PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot (vista and ubuntu) with fat32 shared partition on separate drive

JustAnotherVagueAnon
May 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Hello, I currently have Vista and Hardy set up on separate partitions on the same drive. I am looking to install a separate HDD, format it in fat32, and use this as a shared partition. Is there anything special I need to do to make this work without having to reinstall the OSs?

Absolute beginner... Thanks.

Pumalite
May 6th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Better leave it as it is and use the other drive for storage or a separate /home for Ubuntu or both.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

JustAnotherVagueAnon
May 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
And doing this won't harm anything I currently installed? I finally got around to reformatting vista after an annoying error and decided to install ubuntu as well and i'm really not in the mood to reformat again...

Pumalite
May 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Backup everything anyway, but is what I'd do.

JustAnotherVagueAnon
May 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll try that using the guide

FastZ
May 6th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Installing a second hard drive isn't going to affect the data on the first hard drive. It 'shouldn't' anyway. I'd make a back up of all your important information anyway, because that's just a good habit to get into.

JustAnotherVagueAnon
May 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I was just worried about using the installation disk to set up the new partition. I was (and still am, a little) afraid that it would restore the system. But this is the way to do it?

Pumalite
May 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Check sychocats in Google. That link works fine.