PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Magellan GPS with HH

bmcase
May 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hi all-- first post here. I am looking for some info on getting a Magellan 210 GPS working with Hardy Heron. Any suggestions? Like maybe a more appropriate forum for this question? Thanks in advance...

Whiffle
May 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM
what do you want to do with it?

bmcase
May 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I would like to install the software that came with it. It conects with USB and HH recognizes there is a device connected (I can browse and transfer the files); but I am not able to install the software on my machine so that I can edit map regions, tracks, waypoints, etc. and then upload them to the unit. This and PhotoShop are the only things keeping me tied to Windows.

Also, a true newbie question: How do I get apps to run at start-up in Ubuntu?

Thanks...

bmcase
May 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Never mind on the start-up question, I figured that one out. Still looking for help on the GPS though...

Whiffle
May 7th, 2008, 11:59 PM
You can probably install it with Wine (available through synaptic). Then you'll have to link the device of the USB gps to a com port in wine i think. I can tell you how to do that once you get wine installed.

bmcase
May 8th, 2008, 12:32 AM
OK thanks. I will try that and see how far I can get.

Also, is it bad to give yourself rwx permissions on /usr/share. I am not giving all users rwx permissions, just myself (and root, of course). This way I can add wallpapers, screenlets, etc. to the necessary folders without having to become root first.

bmcase
May 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Okay, I finished my finals, installed Wine and downloaded some Wine documentation. I'm gonna try to figure it out for myself; but if I have questions-- should I post them in this forum or just PM you? Also, will I still be able to use the GPS with Windows, or will it only work in Linux?
Sorry for the newbie questions...

Whiffle
May 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
It should work with both as along as the GPS software doesn't care. Just post up here, I've got this thread subscribed. I may not be able to help much for a bit though, I'm not done with finals yet...