PDA

View Full Version : [Art] What's meant by original (edition) prints?

rye_
May 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hello,

For the last few weeks I've been walking past a good quality art shop, which features an artist who's work I really like. I'm just waiting to buy one I really love.

I know nothing about art (but I know what I like, like monty python :))
but I'm a little put off by this idea of print editions of a painting. The artist, Paul Kenton, produces editions limited to 95.

Could someone who knows about the stuff explain it to me, How does its work? do such prints hold their value, etc. (the paintings I'm interested cost approx £500 -700.

Thanks,

Ryan

duckgoesoink
May 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
The print editions will obviously cost less and have less value than the original painting but will retain more value than they would if they weren't limited to a certain number (only 95 people can have an authentic print).

If the print editions weren't limited then they would retain no value at all. The smaller the number of printed editions, the higher the value. (eg. If the print run was limited to 1000 then the individual value of each print would be a lot less than if the print run was limited to 10.)

rye_
May 7th, 2008, 11:41 AM
thanks for the reply duck',

just a couple of follow up questions.

How are these prints produced? the paintings I have seen would appear to have been painted by hand. should I expect there to be minor differences between each edition print?

cheers,

Ryan

duckgoesoink
May 7th, 2008, 12:30 PM
There generally shouldn't be minor differences between prints - they are replicas of the original painting. However, due to printing processes there may be very minor differences. Perhaps you could ask in the shop what printing process was used (or even the artist), but I doubt they would have been painted by hand - they wouldn't be called prints if they were.

As a sidenote, if you intend on buying a print for investment purposes, be very careful - art as investment is a risky business. Much easier to buy art just because you like it and want something few other people can have. :-)

smoker
May 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
he has his own website that may offer some info:
http://www.paulkentongallery.co.uk/

magoni
June 21st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to add that although most prints are taken from an original so should be identical, some artists including Paul Kenton will actually finish each print off by hand. Adding an extra individual layer to each print. This is why the prints you have seen will probably look like originals and the price is a little more than a normal print. This method suits Pauls work as he uses that drizzle technique that makes his work stand out.
They should explain that in the gallery but hope it helps

Neil