PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] grub error 18 please help

five_tools
May 6th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm getting a grub error 18 after I installed Kubuntu.

My configuration already consisted of XP and Kubuntu. But, I wanted to try Kubuntu KDE4 so I just re-sized the first Kubuntu partition to make room. So now I have XP on the first partition, then Kubuntu on the second and another Kubuntu on the third.

In hindsight I wish I never even did it, because I can't use my computer at all now because of the grub 18 error.

Can anybody help? I don't even care about either Kubuntu installation. I would delete them if I knew how, and if it got rid of the error. I just need to be able to use Windows again, because that's the one my family and I use regularly.

p.s. I know what the error means, but the only way I've read how to fix it is to put a boot partition at the beginning of the xp partition. But that's way over my head.

Scheater5
May 6th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Bulldog once salvaged a borked grub of mine with these instructions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1587929). YMMV, especially considering the problem could stem from the resizing of partitions. For future reference, KDE 3 and KDE4 can easily coexist. Just install the KDE4 metas from the ubuntu repos (kubuntu-desktop-kde4, I believe is what it is called) and you'll find KDE4 in your session menu.

five_tools
May 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
That's for reinstalling grub, right?

I don't think that's going to fix it, because even with a brand new install, grub is still going to produce that error.

Anyone else?

Pumalite
May 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
This might help:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#18
This implies you might need to make a /boot partition of about 200 MB.

five_tools
May 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Pumalite: I'll try that. It doesn't look easy, though.

Pumalite
May 7th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Good luck.

five_tools
May 7th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Well, I've been trying to access "setup" so I can check the bios version. But even that is a challenge. I'm pushing the keys Compaq told me to push (f1 or f10; I've also tried f2 and del to no avail).

I'm getting frustrated, so I think I'll pick this up tomorrow.

I'm still open to new ideas.

PhucilliJerry
May 7th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Well, I've been trying to access "setup" so I can check the bios version. But even that is a challenge. I'm pushing the keys Compaq told me to push (f1 or f10; I've also tried f2 and del to no avail).

I'm getting frustrated, so I think I'll pick this up tomorrow.

I'm still open to new ideas.

Don't give up, I'm a complete noob to linux and I managed to work around this. I had to setup three partitions on my HD, 1. boot partition, 2. file system (or whatever you call it) and 3. a swap partition. Once I did this and re-installed, the Grub error was gone.

Good luck.

five_tools
May 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
It's fixed. I reinstalled kubuntu over top the first Kubuntu. And at the same time, I deleted the third partition and swap.

Thanks, everybody, for responding.

*Scheater5
*Pumalite
*PhucilliJerry

It felt awful not being able to use my computer.

Scheater5
May 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM
No worries, glad you got it fixed. Let us know if you have any trouble getting kde3 and kde4 installed.

Pumalite
May 9th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Happy Ubuntuing!