PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 7-zip doesn't work

esedizzle
May 7th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I'm having trouble booting 7zip. previously i deleted it and then i tried to reinstall it in the add/remove application can someone help me make it work again?

Monicker
May 7th, 2008, 03:47 AM
What do you mean by "tried to reinstall it"? Was there an error? When you right click on a folder and select "Create Archive", is .7z not in the list of archive types?

nowshining
May 7th, 2008, 03:54 AM
also what were u trying to unzip or so, as u may have to install the zip codecs in synaptic, etc.. to use and create zip files.

esedizzle
May 8th, 2008, 02:11 AM
well i can find the program files in fact it looks like i have six or seven of them due to my multiple installations and removals of the program. To the second question what you suggested is there the zip option is present. My problem is when i hit the 7-zip icon to start it up. it never boots up.

Monicker
May 8th, 2008, 02:23 AM
well i can find the program files in fact it looks like i have six or seven of them due to my multiple installations and removals of the program. To the second question what you suggested is there the zip option is present. My problem is when i hit the 7-zip icon to start it up. it never boots up.

What 7zip icon are you talking about? When you install 7zip it integrates with the Archive Manager graphical interface, and is also accessible via the method I mentioned originally.

What exactly did you install, and how did you install it?

esedizzle
May 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Under the applications bar scroll is the add/remove button which brings up the add/remove part. I used the icons there and used the add remove button to install and uninstall 7-zip. I tried your method but, i can't find which icon to click on in the 7-zip folder.

gandaran
May 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Under the applications bar scroll is the add/remove button which brings up the add/remove part. I used the icons there and used the add remove button to install and uninstall 7-zip. I tried your method but, i can't find which icon to click on in the 7-zip folder.

what 7zip-folder and icon you talking about, it doesn't make any sense!
when you install 7zip you use in two ways, command line,type ' 7z ' in a terminal, (if you installed the p7zip-full package) and it'll show you all the options to use.
the other way, to create 7zip archives you just right click on a file or folder, choose Create archive from the menu, then select the archive type, in this case 7z.
to unpack a 7zip archive just right click the archive and select Extract!

I recommend the p7zip-full package, use synaptic to install it.

esedizzle
May 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM
ok i i've tried launching under the terminal but, i can't exactly figure what exactly to type could somebody give me a step by step or tell me exactly what to do after creating an archive of 7zip because just double clicking does not help. The previous instructions helped greatly and were much appreciated.