PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] can't see cdrom with Hardy

cybergalvez
May 7th, 2008, 02:46 AM
hi I upgraded from gutsy to hardy, now I can't see my cdrom, where I could before. Here is the basic problem, I tried to do apt-get instal mailx and it asked me to:

Media change: please insert the disc labeled
'Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release amd64 (20080422.2)'
in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter
The problem is the cd is in the drive. How can I fix this. I've not yet tested it with an audio cd but will
Jose

cybergalvez
May 7th, 2008, 03:01 AM
ok so reading the cdrom is really wacked now. with gutsy if I put something in the cdrom I could read it with /media/cdrom now /media/cdrom does not point to anything. Is this the expected behavior and if so how do I get just general access to the cdrom?
Jose

cybergalvez
May 7th, 2008, 03:31 AM
ok I followed the advice from a different thread

Maybe, try this:

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

Replace:

/dev/cdrom0 /media/cdrom0 auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /media/cdrom1 auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

By:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

mount -a

Regards

and now I can kind of see my cdrom, however with gutsy if I had a cdrom/dvd in either cdrom it was accessible via /media/cdrom, now /media/cdrom only points to cdrom0
Jose

comandrei
May 7th, 2008, 05:32 AM
You could have just commented out the line reffering to the CDROM in /etc/apt/sources.list ( I think it was the first one). sudo apt-get update and you are done.

cybergalvez
May 8th, 2008, 12:37 AM
You could have just commented out the line reffering to the CDROM in /etc/apt/sources.list ( I think it was the first one). sudo apt-get update and you are done.

true, but the real problem was that the cdrom access is whacked after the upgrade. Not being able to do the install is only the symptom

Jose

cub
May 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM
There are more threads with the same issue. The workaround seem to be to boot the pc with a cd in the tray. Then I get my cdrom just as normal. Boot without a cd in, no cdrom.

jenik
May 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I have exactly the same problem. Changed my fstab as instructed, tried rebooting with a DVD in cdrom but to no avail. Can't see cdrom contents in Dolphin, although KDE will detect a DVD and try to play it but Kaffeine then fails to open the file, same for other players. Cdrom just doesn't seem to exist. Any ideas?

jenik
May 12th, 2008, 10:47 PM
After searching the forum extensively, booting to the 2.6.24-16-generic kernel, versus the 2.6.24-16-i386 kernel fixed the DVD.

cub
May 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
After searching the forum extensively, booting to the 2.6.24-16-generic kernel, versus the 2.6.24-16-i386 kernel fixed the DVD.
I only gave the generic kernel in my boot menu which doesn't make my dvd work.