PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help burning a Dreamcast boot disk.

Famicommander
May 7th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I have no intention of pirating any software. I only want to burn a bootable Utopia Boot Disk so that I can play my imported Dreamcast games again. I used to have a boot disk, but it broke and I am left with a large stack of unusable Japanese Dreamcast games. They were easy enough to make in Windows, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it in Linux. Utopia boot disks are a completely legal, legitimate means of playing imports.

I'm running Xubuntu 8.04. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Famicommander
May 7th, 2008, 04:31 AM
http://www.mininova.org/tor/419957

This is the file I'm trying to burn, if that helps.

lazyart
May 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I'm guessing you should rename it with an .iso extenstion, then right click on it and write it to disk. I don't know the name of the xubuntu disk burning software, but if right click doesnt work, find the burner program in the menu, open it and burn the image.

wannadumpwindows
May 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Once you download the file, navigate to it in your file manager. Once you find it, right click it, and select "write to disk". A little box will pop up, and in it you can select your burn speed, and a couple other options, slower is better! After you've picked your options, just click "ok". And that should be all you need.

Famicommander
May 7th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Once you download the file, navigate to it in your file manager. Once you find it, right click it, and select "write to disk". A little box will pop up, and in it you can select your burn speed, and a couple other options, slower is better! After you've picked your options, just click "ok". And that should be all you need.
I'll try that now and reply if it doesn't work.

Famicommander
May 7th, 2008, 04:45 AM
The Dreamcast thinks it's and Audio CD.

wannadumpwindows
May 7th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I have no idea what to tell you for that one. I'm not familiar with the Dreamcast at all. My first thought would be to check the extension on the file you're trying to burn, and make sure it's a .iso file.

dstin1
May 7th, 2008, 06:01 AM
from my experiences dreamcast files are usually burned as CDI files not ISO I did a quick search of synaptic and found this program cdi2iso this may work for you.

as a side note CDI can only be burned with disk juggler (and maybe alcohol) which I don't think you can get for linux, but I've been wrong before.

dragos240
October 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Keep in mind, the dreamcast has an amazing 15 mb of ram. Dreamcast disks boot differently than normal disks. I will think it's an audio cd until you burn a copy of utopia disk booter. Get that onto a disk, and load it, thet take out the disk and put in the xubuntu disk. It won't work for 2 reasons. 1, ubuntu is not for the sh-4 architecture, and it wouldn't have enough ram either. Fortunately,you CAN get Linux onto a dreamcast disk, but just expect a command line, or twm.