PDA

View Full Version : Planning Ubuntu powered Car PC

OneSeventeen
October 18th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I'm hoping to make a car PC for my mazda 6 that will do the following:

record GPS coordinates at regular intervals, and also when I hit a button
plays MP3s
plays recorded videos
synchronize with my home PC (mp3, videos, and recorded data)
connect to free wifi hotspots easily
record car data, such as speed, rpm, mileage, and fuel consumption (if possible)
play broacast TV without a visible antenna
use wireless keyboard and mouse
use touchscreen to controll basic system

I hope to use Gnome, as that's what I'm comfortable with, and I'll probably build the system using a socket 939 micro-atx case.

It will need to have Wireless G/B capabilities, Ethernet (the port will be somewhere fairly accessable to the outside), and I would love to find a way to pipe audio through the factory bose system, perhaps with an FM transmitter that goes straight into the back of the radio?

If you have any tips or suggestions, please post them here (more on the linux/hardware side of things, I'll post the electronics questions over at bit-tech (http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=36), and the talk of GPS related stuff is on these forums here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=78439)).

Greyfoxwolf
October 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
controlls???? touchscreeen or trackball+micro keyboard?

chimera
October 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I'd reccomend a tuochscreen+a keyboard- you can do most stuff by just tapping on your screen,no need for a mouse(meaning you can do it even while driving,which wouldn't be the case with a mouse,unless you want to crash)

OneSeventeen
October 31st, 2005, 11:22 PM
Yes, the goal would be to have a touch-screen if possible. (although those get much more expensive than a simple 800x600 LCD panel)

I would also have a keyboard and optional mouse for when I'm parked and wanted to do system maintenance. (preferrably wireless if I could find a small enough keyboard... companies love to make huge odd-shaped keyboards with far too many buttons nowadays)