PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hooray for Ubuntu

carloslosgrande
May 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I recently got lucky in having an old Sony sr17k repaired (sony service quoted 10,000 rmb) with 'windows me' installed, and since then I've been trying various distros to work with its 256ram and 700mhz cpu.
I think I tried 7 or 8 but only 2 worked, Fluxbuntu, which is beyond my level and Ubuntu alternate. So now I'm running 8.04 on an 8 year old machine with a netgear wg111v2 wireless connector - thanks to ndiswrapper. It seems there is some internal problem that causes most distros to chuck a fit...even GParted won't play the game.
Frankly I'd about given up on this machine but thanks to all the Ubuntu team its rescued from rooted.:guitar:

tjwoosta
May 7th, 2008, 03:09 AM
thats awesome..

8 years old!

have you tried puppy linux or damnsmalllinux?

i use puppy linux on my old computer with 128mb ram, works great and its very lightweight compared to ubuntu

also i have used damnsmalllinux on my other machine that has only 32mb ram (awesom distro for bringing really old computers back to life)

JawsThemeSwimming428
May 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM
antiX would run awesome on that machine. You should give it a try:
http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page

dark_harmonics
May 7th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Very glad ubuntu worked great for you. I've had it run on all my high-end and low-end computers with almost NO problems. I had one sound issue with a sony Vio for my dad. It seems the mic isnt work properly or the headphone jack. Shame but he loves ubuntu so much hes just kind of living with it right now. Unfortunately my best efforts at fixing it have met with failure :(

carloslosgrande
May 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM
PuppyLinux site is inaccessible to me. DamnSmallLinux got stuck, don't know antiX, I'll have a look.
No trouble with sound except the speaker sounds crap, mp3 headphones plug right in, sounds fine.
Just have to be careful about which apps I run together, firefox and amarok are cpu intensive. I prefer Opera anyway.