PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seen Iron Man and the cool linux interface?

PoopyTheJ
May 6th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Has anyone seen Iron Man? In the movie Tony sends Pepper to Stark Industries to steal some information from the computer systems there. When she is accessing the files and whatnot did anyone else see a distinct resemblence to a Linux GUI? I coulda swore I was looking at a Modified KDE or Enlightenment interface. Even the files seemed to have linux mount points assigned to them. Anyways even aside from using linux, the movie was sweet.

SomeGuyDude
May 6th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I thought it was OSX myself, which was funny because every computer was clearly Dell.

PoopyTheJ
May 6th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I thought OSX too for a second but my usage of OSX, though limited seemed less like the user interface than my usage of *nix. Especially the directory and drives listing I coulda swore they were listed as hda1, hda2, hda0 etc. I'll have to wait till I can get the DVD to be sure, but I really thought it was linux. Which is a cool topic in and of itself, what movies has anyone seen where the interface shown is linux or unix, gnome, kde or otherwise?

martin saint martin
May 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
i've seen gnome in "HEROES". linux just be making its way into pop culture.

jw5801
May 6th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I did like the massive Dell product placement :p

Also: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=782233 :D

PoopyTheJ
May 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Dang came late to the party I guess, sigh :)

madjr
May 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I thought it was OSX myself, which was funny because every computer was clearly Dell.

clearly a bunch of Dells with Ubuntu and a rad theme :D

Kingsley
May 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
i've seen gnome in "HEROES". linux just be making its way into pop culture.
Nice. I remember seeing KDE in Heroes.

geoken
May 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM
KDE was also in 24. A lot of the CTU hackers were running KDE.

http://jriddell.org/24-kde.html

50words
May 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM
While I agree that the OS looked like a cool Linux theme, isn't it more likely that the computers were just running a video? I doubt the effects people went to the trouble of creating a working theme when they could more easily do a quick video.

Regardless, whoever did the video was taking styling cues from Linux, and I hope they did (or will) work it up into a Gnome theme.