PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to Hardy, everything went well but...

stchman
May 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hello all, I just reformatted and installed Hardy. I must say I am fairly impressed. Compiz works OOB and the restricted driver manager installed the 169.12 for my 8800GT.

I have a few issues.

1. I have an Audigy 2 and the rear speakers will not work. They worked in Feisty.

2. How do you get VLC to start playing DVDs when inserted into the drive. I see that you can select something in Nautilus, but I cannot enter the vlc %m like I could in Feisty.

3. The foo2zjs driver does not work with my Laserjet 1000 printer. I went to http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ and no dice still. Anyone have any luck?

4. I installed the Java 1.6 JRE via Synaptic and Openoffice 2.4 cannot find it.

Everything else runs just fine. I did notice that when I installed a different GDM login theme the login window took forever to appear.

stchman
May 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I figured most of them out.

1. System--->Preferences--->Sound, select Devices tab and select ALSA for all options.

2. I edited the VLC menu to have vlc %m

3. Laserjet 1000 still not working.

4. I installed the openoffice.org-java-common package and now OO can use the 1.6 JRE.

I would still like some input on the Laserjet 1000 foo2zjs stuff. Does anyone else have any idea on how to get VLC to use the 4 speaker stuff?

Thanks.

stchman
May 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I figured out the Laserjet 1000 stuff.

If you install the HPLIP GUI and then have it install the Laserjet 1000 it downloads the firmware and installs the driver.