PDA

View Full Version : My Mockup for Intrepid Ibex

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 12:05 AM
So I took the last 2 days to make this mockup- some things still arent done/ I deleted-

1) Needs Nautilus menu Icons
2) Needs Close/Min/Max Icons
3) Needs a unified Icon set- on that is glassy and transparent

This theme changes with the background, so different backgrounds give it its own theme.

Any suggestions?

PS: The one with the Hardy background is further along in refinement.

Compare with OS X and Vista.

Ozor Mox
May 7th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Where is it?! :confused:

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Where is it?! :confused:

They are there now sorry!

And another one...

Joeb454
May 7th, 2008, 12:51 AM

So....you want the Vista icons?

Not everybody thinks glassy and transparent is a good look

saj0577
May 7th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Im liking the look of it so far, looks great.

Saj

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 12:57 AM
So....you want the Vista icons?

Not everybody thinks glassy and transparent is a good look

Not in a Vista way- If I make then colorized, then the default will be set to one color, and I dont want to make the theme have to make that choice. I want some that are glassy and transparent, but not vista like...

NightwishFan
May 7th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Personally I like it. The menu icon is nice, although there should be a base theme without transparency as well.

Polygon
May 7th, 2008, 01:11 AM
it goes against the pallet of ubuntu colors.

We are ubuntu-, not vista. We should stick to the ubuntu colors for the defaut theme, even if you dont like it.

SuperSon!c
May 7th, 2008, 01:15 AM
i say keep giving us mock-ups that **** people off. i like them, good job man.

Whiffle
May 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Not too bad, as long as the transparency can be shutoff. That much transparency would drive me (more) insane. OTOH, it reminds me alot of vista... hmm.

maniacmusician
May 7th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Glass, when overdone, is one of the most ugliest sights to behold. I have a tiny bit of glass on my dark emerald themes, but those mockups are just taking it too far. It just looks boring and shiny.

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Not too bad, as long as the transparency can be shutoff. That much transparency would drive me (more) insane. OTOH, it reminds me a lot of vista... hmm.

There was a poll I put up recently, and 75% of the users that visit this forum preferred the look of OSX/Vista/this type of improvement over the current Ubuntu theme.

I think being able to shut it off would be good... but what would it go back to? Set it where it goes back say, to the current color? But still with the same organization, icons, and rounded edges?

Nano Geek
May 7th, 2008, 01:30 AM
The problem is that it cannot be implemented. GNOME is just not capable yet of doing all those transparency effects yet.

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 01:32 AM
The problem is that it cannot be implemented. GNOME is just not capable yet of doing all those transparency effects yet.

Isn't Ibex supposed to be top down?
And with engines yes we could! Yes it will take work, but it is worth it.

spacefreak86
May 7th, 2008, 01:39 AM
The transparency looks nice, but make sure there is an option somewhere to change the color or opaqueness of it. The icons are a) too big, b) bad color and c) look far too much like Vista. Other than those two items, what else did you change?

cardinals_fan
May 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I really like the new menu (but move search to the bottom). Otherwise, the transparency is ugly.

Whiffle
May 7th, 2008, 01:48 AM
There was a poll I put up recently, and 75% of the users that visit this forum preferred the look of OSX/Vista/this type of improvement over the current Ubuntu theme.

I think being able to shut it off would be good... but what would it go back to? Set it where it goes back say, to the current color? But still with the same organization, icons, and rounded edges?

Transparency feels more like a fad to me. OS X has it, vista has it, everyones doing it. I'd much rather see a beautifully designed interface w/o tons of transparent effects than just another interface (ie the gnome one), with a bunch of transparency thrown in. If its truly something nice, unique and well thought out, transparency won't be a distraction and will actually make it look nicer. Right now its like "hey, we've got this cool transparency thing, lets use it on everything we can get our hands on because its so darn cool !!!111one!cos(0)"

If it were up to me, when shut it off it would go back to being not transparent, just the same old boring whatever color. This is mostly because I find transparency to be rather distracting if its in the wrong places when I'm trying to get things done.

As far as the layout goes, meh. Its nothing amazing and looks to me to lack some functionality (ie, a home button in the file manager, unless thats the "username" button). I don't see whats with all the search boxes either. Maybe I'm weird, but I almost never need a search box to find stuff on my own computer. I do like the single menu though, its much cleaner than the current triple menu gnome thing. Although its awful windows-95 ish...

Lastly, this isn't anything new, but why does gnome have a top bar thats 99% empty, and another task bar at the bottom? It seems like a waste of screen real estate to me.

I think overall, I'd love to get some kind of survey going that asks what people want in an interface, in terms of overall functionality, eye candy, ease of use, any ideas they might have, etc etc. Right now it seems like theres the windows way, and the mac way, and every other default ui is basically a variation on that. I know we can come up with something more original than that.

kk0sse54
May 7th, 2008, 01:56 AM
vista-ish :(

-gabe-noob-
May 7th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I like your tastes, but they're right its just a little to transparent, darken the windows a tad and I'd love it. Also keep in mind it has to work from gnome and gnome only. (maybe include some of the more transparencies in compiz, but tone it down a lot for gnome?)

klange
May 7th, 2008, 02:15 AM

False. Shall I show you the Gedit I use? Or my own personal copy of CCSM? It requires some small changes to each individual app, but it's very easily possible. Granted, you have to account for tray icons, which will crash if you try to give them an RGBA colormap, so you can't just make one change to GTK and be done with it (someone tried, the panel doesn't start, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. won't start, Pidgin crashes on its tray icon, but most everything else works).

However, I agree with most everyone else in this thread, this is a little too much.

Ripfox
May 7th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Current default themes suck. I change them immediately :lolflag:

-gabe-noob-
May 7th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I think the extent of gnome transparancy in my desktop is the terminal (which I keep fully trasparent so I can see the codes given to me on the forum when I type them in)

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Ok some quick thoughts:
1) Look at the screenshot for a mazimized window. Too much?
2) Icons are in need of a fix... I said that in original post.
3) Apps wouldnt have to integrate, just make the ones that rely on Gtk for their look do so, like Nautilus, Cheese, Add/Remove...
4) Opps about the wtask bar--- That is hw I set mine up and I forgot the the default is up top.
5) Search bars are good.They could minimize within Nautilus htough, and appear in that place when you type, sort of like it does now.
6) I dont want to pick a color. That brings up a while entire new argument.

the yawner
May 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I think overall, I'd love to get some kind of survey going that asks what people want in an interface, in terms of overall functionality, eye candy, ease of use, any ideas they might have, etc etc. Right now it seems like theres the windows way, and the mac way, and every other default ui is basically a variation on that. I know we can come up with something more original than that.
How about a separate survey for each category you've mentioned? A survey about eyecandy levels/ideas and usability.

False. Shall I show you the Gedit I use? Or my own personal copy of CCSM? It requires some small changes to each individual app, but it's very easily possible. Granted, you have to account for tray icons, which will crash if you try to give them an RGBA colormap, so you can't just make one change to GTK and be done with it (someone tried, the panel doesn't start, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. won't start, Pidgin crashes on its tray icon, but most everything else works).

However, I agree with most everyone else in this thread, this is a little too much.
I think I'll just wait for Cimi's Murrine engine. :KS

=====
@acelin
A few questions and comments...
- On your mockups, I assume the focused windows are the ones drawn with lighter transparencies while unfocused ones are more solid-looking? In my opinion, transparencies work better for unfocused windows. This makes unfocused windows easier to ignore when you're working on the focused window.

- I have qualms with the unified title bar and menu bar. This reduces the area where you can grab a window without using the Alt button.

- Can you tell me more about the redundant search fields? Do they have any specific functions or do they both work the same way?

- I like your version of the Ubuntu logo as a menu button. I think it's much better than emulating Windows' orb button. It retains the identity but gives it a refreshing angle (literally and metaphorically). I wish Gnome could support this (drawing of an icon that overlaps the panel boundaries) so that we won't have to resort to using screenlets.

- Any reason why the upper panel is almost empty? When you have a lot of windows opened - translating to more contents on the windows list - the weight (in terms of contents) of the two panels will be imbalanced.

edit:
I recommend the following items from Gnome HIG (in case you haven't checked them out yet).
Usability Principles (http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/principles.html.en)
Visual Design (http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/design.html.en)

-gabe-noob-
May 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM
in your next mockup use one of my backgrounds too :P

the VAH is the initials for a band: Van Atta High (THEY ROCK+ my freind's brother is the drummer :O))

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM
@acelin
A few questions and comments...
- On your mockups, I assume the focused windows are the ones drawn with lighter transparencies while unfocused ones are more solid-looking? In my opinion, transparencies work better for unfocused windows. This makes unfocused windows easier to ignore when you're working on the focused window.

- I have qualms with the unified title bar and menu bar. This reduces the area where you can grab a window without using the Alt button.

- Can you tell me more about the redundant search fields? Do they have any specific functions or do they both work the same way?
- Any reason why the upper panel is almost empty? When you have a lot of windows opened - translating to more contents on the windows list - the weight (in terms of contents) of the two panels will be imbalanced.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will take everyone's opinion into consideration. My idea with the windows was that the brighter one would draw the eye more... I will work on it more.

The upper panel will be taken care of! Thanks for noticing haha

The search field was addressed in a previous post of mine.

Oh and I didnt realize what I did to Nautilus... I will change that. That would be bad :(

Polygon
May 7th, 2008, 04:11 AM

yeah it 'requires small changes to each app', what he means that upstream gnome isnt capable of this unless someone go aheads and sends in patches to gnome to allow this without modification

madjr
May 7th, 2008, 04:51 AM
So I took the last 2 days to make this mockup- some things still arent done/ I deleted-

This theme changes with the background, so different backgrounds give it its own theme.

Any suggestions?

Compare with OS X and Vista.

most of the stuff on the mockup can be done already

would you do us a favor?

make your current desktop as close to the mockup as possible and show us a real screenshot

you would be giving the devs a hand to making this a reality. You might even see "most" of those features implemented. Ibex might look just as good as your mockups.

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 05:00 AM

would you do us a favor?

make your current desktop as close to the mockup as possible and show us a real screenshot

Funny thing is... I dont have Ubuntu right now. My current machine was running it off of an external HD... and that drive died...

So I am on Vista.

cardinals_fan
May 7th, 2008, 05:00 AM

would you do us a favor?

+1

Ioky
May 7th, 2008, 06:32 AM
It looks pretty good I would say, however, I think the ubuntu icon shouldn't looks like that, just make it more 2D. I like the clear looking over all. I think the whole transparent thing are now there yet though, it can be much more, try to combine it with some 2D graphic, instead pure transparent. I get a feeling that Ubuntu II will one of the most powerful OS at the time it release.

phaed
May 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Transparency feels more like a fad to me.

I think all compositing effects are a fad. People quickly realize how useless they are. Nobody is going to memorize a dozen three-key combinations to use them. Other than typing text, if I can't use my mouse, I'm not going to use a function.

duckgoesoink
May 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know, but I keep thinking of Vista when I look at these. Also, perhaps there is a little too much transparency?

(Personally I am not a fan of huge levels of transparency - I turned off the visual effects in Hardy because the transparencies annoyed me - if you have a lot of windows open it can look messy.)

klange
May 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think I'll just wait for Cimi's Murrine engine. :KS

What do you think I use? It still requires hacking all every GTK app. What's there to wait for is the permanent hack in GTK that both sets it for everything and fixes it for those programs that don't work.

pt123
May 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Please not the Vista crap. Hopefully it will be trendy and unqiue like "Elegant Brit"
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Elegant+Brit?content=74553

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Um come on guys.... the poll that was taken here led me ot believe that 75% of Ubuntu forums users, who tend to be against things like this ( at least the outspoken ones) like the look of this/Vista/Leopard over the current look. I wont be removing the transparency from my mockups, although I could see an alternate in the works.

I remember when power computer users were saying the GUI was a fad... the mouse was a fad... hmm...

Compositing? yeah, some of those arent necessary, but you know what? Arent they in be DEFAULT now?

This is something that looks beautiful.

Larir
May 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
The mockup looks too busy for me... but I like simplistic things, hehe.

I really wish they'll make a simple and clean but still attractive theme for the Ibex (I like human-clearlooks, so if they could build on that) and that it'll be a Compiz theme. They already made it default so why not make the theme around it?

Of course there has to be choices for using a different theme for those that don't use the desktop effects (like me at the moment).

geoken
May 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I think people should restrain there mockups to things that are technically possible if they hope to see inclusion in Ibex.

Rule of thumb: If you aren't able to implement your mockup in a functioning desktop because it requires massive restructuring of Nautilus or the panel or specific panel applets or all of the above, then it's safe to assume your mockup goes well beyond the scope of 'themeing'.

I'm not saying mockups like this shouldn't be made, I just think that they should be titled as topaz brainstorms or gnome brainstorms.

It makes it more difficult to choose themes because a lot of these mockups look visually stunning, but at second glance most of the aesthetic impact is due to technically impossible UI re-arrangements rather than great color pallets and carefully placed pixmaps. Sometimes, the technically impossible aspects aren't easy to spot immidiately and it makes people have to carefully reveiw every theme to make sure the visual appeal isn't due to unrealistic UI re-arrangements

quinnten83
May 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Funny thing is... I dont have Ubuntu right now. My current machine was running it off of an external HD... and that drive died...

So I am on Vista.

SACRILEGE!!!!

graabein
May 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't like it. Icons are too big, transparency is overdone and it's too glossy and loud. That's my 2 cents.

I prefer a plainer more professional look with more subtle screen effects. Right now I have Aurora GTK (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Aurora+Gtk+Engine?content=56438) (sort of like Blended (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Blended?content=26050)) with rounded window borders that uses the colour from GTK (don't remember the link, sorry) and either GNOME 2.18 icons or just Tango icons. I'm at work so I can't post/link to screenshot.

But keep em coming. Mockups and ideas for improving the theme/GUI are healthy for discussion, even though there's been relatively small changes to the human clearlooks orange and brown, the default theme is evolving.

Btw this thread belongs in the Art & Design forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16).

23meg
May 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I think people should restrain there mockups to things that are technically possible if they hope to see inclusion in Ibex.

Rule of thumb: If you aren't able to implement your mockup in a functioning desktop because it requires massive restructuring of Nautilus or the panel or specific panel applets or all of the above, then it's safe to assume your mockup goes well beyond the scope of 'themeing'.

I'm not saying mockups like this shouldn't be made, I just think that they should be titled as topaz brainstorms or gnome brainstorms.

It makes it more difficult to choose themes because a lot of these mockups look visually stunning, but at second glance most of the aesthetic impact is due to technically impossible UI re-arrangements rather than great color pallets and carefully placed pixmaps. Sometimes, the technically impossible aspects aren't easy to spot immidiately and it makes people have to carefully reveiw every theme to make sure the visual appeal isn't due to unrealistic UI re-arrangements

I cannot stress enough how important this is.

If you're thinking of default inclusion, or inclusion in Universe in Intrepid, you should not only be realistic in terms of what you can accomplish in five months or so, but also coordinate with people who develop the theme engine, window decorator and compositor you're thinking of employing, as well as get closely acquainted with the Ubuntu development and artwork selection procedures, since what you realistically can and cannot do depends on what these people will be shipping and what their policies will allow in the next few months. A good way to start is to join the ubuntu-art mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art) (as well as read the posts from the last few weeks; there's been plenty of traffic since the Hardy release).

Otherwise you'll most likely keep disappointing people who will drool over your impossible to accomplish but cool mockup, and come complaining at the end of the cycle: "What happened to all that great work on the wiki? Why wasn't it included?". Well, it essentially didn't exist, that's why.

days_of_ruin
May 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Too much transparency.But I like how there isn't a divide between the window
top and the rest.

Nano Geek
May 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM

I'm assuming that you are using the new Murina engine? I would like to see what you've done, but here are some of the things that I know cannot be done right now in GNOME. There is no search box in Nautilus. It is impossible to but the the window menu on the titlebar itself. The Applications menu icon cannot overlap the panel. I don't think you can have a panel background image and have it transparent at the same time. Though I could be wrong. Rounded menus are not possible yet either. It would be nice if we could do all those things, but I don't think that can be accomplished in less than six months.

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Update:

1) The window/menu seperation has been fixed.

2) The font is the same size as the current theme. I will make this bigger so it looks like its on a larger screen. Same thing with the icon set that still needs replacing.

I am basing the use of transparency off of its popularity. I have been asking my friends which they like better, and overwhlemingly people lie transparency. This also include the opinions of the forums...A poll I have up showed that between 2/3's and 3/4's of Ubuntu Forum members prefer the transparent/glass/smooth/rounded look to a flat, opaque, square look.

With techonological problems, I believe that its time to push for this. The whole idea with Ibex was to start form the top down and redesign the desktop interface to be more usable tand professional. I will continue to refine my idea, this is just the first example. Keep on coming with suggestions, but please, stop asking to remove the transparency. It is an integral part of this look I dub "Clear," although I have toyed around with a non transparent look that does look awesome. I might just post it.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments thus so far!

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM

If you're thinking of default inclusion, or inclusion in Universe in Intrepid, you should not only be realistic in terms of what you can accomplish in five months or so, but also coordinate with people who develop the theme engine, window decorator and compositor you're thinking of employing, as well as get closely acquainted with the Ubuntu development and artwork selection procedures, since what you realistically can and cannot do depends on what these people will be shipping and what their policies will allow in the next few months. A good way to start is to join the ubuntu-art mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art) (as well as read the posts from the last few weeks; there's been plenty of traffic since the Hardy release).

Otherwise you'll most likely keep disappointing people who will drool over your impossible to accomplish but cool mockup, and come complaining at the end of the cycle: "What happened to all that great work on the wiki? Why wasn't it included?". Well, it essentially didn't exist, that's why.

Ok so I joined the list, what should be the next step?

Ripfox
May 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Please not the Vista crap. Hopefully it will be trendy and unqiue like "Elegant Brit"

Yes...having the window navigation buttons on the left is "unique" *cough* mac *cough*

geoken
May 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Yes...having the window navigation buttons on the left is "unique" *cough* mac *cough*

So the theme is not unique because after you poured over it with a fine tooth comb you were able to find a feature which is similar to another OS?

That would be like me posting a Ferrari Enzo as an example of a unique supercar design and you sarcastically responding with "Yes...circular shaped dashboard gauges are really unique"

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM

This theme is awful. It is drab, and looks ancient.

duckgoesoink
May 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM

So... navigation buttons on the left = Mac
Guess navigation buttons on the right = Windows

Where shall we put our navigation buttons? Maybe in the centre is more to your fancy?

P.S. I like Elegant Brit. But for now I'm using Clearlooks-Colors with its X-Colors Lite window border from gnome-look.org - it feels more like Ubuntu to me.

Ripfox
May 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM
bottom middle to be exact

Actually I just thought that theme was ugly as sin...

Oh and it was the first thing I happened to look at so, no it doesn't take intense examination to notice it. :lolflag:

madjr
May 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM

+1

duckgoesoink
May 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
@ripfox

Bottom middle sounds good. You should make a theme. ;-)

-gabe-noob-
May 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Wow you actualy used one of my wallpapers :D

(the more and more I look at your mockups the more I want them!!!!)

acelin
May 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Wow you actualy used one of my wallpapers :D

(the more and more I look at your mockups the more I want them!!!!)

Thanks! This is Version 2. Many improvements- from the Ubuntu Forum member's suggestions.

1) I have made the canvas larger to give the appearance that the fonts are small, as well as the icons.

2) The top panel has been fixed.

3) The search in Nautilus was removed, but it would still appear beneath the min/max/close icons in the window when you begin to type.

4) The search bar in the menu was moved to the bottom. This would be better, and I meant for it to be that way originally.

5) The back/forward/up/refesh icons ar emissing, but they are all in a row in one "button" area, in order to be compact and obvious to new users.

Things still need to be done:

1)Continued refinement of window edges.

2) I want to use an open source font. This font is Segoe UI. I cant seem to get one of the nice Liberation Fonts to work in Photoshop. (Dont complain please... I didn't have to pay for it, and I prefer it over Gimp.)

3) Icons. Biggest change needed, and I dont know if I should try and do it or get someone else to make the unified Icon set for "Clear." I don't really care for the Glass Icon theme on Gnome-look, and many icons are missing that I would need here.

I have begun to figure out how the art process works here, in order to hopefully get this implemented.

Screenshot below:

pt123
May 8th, 2008, 03:52 AM

There are two corners so if Mac takes the other does that mean we all have to stick with the one left? ridiculous.

yatt
May 8th, 2008, 04:24 AM

Any suggestions?

Compare with OS X and Vista.Try a mockup with a Black and White background.

cardinals_fan
May 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I don't like the left-hand buttons, but how else is it drab?

acelin
May 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I don't like the left-hand buttons, but how else is it drab?

1) Flat
2) Square
3) No gradients
4) Horrible font

acelin
May 8th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Actually ignore that. The font is fine. It is actually nice...

akiratheoni
May 8th, 2008, 07:04 AM

No, you hate it because it's simple.

I don't know about you but I'd pick simplicity over fancy transparencies. I admit, I'm entertained by the Compiz Fusion effects, but when the day ends, Openbox does the job for me.

So far the only thing I've liked about your mock up is the Ubuntu menu. But adding the search makes it feel like a Vista start menu except it's on the top instead of the bottom.

Honestly, I don't like it. Far too much attempts at so-called eye candy. Eye candy isn't always flashy cube effects and transparency. Whatever happened to KISS?

The poll that I believe you're referring to had 83 votes in it. That's far from a representative sample of the whole forums. One third of the voters indicated they preferred the current Ubuntu which was the top result. Correct me if you're referring to a different poll.

madjr
May 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks! This is Version 2. Many improvements- from the Ubuntu Forum member's suggestions.

1) I have made the canvas larger to give the appearance that the fonts are small, as well as the icons.

2) The top panel has been fixed.

3) The search in Nautilus was removed, but it would still appear beneath the min/max/close icons in the window when you begin to type.

4) The search bar in the menu was moved to the bottom. This would be better, and I meant for it to be that way originally.

5) The back/forward/up/refesh icons ar emissing, but they are all in a row in one "button" area, in order to be compact and obvious to new users.

Things still need to be done:

1)Continued refinement of window edges.

2) I want to use an open source font. This font is Segoe UI. I cant seem to get one of the nice Liberation Fonts to work in Photoshop. (Dont complain please... I didn't have to pay for it, and I prefer it over Gimp.)

3) Icons. Biggest change needed, and I dont know if I should try and do it or get someone else to make the unified Icon set for "Clear." I don't really care for the Glass Icon theme on Gnome-look, and many icons are missing that I would need here.

I have begun to figure out how the art process works here, in order to hopefully get this implemented.

Screenshot below:

try usp for the menu or speak to the devs so they can make it the way u like it (it's easier than you think)

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2932/applicationsvm6.jpg

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8213/usp1qo5.png

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=222546&highlight=usp

as for nautilus, it's getting many improvements:

Nautilus File Manager

* Toolbar editor

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786077

the other stuff is easy to get

acelin
May 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks madjr! I jsut to figure out a way for people not to assume this is a rip off of vista... trust me, I am using Vista while creating this as my UBuntu box died, and am waiting for a new one. It looks nothing like Vista.

geoken
May 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
1) Flat
2) Square
3) No gradients

To each their own. Every point you posted above is a reason why I love that theme.

I guess not everyone is a regular on colourlovers.com.

acelin
May 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
To each their own. Every point you posted above is a reason why I love that theme.

I guess not everyone is a regular on colourlovers.com.

Well most people like nice things.

Ripfox
May 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM
There are two corners so if Mac takes the other does that mean we all have to stick with the one left? ridiculous.

Mac's are on the left so I guess you mean do we have to stick with the one on the right. ;-)

acelin
May 9th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Come see my artwork at the Ubuntu art wiki!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Clear_Intrepid

pt123
May 9th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Mac's are on the left so I guess you mean do we have to stick with the one on the right. ;-)

"left" as in what is available, not the position (i.e. left/right).

cardinals_fan
May 9th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Well most people like nice things.
Remember that different people have different opinions on what is 'nice'.

1) Flat
2) Square
3) No gradients

1. Does this refer to #3?
2. What's wrong with square? :confused:
3. I like gradients too ;)

Ripfox
May 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
"left" as in what is available, not the position (i.e. left/right).

:lolflag:

Point I was making is mac is the only OS I know of that has buttons on the left natively. I can name 200 that have them on the right. So I guess that was apple's original idea. :)

Actually there are four corners anyways ;)

acelin
May 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Remember that different people have different opinions on what is 'nice'.

1. Does this refer to #3?
2. What's wrong with square? :confused:
3. I like gradients too ;)

Yes and most people like my mockup :D

master5o1
May 9th, 2008, 07:37 AM
So... navigation buttons on the left = Mac
Guess navigation buttons on the right = Windows

Where shall we put our navigation buttons? Maybe in the centre is more to your fancy?

P.S. I like Elegant Brit. But for now I'm using Clearlooks-Colors with its X-Colors Lite window border from gnome-look.org - it feels more like Ubuntu to me.

Not a bad idea actually. Putting the buttons in format: _ X [] (minimise, close, maximise).
It could work. And it is a compromise between Mac OS X and Windows. haha.

Also, if you make the close button larger and circular and 'popping out' (like the vista start menu icon) and have the min-max buttons on either side 'hugging' the close button it could look really nice.

I would like a colour of:
close: Red
min-max: greenish-aqua / turquoise

madjr
May 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Not a bad idea actually. Putting the buttons in format: _ X [] (minimise, close, maximise).
It could work. And it is a compromise between Mac OS X and Windows. haha.

Also, if you make the close button larger and circular and 'popping out' (like the vista start menu icon) and have the min-max buttons on either side 'hugging' the close button it could look really nice.

I would like a colour of:
close: Red
min-max: greenish-aqua / turquoise

oh please no, i woudl stop using ubuntu if that happened !

i don't want to accidentally close what am working on when i try to maximize it!

what i like better is the xfce style it's intuitive and gives a small touch of originality

acelin
May 10th, 2008, 04:55 AM
oh please no, i woudl stop using ubuntu if that happened !

i don't want to accidentally close what am working on when i try to maximize it!

what i like better is the xfce style it's intuitive and gives a small touch of originality

Anyone else have any suggestions? I think I found an icon theme...

acelin
May 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I still need an icon theme! Anyone got a good one?

acelin
May 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
So I am really close to putting up new pics... a lot of improvements have been made. I just need new icons!

Ripfox
May 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Oxygen Refit.

cardinals_fan
May 13th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I still need an icon theme! Anyone got a good one?
Tango.

acelin
May 13th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Tango.

I dont think you understood me. A good one is one that doesnt look like a toy.

cOzAtS
May 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I totaly love it! Its absolutely gorgeous and i really believe its a lokk at the future.Keep it up and if you need anyhelp in designing staff bug me, i'll be more than glad to help in any way i can (at least as a graphic designer cause in code...:S)

oh, the only "negative"? thing is it looks like cairo shell for winblows: http://http://www.cairoshell.com/
But i guess its better...

Sir_Sid
August 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM
What is the big deal over etransparency. Some people like it, others dont. I think it looks fantastic