PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update manager locks up

tundra2006
May 6th, 2008, 05:38 AM
i just got the hardy heron and my update manager locks up after u hit install updates and after that starting administrative window pops up; same goes for my package manager ; can anyone help; on the road so i'll post my email tundra06@ zoominternet.net help please ; cause i need these things to fix a couple other problems i'm having

amohanty
May 6th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Just to be sure I understand what is happening:

1. You click on the update icon in the notification area.
2. You click on 'Install Updates'
3. The password entry window pops up.
4. You enter the password (???)
then what?

AM

alffis
May 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think Tundra has the same problem I'm having, the packet manager never reaches the phase where password is asked.

The system informs me that there are new updates to install and when I click "install selected updates" the system fails to ask the password and Update Manager locks up.

Now I can't change any setting in my system, where administrative password is needed. Although I could install updates by typing "sudo synaptic", then the Packet Manager started.

amohanty
May 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM
To see what might be going in try:

sudo update-manager

Also see if reinstalling gksu helps:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install gksu

hth
AM

selberherr
May 9th, 2008, 02:45 PM
To see what might be going in try:

sudo update-manager

Also see if reinstalling gksu helps:

sudo apt-get -reinstall install gksu

hth
AM

The direct way of access via "sudo update-manager" worked for me.

The option -reinstall does not exist under my 8.04 installation?

The problem appears to have something to do with the proper
configuration of the /etc/hosts file, in particular with the localhost entry 127.0.0.1 localhost mymachine.mydomain

Remarks and solutions are welcome

GrumpyOldMan
May 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I too have a problem with the update manager locking up. Also whenever I try to execute any sudo command, after a short pause I get the response

sudo: unable to resolve host <hostname>

This seems to be source of the update-manager locking up problem but I don't know what the solution is (yet).

p_quarles
May 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I too have a problem with the update manager locking up. Also whenever I try to execute any sudo command, after a short pause I get the response

sudo: unable to resolve host <hostname>

This seems to be source of the update-manager locking up problem but I don't know what the solution is (yet).
This problem (and most likely the same is true for the other posters in this thread) is a known bug in Hardy. To fix, you'll need to boot into recovery mode and do a couple things. First, run:

hostname
and make a note of the output. That's the correct name of your computer.

Now, edit /etc/hosts to correct it:

nano /etc/hosts
The second line should read:

127.0.1.1 hostname
Replace the word "hostname" with the actual hostname from the earlier command.

Now, reboot, and you should be all set:

reboot

alffis
May 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
when I start update manager from the command line, the following occurs:
-----
[sudo] password for 'user':
current dist not found in meta-release file
----------

Then the update manager starts and installs some of the updates, but cannot install all packages - I get this error:

----------
W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/transmission/transmission-common_1.06-0ubuntu5_all.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
---------------

Apparently there is some kind of error in my packet manager settings but I don't have a clue where to start, where are those configuration files?
If I once change the "sources" file manually, is there a chance that Ubuntu has further problems with my manually set sources?

So, is there some kind of easy solution, or do I have to change some sources-file manually?

8)

amohanty
May 10th, 2008, 05:17 AM
The direct way of access via "sudo update-manager" worked for me.

The option -reinstall does not exist under my 8.04 installation?

The problem appears to have something to do with the proper
configuration of the /etc/hosts file, in particular with the localhost entry 127.0.0.1 localhost mymachine.mydomain

Remarks and solutions are welcome

I think it is --reinstall not -reinstall :)

amohanty
May 10th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Take a look at this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Also in there you can replace us.archive.ubuntu.com with any of the mirrors from here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

HTH
AM

alffis
May 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Thank you p_quarles,
I changed the "hosts" file and now update manager seems to be working.

GrumpyOldMan
May 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your response, P_quarles. I actually solved the problem before I managed to read your post by going into System>Administration>Network and adding my hostname as an alias to the 127.0.0.1 IP address (under the hosts tab). Everything seems OK now.

Thanks.

tundra2006
May 15th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Sorry I didn't get back right away on the road without internet. HAHA
I did the hostname change and it fixed the problem with not getting to password screen.

der Konner
July 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks! Very helpful info. Solved my problems immediately.

nikhilxi
August 3rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
hi i am new to ubuntu
i also have the update manager.
i tried what p_quariles told but after typing hostname there is no otput. i again get the rompt.
the file /etc/hosts only contains "# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts "
plz help me with this

nikhilxi
August 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
there s another problem i can't open my web brouser or terminal and many such applications after connecting to net
i can't onen applications from system->administration