PDA

View Full Version : Petition to Adobe to port CS to Linux

n1kol@!
May 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The main reason why most graphic designers do not use Linux is the fact that the software available on Linux just simply doesn't match up to Adobe software. Software such as Gimp and Inkscape is coming along nicely, but it's still light years behind the likes of Photoshop and Illustrator. But since I tried Ubuntu, openSUSE and some others (and I'm sure many people feel the same way) I simply do not want to go back to *******. I have tried to work with the opensource programs but I am not as productive and the tools are much less powerful.

So my idea is the following:

I want to get as many people as possible to complain to Adobe about the lack of a Linux version of their Creative Suite. Until the 25th of May, I want people posting drafts of a letter that will be sent to Adobe customer support (or to an email address) by as many people as possible. A way to contact customer support is to scroll to the the bottom http://www.adobe.com and click on Contact Us (http://www.adobe.com/go/gftray_foot_contact_adobe), then click on Open A New Case/Incident (http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal) and then proceed. The Downside of this is that you have to sign up on the Adobe website, so if anyone knows another way, please post it.

So here is the schedule:
-people post drafts of letters containing reasons why Adobe should port their creative suite to Linux - until the 25th of May
-during the next month or two, tons of people will send these letters to Adobe (if anyone has a good idea regarding the way these messages will reach Adobe in the most effective way, please post it)

Some reasons:
-porting the Adobe Creative Suite from Carbon to Cocoa to support 64-bit (see this (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144119-c,graphicsmultimedia/article.html) ) will cost Adobe MUCH more than porting it to Linux, as it is already in C++.
-More and more businesses are migrating to Linux and Vista is a failure
-They are already porting Flex Builder
-please post more reasons

AND PLEASE PEOPLE DON'T BE SHY. IF NOBODY EVER DOES ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, ADOBE WILL IGNORE IT!!!

Have a nice day:guitar:

PS: Post a link to this thread on your site/blog/another forum/whatever, so that as many people as possible get the message
PPS: Don't ignore this
PPPS: The reason why I chose the ubuntu forums for this is the large amount of activity and helpfulness of users, so please live up to the standard of these forums and help with this.

Barrucadu
May 6th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hmm, I might do this. CS2 is the one thing I really miss on Linux. However - I don't imagine that customer support will do anything than delete the emails. To actually have a chance of something happening, emails need to be sent to someone higehr up.

geoken
May 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Flexbuilder is an Eclipse plugin. I dodn't think it really strengthens the argument to use that as an example.

saj0577
May 6th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The emails need to be sent to one of the MD for it to have any effect I think and the emails need to be sent like 100 a day non stop for 2 weeks all with identical subject titles and the same ideas in the content.

They will delete 99% of the emails but they only need to read one and they will know what they are all about and if there are enough people they may consider discussing it at the next marketing meeting.

Saj

Half-Left
May 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I feel your pain but it's not going to happen anytime soon, I've just learned Photoshop tutorials in GIMP and am not going to any other OS just for a few apps.

Thats fine if you need it for training or as a job but vmware is as far as I'll go.

kevin11951
May 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
these are the people you need to talk to:

Corporate headquarters

Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110-2704
Tel: 408-536-6000
Fax: 408-537-6000

Ub1476
May 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
What might work is to create a website dedicated to this. Maybe 100.000 signs will do.

kevin11951
May 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
What might work is to create a website dedicated to this. Maybe 100.000 signs will do.

i think it would take one knowledgeable person about Linux, to go to their headquarters and talk about how linux is taking off between dell, asus, and the rest of us, linux is the future. perhaps some signatures would help too though.

Barrucadu
May 6th, 2008, 10:56 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. Rather than a series of emails, a proper petition.

kevin11951
May 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM
also: http://www.linux.com/feature/134125

id1337x
May 6th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I personally prefer inkscape and the GIMP image editor. Even if either of those programs worked on Linux they still would cost so much money.

Ub1476
May 6th, 2008, 11:40 PM
If someone is going to talk to Adobe, I suppose the guy has to be hired by some big Linux company (or has some kind of reputation). He would probably never get an appointment about this subject if he got no sort of "backup".

I could imagine Google helping Adobe porting it, maybe just to get it working with WINE in the beginning, the maybe a native version later. They did so with CS2 already (I've tested it and it works perfect).

Half-Left
May 6th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Google is already working with WINE devs to get CS3 working it's been said. CS3 does work but not proper so it's close and WINE 1.0 will be here soon.

Merk42
May 7th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Petitions don't work.

Other than that, yea it would be nice to have a major company like Adobe supporting Linux.

dmn_clown
May 7th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Adobe has already stated that they do not see the market available to port Photoshop to Linux. If the major special effects/digital studios (ILM, Pixar, etc.) that are already using Linux can't convince Adobe to port Photoshop, what makes you think a community driven effort will work?

phrostbyte
May 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Porting a software program as large as Adobe Photoshop to Linux would probably be a huge (multi-million dollar) undertaking. I don't think it'll happen until Linux has a massive marketshare.

Joeb454
May 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Photoshop CS2 (the version the OP wanted porting) Already runs under Wine, I think it's in there "Platinum" list.

I know wine isn't the best way to get it to run under Linux - but at least it does :)

TwistedLincoln
May 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
All of the current versions of Adobe's software use Product Activation, which is unacceptable on any platform. I enourage everyone to boycott all software that requires activation.

If, however, they were to release their applications for GNU/Linux without Product Activation (or other DRM implimentation), then I would certainly support that.

benfeldman
May 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM
It's probably important to point out that Adobe is currently porting their Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) to Linux.

Also, Adobe has stated that they will be moving their applications to web apps (on the open source Flex and the open-spec'd Flash, of course). With their Photoshop Express online version thing, they said they're working on an AIR version, and having played around with AIR development, it's very simple to take web apps and make them full-featured desktop applications.

So as Adobe moves things to the web...they'll bring them back to the desktop with AIR -- or so the hope is -- and AIR is proprietary, but available without charge for Linux.

I doubt they'll ever port the full version of Photoshop or Dreamweaver to Linux, but they're definitely interested in seeing AIR development on Linux take off (as someone mentioned earlier, they're in the process of porting Flex Builder 3 to Linux).

Of course, the more times we try, the more we grab they're attention, so naturally this has my full support.

Put my name down for Adobe CS-whichever for Linux.

fsando
May 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
If you think back to when Adobe finally ported photoshop to windows it took a long time before they saw that as viable. Only when Windows started to overtake mac in the graphics industry did it actually happen and then it took several iterations before it was on par with the mac versions. Some may even argue that that hasen't happened yet ;)

So the real road to photoshop on linux is to convince all the design and graphics shops and artichects etc. to use linux, then Adobe will follow.

Or in other words - it will not happen, end of story.

Twitch6000
May 7th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Ok I sometimes do not get why people love photoshop so much they do not even use gimp or try it.

I was reading a blog the other day that made two good points and I am going to point them out.
Most users of photoshop pirate it in the first place.Also they do not even use it to its full potential,unless they are people who make a living at things like art.

Now don't get me wrong gimp for the average user could be weird to use(even though for my first time it was fun and im not average).
There is only one or two things missing in gimp that you would need if you were a professional...Other then that hey use it its not that bad after the first try.

Here is where I got all this information.
http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/01/11/Gimp_vs_Photoshop/

Don't flame me please I am just proving some true points <.<.
Besides to me photoshop is the hard one to learn =[.

Half-Left
May 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Ok I sometimes do not get why people love photoshop so much they do not even use gimp or try it.

I was reading a blog the other day that made two good points and I am going to point them out.
Most users of photoshop pirate it in the first place.Also they do not even use it to its full potential,unless they are people who make a living at things like art.

Now don't get me wrong gimp for the average user could be weird to use(even though for my first time it was fun and im not average).
There is only one or two things missing in gimp that you would need if you were a professional...Other then that hey use it its not that bad after the first try.

Here is where I got all this information.
http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/01/11/Gimp_vs_Photoshop/

Don't flame me please I am just proving some true points <.<.
Besides to me photoshop is the hard one to learn =[.

Photoshop does have quiet a few feature which DO make the difference to professionals and amateurs, layer effects being extreemely useful for doign effects that take longer in GIMP.

You must remember, being able to change these effect in realtime at any point saves ALOT of time and CS3 having Live effects as well now.

tamoneya
May 8th, 2008, 01:21 AM
adobe just recently opened up the specifications for flash so soon we should be seeing some open source flash plugins as an alternative to the flashplugin-nonfree. While this isnt exactly adobe making a 64 bit linux plugin it is still a step in the right direction. Adobe does understand the idea of open source.

Merk42
May 8th, 2008, 02:06 AM
:evil: Adobe Does not care about Linux and is not interested in developing and supporting Linux/Unix Platforms.

They still have not even made a working Flash Plugin for 64 Bit Linux Browsers why would anyone think that they would want to port there software to Linux. They prefer stay in Microsoft world but there will be a day when Microsoft going to have to rewrite there OS to keep up with Linux because they have many problems using there very old base platform combined with NT that has never been changed or improved from day one with a horrible system registry tied to it. Apple/Linux/Systems are the computers of the future. (Why you think it took so long to make Vista/Longhorn but thats another funny MS story)

I can't wait to see Adobe scramble to redo all there software to compete when windows changes everything or dies out do to lack of performance compared to the competition.

Just wait and watch a new change is going to hit the computer world and microsoft I don't think going to be very big part of it.:lolflag:

So... all but the first two sentences of that post was just some unrelated OMG EVIL MIKKKRO$OFT rant?
I'm sure a lot of Adobe's sales are on the Mac platform and they had to do a major rewrite when it went from OS9 to OSX. They're even keeping up now because Leopard is so different from Tiger, Adobe had to make patches. I'm sure when Windows 7 comes out, even if it is a complete re-write, there won't be any manic scramble and you'll see CS6 (or whatever number) come out with no problem.

techrush
May 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM
not to derail this thread anymore than it already has been but adobe will also have to rewrite photoshop for OS X -AGAIN- once the carbon api becomes totally deprecated. As it stands tying photoshop to carbon on OS X has already prevented it from becoming a 64 bit application in the next version.

Cherry Cotton
May 8th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I think this petition is a great idea. Let's make it clear that Linux is a big untapped audience for Adobe. A lot of people don't switch to Linux because they need to use Adobe products, and couldn't care less about Microsoft. Macs are really appealing to graphic types, but they're expensive (especially considering you're _already_ buying pricey Adobe software). So, an Ubuntu version of CS3 would open the floodgates for people switching to Ubuntu. Also, porting to Linux would be very forward-thinking of Adobe, since the Linux kernel and GNU tools are now so widespread and a port to any Linux often means a port to Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Fedora, etc. as well, and also gives an early lead in future operating systems that will use open source (count on it).

It's true that there's a harsh catch in that lack of Adobe is holding back Linux adoption, and Adobe won't publish on Linux unless it becomes very popular. We must convince Adobe that there's money to be made in speeding up that adoption by publishing their software in a hot new market. The train wreck of Vista shows how unviable the monolithic Microsoft way of doing things is these days. Geeks like us may not be the majority, but in our tastes are always early signs of what's to come. If Adobe can get a foothold on open-source platforms now, they'll have an incumbent advantage over their competitors in the years ahead.

Obviously, though, I do think we should push GIMP and Inkscape, since they're good enough for most people and extremely polished products in themselves. I just don't think we should be arrogant when people say they want Photoshop or whatever. We should let them give GIMP a try because it's excellent and fits most everybody's needs, and I do think people too often jump to buy boxed products when they could get free software that's often better supported and less buggy. However, we should also welcome competition... Photoshop and GIMP competing in the same market would only serve to make each better.

n1kol@!
May 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Will CMYK support come with Gimp 2.6? And are there any plans of making something similar to Photoshop Layer Effects for Gimp? What other advantages do Photoshop and Illustrator have over Gimp and Inkscape? To me Inkscape seems like a toy compared to Illustrator. Can Inkscape do what Illustrator can?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Incense
May 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Will CMYK support come with Gimp 2.6? And are there any plans of making something similar to Photoshop Layer Effects for Gimp? What other advantages do Photoshop and Illustrator have over Gimp and Inkscape? To me Inkscape seems like a toy compared to Illustrator. Can Inkscape do what Illustrator can?

CMYK is already in Krita.

CS2 works very well under wine, and I'm sure CS3 is going to just as well. I think contributing to the wine project (funds, code, testing) is really going to be our best bet as far as getting CS to Linux. I think Adobe put up photoshop express is their way of going cross platform. So help out WINE, so they can help us out. Or even better, help bring GIMP or Krita up to speed with CS2. Just me .02.

Cherry Cotton
May 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM

CMYK doesn't look like it will be in GIMP 2.6, sadly (http://www.gimpusers.com/news/2007-12-20/gimp-2-6-aims.html). However, the developers are finally laying the groundwork for getting past that big hurdle of GIMP's by replacing its color system with something called GEGL. I don't know how it works, but it's in the unstable GIMP 2.5, and it means in good time we'll finally have support for different color profiles than the basic 8-bit.

Aaagh, I have to catch my bus, more later...

n1kol@!
May 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
/bump

coderduder
December 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM
any news on this? for me as designer, i would straight change to linux! please make this real (also tired about apple, the new MS)

Kernel Sanders
December 31st, 2008, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't bother if I was adobe. Most people pirate their creative suite, so why should they spend time and money on porting it so the majority of Linux users can pirate it too? It will cost them way more to port than the money they'll make from Linux users.

forcecore
December 31st, 2008, 09:17 PM
first Photoshop CS3 and Flash CS3 works in wine (ripped version) but main program is Premiere that should work on Ubuntu.

Someone should throw letters to Adobe's main headquarter door or roof.

Sublime Porte
April 27th, 2009, 03:08 AM
This is an excellent idea, and one I've been pondering for some time. One of the first questions I invariably get when telling someone about Linux is "It sounds great, but I need to run Photoshop".

However, I think the reasons mentioned so far are not going to be very convincing. You need to speak in the language these people understand. The language of competition and corporate hegemony. Perhaps the most obvious reason for why Adobe should port to Linux is because Microsoft is planning to shaft them with Silverlight, and unless they use Linux to counter that, Flash, Air etc is going to go the way of most other closed-source competitors to Microsoft. Porting to Linux will help them to stave off the MS threat, and at the same time open up a new market for themselves. There are people willing to pay for Adobe products on Linux, and if Adobe supports Linux, there'll be a helluva lot more.

gymophett
April 27th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Well, we're getting closer.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9874297-39.html

Mehall
April 27th, 2009, 03:57 AM
One of the first questions I invariably get when telling someone about Linux is "It sounds great, but I need to run Photoshop".

That's not a question ;)

Sublime Porte
April 27th, 2009, 04:59 AM
That's not a questionWell not a direct question, but it is an implied question. The need to run it, implies the question "can it run it".

Skripka
April 27th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Well, we're getting closer.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9874297-39.html

That article is over a year old ;)

koshatnik
April 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Corporations don't give a stuff about petitions. All they care about, quite rightly, is their bottom line. What compelling business reason can you give Adobe to bother to invest the time and expense of porting Photoshop to Linux?

Chances are, Adobe have already tested the platform's business viability and concluded that its not viable. Business are always looking to expand their market and profits. I'd say its not on Linux for a reason.

But go ahead, petition. It won't happen.

graabein
April 27th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I doubt Adobe will port it, but trying to persuade them and expressing your opinion beats doing nothing.

Doing a little > doing nothing. Simple as that.

k2t0f12d
April 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
First, Adobe needs to respond positively to a petition to relicense their program as free software and then rerelease it with an offer of source code. Then and only then would I bother pursuing a petition to port it to GNU+Linux (except someone would do that for them for free).

Vakman
July 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I doubt Adobe will port it, but trying to persuade them and expressing your opinion beats doing nothing.

Doing a little > doing nothing. Simple as that.
I agree. It would be great if they would port it to Linux. Maybe then people who want Linux but are stuck due to Adobe would try to switch. Just in general it would be great but unlikely still trying is good.

MasterNetra
July 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yes! I'm stuck with win mainly because of MagicJack and Adobe once both (or adobe CS3 at least) because available for Linux. This labtop will be windows free!

Dullstar
July 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Petition them to port another product to Linux?

Let's petition them to fix the issues in the products they have given us.

The only Adobe product that won't suck will be a vacuum cleaner! Saw something similar to that posted/in someone's sig, I forget which. It was with Microsoft instead, though!

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
If gimp would make a magnet lasso, it would have everything I need.

This thread seems to be a bit old... So...

REZZED

How did it survive this long, lol?

quimkaos
November 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
rez it again...

I've been having 2 hellish weeks because of this... Trying to move completely to linux but I receive work in adobe/macromedia formats. So I really need to use freehand (yes freehand), illustrator, flash and photoshop (photoshop is the least of my problems since gimp can do it's magic). The big problem is that Adobe doesn't care and will not care about linux and tho wine is doing an hell of a job, they move too slowly with all the bug fixes and rollbacks... and wine is not really a friendly aplication...

the only way I see Abode doing anything, is if a new Opensource project comes to light! something like Open Office is to microsoft office. An project that tries to compete with the giant adobe. I think this would be doable if some projects, like gimp, inkscape and synfig (and others obviously), came together, and try to found and exchange knowledge... they are already great projects that would benefit if they exchange more. One of the things that should change is the fact they only support open formats, unlike Open Office that has his native ODF open format but also supports others formats.

(...)

ade234uk
November 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Why don't you install Wine. Photoshop 7 and Dreamweaver 9 work brilliantly using Wine. In fact I don't even realise I am using Photoshop in Ubuntu these days. As for illustrator, flash and freehand I am not too sure about these. May be have a go at trying to install some of the older versions trial versions in Wine. Wine has changed so much that more and more software that did not work a couple of years back, works perfectly.

quimkaos
November 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
yes i'm trying to make wine run those... as for freehand i gived up... it installs but the app crashes with everything...
tho i would still love to see opensource projects biting the feet of adobe/macromedia apps

maflynn
November 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Ain't going to happen. Adobe would need to see the potential for $$ before they dedicate money to develop a Linux version. The desktop platform, specifically graphic designers running linux is soo small that it makes little business sense for them to go that route. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see PS and Lightroom ported over to Linux. LightRoom doesn't run in wine, so my only option is vmware.

ade234uk
November 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
That's the problem $$$$

Why cant adobe work with the Wine project instead, to try and get older versions of their products working with it.

maflynn
November 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
That's the problem $$$$

Why cant adobe work with the Wine project instead, to try and get older versions of their products working with it.

The same reason $$, working with the Wine project means dedicating someone even part time to a project that won't produce too much benefit to adobe's bottom line.

FiveSidedPoly
November 5th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I agree that Adobe won't start moving products over to Linux until they see a large amount of desktops running it, commercial and home use.

But at the same time, most large/hardcore graphics studios and companies that run both M$ products and Linux products together would be far happier leaving Windows completely if Adobe's products were on Linux as well. Autodesk isn't helping things because they now own Maya.

The only two programs that keep me from leaving Windows all together are 3ds Max/Maya and Photoshop.

Yes I know I can use Blender, but I know Max very well, and Photoshop too. So even if I can use Gimp to the same extent, I would rather boot a Windows machine to run the two main programs I need. Running Windows to use 3ds Max and Gimp seems pointless since I already paid way too much to for the CS3 Adobe Suite so I might as well get my money's worth. Using 3ds Max and Gimp under Windows is like being half free and half handicapped.

I don't have the time right now to step away from 3ds Max to learn Blender to the level I need. So my main workstation runs Windows mostly and will continue to do so until something happens to change that.

Time = Money = Time :frown:

jonian_g
November 5th, 2009, 02:38 AM
after this i can only think 2 things... you are realy stupid or you are making fun of me! maya??? maya is FULL SUPORTED UNDER LINUX! so FiveSidedPoly you are missing an 6th side... and again **** YOU AND GO BACK TO WINDOWS! (please pardon my french)... i'm sory but sometimes kids can get on my nervs... probably i nead some sleep time!

I have seen that "no maya for linux" comment before. I never bothered to reply. Nice you did though.

quimkaos
November 5th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I have seen that "no maya for linux" comment before. I never bothered to reply. Nice you did though.

love you quote because my reply got deleted... i went on a rant and discharged on the poor guy... gladly a forum master deleted my rant... sory for it again

tho i have an infraction for insulting other members... i question who insulted first

t0p
November 5th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Yes I know I can use Blender, but I know Max very well, and Photoshop too. So even if I can use Gimp to the same extent, I would rather boot a Windows machine to run the two main programs I need. Running Windows to use 3ds Max and Gimp seems pointless since I already paid way too much to for the CS3 Adobe Suite so I might as well get my money's worth. Using 3ds Max and Gimp under Windows is like being half free and half handicapped.

But couldn't you run a Linux workstation with Virtual Vista or something to run the Windows programs you think you can't do without?

Answer: yes of course you could. But you can't be bothered. It's no surprise Adobe can't be bothered to port their prestige stuff to Linux, when you continue to boot Windows even though you don't need to.

I know running a virtual Windows isn't an ideal solution. But it is a solution, at least in the short term, that would let you run Linux.

FiveSidedPoly
November 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
First off, quimkaos, I am not a child, nor am I ignorant. I am an IT professional, a Senior LAN Manager and Information Assurance Security Officer for the Army National Guard, I am DELL certified on everything they produce, and I work full time as a professional 3d artist. I have been a member of the International Game Developer's Association since 2003. My first Linux box ran RH5. I am far from an expert in everything computer related, but I feel that I am far from knowing nothing, or being treated as such.

There is no reason to every treat anyone that way, especially on a public forum such as this, it only hinders the cause. A bit of sarcasim is one thing, but overboard disrespect towards another human being is another.

I stand corrected that Maya 64bit is supported under Linux. I was given the 32bit version which is not, therefore I assumed that Autodesk stopped production of the Linux version when they aquired it. Either way, I mainly use 3ds Max, which was what my post says. So I would still have to brush up on Maya to take full advantage of it.

t0p, I do not think anywhere in my post that I was pushing Windows or portraying any anti-Linux feelings at all. But your's and the other two individuals seem to think I am some Penguin hater, so be it. I know that I can run Windows on Linux, but that sort of defeats the purpose, it is slower and hinders performance in so many ways.

I have many reasons for switching to Ubuntu, but the main one was I was told they have a wonderful community, the distro was top-notch and growing more and more rapidly. And I would like to do some game development specfic for it when I return from Iraq in a few months.

The amazingly warm welcome I have recieved makes me wonder if I decided on the wrong distro. None of your posts showed "humanity towards others". :confused: But since I never give up, I will just brush it off with a grain of salt, and move forward.

quimkaos
November 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM
has i said early, I'm sory for my rudeness and early anger explosion... i extend this apologies especially to FiveSidedPoly since i burst toward him with really no reason. I'm sory again.

i also stand corrected, since i thought that maya was first built in unix but seams it was written for IRIX and then ported to linux, windows and MacOs.

quimkaos
November 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Why don't you install Wine. Photoshop 7 and Dreamweaver 9 work brilliantly using Wine. In fact I don't even realise I am using Photoshop in Ubuntu these days. As for illustrator, flash and freehand I am not too sure about these. May be have a go at trying to install some of the older versions trial versions in Wine. Wine has changed so much that more and more software that did not work a couple of years back, works perfectly.

yep managed to run Dreamweaver and Flash MX 2004 in wine... don't really need Photoshop (tho it would be grate) since gimp can do almost of the job... illustrator will probably be a big problem... freehand is a no go... i just have to keep my windows instalation for now

cgroza
May 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Time to wakeup this thread from death....

Don't worry about Photoshop... Only when Linux reaches 5-10% market share Adobe will have the idea to port it to.

asddf
May 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
old topic.......

Adobe are stupid not to IMO