PDA

View Full Version : How To Identify A Spyware/Malware Site!

Sinkingships7
May 7th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Sure. You just go ahead and try to scan my C drive...

Kingsley
May 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM
haha
I love those websites. I've encountered one that actually had a pop up that looked just like an XP window doing a virus scan.

Polygon
May 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Seriously, after putting so much time and effort into these scams, they STILL make spelling errors? (remove TREATS instead of THREATS on bottom right button)

cardinals_fan
May 7th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Seriously, after putting so much time and effort into these scams, they STILL make spelling errors? (remove TREATS instead of THREATS on bottom right button)
Don't remove my treats :razz:

Tundro Walker
May 7th, 2008, 04:47 AM
"While we're scamming your computers fur virus. Cud we intrest yo in a busness propisition frum Nigeria?"

MaindotC
May 7th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I worked at the help desk for my college last summer and people would send in their lappers for fixing - just revolting how many people had spy sheriff installed.

SirThom
May 7th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I worked at the help desk for my college last summer and people would send in their lappers for fixing - just revolting how many people had spy sheriff installed.

I'm not familiar with spy sheriff. Any connection to those television commercials with the woman with the sexy accent?

For the year that I ran XP (until I got ubuntu on this system) I ran avira, avast, one other free one, and something I got from Best Buy (SpySweeper?).

Ioky
May 7th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Miss those days fight with shyware and adware,and virus. The people who make those site a awsome. They scare people away from the windows. and sooner or late those people will use Linux or at least Unix. hahah

SuperSon!c
May 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Don't remove my treats :razz:

lol

Joeb454
May 7th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What if you don't have a Drive D - that would give it away immediately :)

Sinkingships7
May 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM
The fact that Linux lacks a C drive gives it away immediately. And on top of that, it's in the middle of scanning calc.exe...

:lolflag:

SuperSon!c
May 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
O wait they already did make something its called Linux.

linux scares windows users? ok.

Twitch6000
May 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
oh man I remember falling for one of those tricks <.<,that was not a good thing not at all.I also remember when we still gad a windows 98 and dial up.There was a spyware of some sort that was an annoying monkey.... it would not go away =[.I had to reinstall 98 to get rid of it.

Good time...good times:guitar:

smoker
May 7th, 2008, 08:21 PM
some windows users will click anything that moves on the screen! these companies should just design a popup saying

just give us your credit card details

that saves them the bother of having to pretend to actually be anything worthwhile, and saves the poor windows user the cost of getting their machine cleaned up again!

miggols99
May 7th, 2008, 08:26 PM
oh man I remember falling for one of those tricks <.<,that was not a good thing not at all.I also remember when we still gad a windows 98 and dial up.There was a spyware of some sort that was an annoying monkey.... it would not go away =[.I had to reinstall 98 to get rid of it.

Yes, I remember that. Bonzi Buddy I think it was called. I was actually stupid enough to install it..and I liked it! Then I noticed I couldn't get rid of it when it started to get annoying :-P

EDIT: Was it this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonzi_Buddy

That's what I got...

SirThom
May 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM

A few years ago I started getting a bunch of phishing messages about my ebay credit card being out of date or something (which was plausible at the time). I never actually clicked the link in the message but always went straight to ebay to do updates there, and was going crazy trying to figure things out. Eventually I contacted ebay tech support and they explained things to me. I'm pretty sure that if I had clicked the link in the email then I would have noticed the URL. I glance at that frequently.

bash
May 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yes, I remember that. Bonzi Buddy I think it was called. I was actually stupid enough to install it..and I liked it! Then I noticed I couldn't get rid of it when it started to get annoying :-P

EDIT: Was it this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonzi_Buddy

That's what I got...

Yea I actually installed that as well -.-

Back in '99. And do you guys remember that software that "organised the passwords for you". Lots of friends tried to get me to install it. Was called Gator ... something.

And the first time back in '98 when I caught a virus that installed lots of annoing pop-ups. "I was like why can't I uninstall this?". And after that "A wiruz?! Whats a wiruz?!". Ah the good old days of constant blue-screen on cds ejects. Accidently hit the eject CD button? Bluescreen! Swap to next CD in an installation? Woohoo Bluescreen!

/edit:
It was just called Gator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claria_Corporation#Gator