PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question About 'Wild Dog' Machine

OrcaWave
May 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Dear Tom,

I know that I have asked questions unceasingly, but after figuring out that with all the best stuff put on a 'Ratel' box, that I could bump up to a 'Wild Dog' box for just a little more money.

I'd get a Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz FSB 1333 MHz L2 4 MB, processor on it, with 2 Gigs of RAM and a 250 GB hardrive.

Would this be a substantially better machine than your 'Ratel' box?

Would 2 Gigs of RAM be enough power, that's what comes with this box, I believe?

I take it that it might be a lot faster than a 'Ratel' machine?

Second question, can we buy extra warranty AFTER purchasing the 'Wild Dog'? Say, 3 or 4 months later?

Can you give me a ball park figure for shipping from you guys there in Colorado to Northern Iowa?

I don't mean to pester you with questions, and thank you so much for your time and energy!

Orca Wave

thomasaaron
May 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I know that I have asked questions unceasingly

That's what we're here for ;)

Would this be a substantially better machine than your 'Ratel' box?

Yes, the Ratel is a value machine. The Wild Dog is our higher-end workstation. It is made to take anything you can throw at it.

Would 2 Gigs of RAM be enough power, that's what comes with this box, I believe?

From what you've previously discussed with me concerning your usage of the machine, that would be plenty -- and then some.

I take it that it might be a lot faster than a 'Ratel' machine?

Indeed.

Second question, can we buy extra warranty AFTER purchasing the 'Wild Dog'? Say, 3 or 4 months later?

As it stands right now, you cannot extend your warranty after 30 days. That may be changing for the better in the near future, but there's no guarantee.

Can you give me a ball park figure for shipping from you guys there in Colorado to Northern Iowa?

You can compare prices for different shipping options here:
http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=14

I don't mean to pester you with questions, and thank you so much for your time and energy!

There's plenty more where that came from. :lolflag:

riseringseeker
May 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
By sheer coincidence, I too am looking to replace an aging desktop and am also considering the Wild Dog. I thought about calling, but since I already bugged you yesterday figured this would be as good a way as any. BTW, thanks again for your help, and if you see any way to determine the subnet mask thing in advance of running into the same problem, I'd like to hear.

Anyway, the questions I have are a little different. I don't really keep up with the latest hardware and that's what my questions center on.

I seem to remember from a previous conversation that none of your desktops have a video capture - I could do without that, but would prefer having it.

I was thinking of going with the 8600 GTS for a video card with or without capture. Would that be an adequate card for photo and video editing, watching on-line TV, and some linux games? (Granddaughter loves tux racer) Also, would I later be able to install a second video card that does allow video capture?

Would it be possible to have 2 500GB drives installed as opposed to 1 1TB drive, or would I have to add that later?

Keyboard/mouse. I don't really want to have to change batteries, so was thinking of going with the Logitech 350. I assume you have all the fancy keys already mapped. Could you recommend a keyboard I could get with a USB hub on it though that I could map? (In looking it does not look like any offered do) My wife and I plug various devices into the USB from time to time, cameras, MP3 players, etc., and having a port really really handy would be nice.

Lastly, the 5.1 speaker system, can you give me dimensions of the speakers? Wife might not want monsters "cluttering up" her living room.

That's what we're here for ;)

Yes, the Ratel is a value machine. The Wild Dog is our higher-end workstation. It is made to take anything you can throw at it.

From what you've previously discussed with me concerning your usage of the machine, that would be plenty -- and then some.

Indeed.

As it stands right now, you cannot extend your warranty after 30 days. That may be changing for the better in the near future, but there's no guarantee.

You can compare prices for different shipping options here:
http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=14

There's plenty more where that came from. :lolflag:

TheBuzzSaw
May 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I just ordered the Wild Dog about a week ago. I'm excited for it to come! I'd say the most painful part is the wait during the "manufacturing" phase. Fortunately, I have my Daru2 to keep me company.

I saw that the system comes with Ubuntu 64-bit by default; that can be accompanied/replaced by 32-bit, right?

thomasaaron
May 7th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Yes. But there aren't many reasons to do so.

TheBuzzSaw
May 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yes. But there aren't many reasons to do so.
Really? I heard the 64-bit system had sketchy 32-bit support. If the 64-bit system runs everything I want it to, I'll just leave it. :P

thomasaaron
May 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
It's not sketchy at all. With the exceptions of the fact that IcedTea does not provide PERFECT java applet support, I see nothing at all wrong with it.

Applets are on their way out anyway, thanks to Flash (which works great in 64-bit).

And most applets work OK in 64-bit too. Some of the more complicated ones are iffy.

TheBuzzSaw
May 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
It's not sketchy at all. With the exceptions of the fact that IcedTea does not provide PERFECT java applet support, I see nothing at all wrong with it.

Applets are on their way out anyway, thanks to Flash (which works great in 64-bit).

And most applets work OK in 64-bit too. Some of the more complicated ones are iffy.
This is good to know. I was just mentally preparing to jump ship if I ran into problems. I just heard many rumors that 64-bit caused problems with 32-bit software.

friendofpugs
May 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Wow, this is great! I am a fledgling web designer who almost bought a Mac Pro and Adobe's CS3 tool set before stumbling onto Ubuntu and open source alternatives. I'm looking to get a fairly robust PC for the home office that is dedicated to web work and I was intrigued by the "Wild Dog" setup. However, I'm learning the ropes as I go so please be nice to this noob.
Do the video cards you offer support dual monitors? How could I get that capability?
What amount of RAM would you recommend? I mostly with text editors with (though I plan to use some IDE's down the road) and of course I'd use the Gimp. I'd be switching between browsers, etc. during testing and deployment. I realize I don't need anything approaching a Mac Pro's performance, but I'd like something that can hold its own for awhile and is upgradeable if need be. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

thomasaaron
May 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Do the video cards you offer support dual monitors? How could I get that capability?

I believe so, but there would probably be some customer xorg.conf configuration involved. We've not really done any testing on that, but the question seems to be coming up a lot lately. So I guess it's time to get on it. I'll try to do some testing next week and report back.

What amount of RAM would you recommend?

Minimum of 2GB. For heavy graphics work, I would want 4GB. But general web design stuff isn't that memory intensive.

I realize I don't need anything approaching a Mac Pro's performance, but I'd like something that can hold its own for awhile and is upgradeable if need be.

I don't know much about Mac Pro, but the Wild Dog (lovingly called "the dawg" at System76) is a high performance workstation and has plenty of room for upgrades. It'll tear through whatever you throw at it.

friendofpugs
May 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
This sounds great! I eagerly await your dual monitor testing, as I've heard it's a must have for freelance set-ups. I use a 24 inch monitor designing at my day job, but I'd like the flexibility of coding in one monitor and keeping the browser open in the other. If I have to, I'll just get a large monitor for home. Thanks for your quick reply!

TheBuzzSaw
June 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
This sounds great! I eagerly await your dual monitor testing, as I've heard it's a must have for freelance set-ups. I use a 24 inch monitor designing at my day job, but I'd like the flexibility of coding in one monitor and keeping the browser open in the other. If I have to, I'll just get a large monitor for home. Thanks for your quick reply!
Complete success! I am running dual monitors right now! A friend informed me on what I was doing wrong. It turns out Nvidia has proprietary driver software for controlling monitor output. Be sure to install nvidia-settings in the synaptic package manager. If you need help on getting the settings right, let me know. It takes a few steps, but it works like a dream! =D

And no, you don't need to mess with your xorg.conf files. Nvidia does that for you. ;)

jeamer
June 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for this! Got it working with my Pangolin.... really fun to play with the two monitors at home. Once you've got nvidia-settings, there really isn't much to it!

TheBuzzSaw
June 11th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I've said it before; I'll say it again. I will never go back to Windows.

watchpocket
December 23rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
... Be sure to install nvidia-settings in the synaptic package manager. If you need help on getting the settings right, let me know. It takes a few steps, but it works like a dream! ...

I have 8 of the nvidia packages in the synaptic package manager pre-installed on a new Wild Dog from System76.

Got 2nd Hanns-G 28-inch widescreen in the mail today & hooked it up via the DVI-HDMI ports, and dual-monitors worked immediately, except that one is blank after re-boots, and I have to go back into the nvidia settings every time and set it up again.

And for some reason now when I click on System --> Admin --> NVIDIA X Server Settings, it takes about a minute for the nvidia box to appear. I can for the most part set things up (TwinView, etc) so my 2 monitors do what I want, but I still have those 2 problems: (a) gotta re-set after every reboot & (b) the nvidia settings box has a long delay before it appears. Thanks for any suggestions.

TheBuzzSaw
December 24th, 2009, 07:45 AM
You gotta save you xorg.conf file. In order to push that button, you have to be running as root.

gksudo nvidia-settings

That should make your settings permanent.