminal and type sudo synaptic it will then ask for your password which will not show when you type but is being input. and see if it opens. Beyond that I am not sure what else to do.

hurinth
May 7th, 2008, 03:54 PM
It won't open
hurin@Asfaloth:~$ sudo synaptic
[sudo] password for hurin:
hurin@Asfaloth:~$

It stays there and never opens a thing, any other idea please!?!?

Nesai11
January 25th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Same problems after the last system update... Synaptic dissapeared as well as Administrative tools. I used the commands below, and was able to do a sudo synaptic to access it again... now i'm trying to reinstall the system updater (update-manager), since that seemed to dissapear as well. i did, however, get these error messages

(synaptic:17532): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper: assertion `node != NULL' failed

(synaptic:17532): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_unref_tree_helper: assertion `node != NULL' failed

any thoughts?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

gadolinio
January 25th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Mmmm have you tried reinstalling synaptic?
Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?synaptic and choose your version, then click on any server to download the package. Then try reinstalling it to see if it makes any difference...