PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] weird....

rywibr
May 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
So I went to install ubuntu 7.10 on my sister's desktop (don't worry, I asked her permission first =P) and weirdly enough the liveCD wasn't recognised at all on her system... which is really weird cause its the same disc I used on my laptop, and my guess is that her computer is fairly old so maybe thats why. But honestly, I have no idea.

Its annoying me cause I made a liveUSB which doesn't work on her PC either cause the BIOS doesnt give the option of booting to a usb device:(

any suggestions on how to get it to work?

wpshooter
May 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I am correct in that you are saying that you did try making the CD drive the first boot device in BIOS, correct ?

rywibr
May 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
yes, i did.

I'm not that slow :P

-quick response btw, thanks :)

haiji
May 6th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Maybe you can try another liveCD (8.04, other distro... etc) to see what happens...

rywibr
May 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
hmm... well I'll get right on that once I get some cash cause I'm all out of blank discs :(

wpshooter
May 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM
hmm... well I'll get right on that once I get some cash cause I'm all out of blank discs :(

Always pay a little more and get CD-RW media and you can use them over & over & over again.

Also, have you tried updating the firmware on the CD drive to the latest version ?

thisiam
May 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
check this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot) out or WUBI, haven't tried wubi myself but from what i have read from other users here its easy setup.