PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Has Ubuntu become too heavy for my system?

Indy452
May 6th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I think that the newest version of Ubuntu 8.04 has become more than my old beater can handle. I'm using a gateway 800Mhz P3 processor with 384MB ram. After the 27 new updates today it seems to kind of tinker along at times and I'm thinking of downsizing because I don't do much of anything but internet and e-mail.

I am wondering what the people thought of fluxbuntu? would this be O.K for this system? I have used xubuntu but I'm looking for a change. Any suggestions? And how could I transfer my settings and documents, pictures etc to another OS?

Thank you, Neal

starcannon
May 6th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I run Hardy on an Asus Eee 4g
Runs fine on that machine, I did upgrade it to 1gb of ram how ever.
But if your not running compiz you should be fine with 384mb of ram.

Lite equals snappier, but you should have a very responsive look and feel if you don't turn on the effects. I'm not sure how it will feel about FF3 though... very nice browser, but I feel its a bit thick.

Oh sorry just realized your asking about fluxbuntu, I did load that onto an old Celeron 333mhz was it? cpu with 128mb of ram, runs very clean and fast on that. I chose fluxbuntu for that build because it has a very small footprint, and low system requirements. However, it is also a very basic OS, I think its current out of the box feel is for something along the lines of a net appliance/word processor (using Abby Word). That said, if you want something to geek out on, I'm sure you could load it up with goodies and extras and still have a very snappy system.

Indy452
May 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM
If I do choose to try a different Ubuntu variant even on a different machine, how can I save my current configuration? I'm not too skilled when it comes to backing up data and etc.

I have a 1300 mhz celeron machine that I don't use and maybe I should use it? The problem with it is it only has 256 MB ram. I need to upgrade that to at least 512.

Would Ubuntu be effective on that machine?

Thanks for your time, Neal

SlappyPappy
May 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Dude, the system you're describing is mine! CPU is 1.3GHz and my RAM is 512K.

I have the exact same setup and I'm running Gutsy. I've turned off the desktop effects because A) they slow it down considerably and B) I don't really care for them to be honest.

I'm super happy with how well it works and I use and do just about everything on this machine from ripping DVDs, running VirtualBox with Windows 2000, listen to music. Plenty fast for me.

I'm a little nervous to move up to Hardy but I'll test it out on a spare hard drive one of these days. Right now though, I'm super happy with Gutsy.

Good luck friend!

shifty_powers
May 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I think that the newest version of Ubuntu 8.04 has become more than my old beater can handle. I'm using a gateway 800Mhz P3 processor with 384MB ram. After the 27 new updates today it seems to kind of tinker along at times and I'm thinking of downsizing because I don't do much of anything but internet and e-mail.

I am wondering what the people thought of fluxbuntu? would this be O.K for this system? I have used xubuntu but I'm looking for a change. Any suggestions? And how could I transfer my settings and documents, pictures etc to another OS?

Thank you, Neal

have you ever considered something such as xubuntu? it is the same but uses xfce, iirc, rather than gnome. It's designed to be a fast, lightweight desktop. You can still use all the same programs etc...

something to think about...

marine63
May 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
http://ubuntulite.tuxfamily.org/
ubuntulite looks good
old, low-specification PCs. Its slogan is Ubuntu Power for Slow Machines and it will run on a 75 MHz Pentium, or equivalent, with 32 MB or more RAM.

c4v3m4n
May 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I like xubuntu a lot, you could try that. It's pretty lightweight.

Paqman
May 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
If I do choose to try a different Ubuntu variant even on a different machine, how can I save my current configuration? I'm not too skilled when it comes to backing up data and etc.

Your /home folder contains all your config files and settings. You can also create a list of installed packages (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366) that can be reinstalled automatically. between those two you'll get all your applications, your desktop settings etc all restored. Just set you user accounts up exactly the same as you have now and you'd never know the difference.

In future, you might want to look at putting /home onto a separate partition to save hassle.

tonyr1988
May 6th, 2008, 05:44 PM

I have a 1300 mhz celeron machine that I don't use and maybe I should use it? The problem with it is it only has 256 MB ram. I need to upgrade that to at least 512.

Would Ubuntu be effective on that machine?

Thanks for your time, Neal

If you just want to see if it will work for you, just install Fluxbox (from Synaptic, apt-get, etc.), log out, change your session to "Fluxbox", and log back in.

You can do the same for others as well.

bodhi.zazen
May 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
See this thread for options :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

Indy452
May 6th, 2008, 07:41 PM
WOW!! See thats why I like Ubuntu!! The support is great. Its hard to consider moving down.

I still haven't heard any comments on fluxbuntu. Anyone like it?

Thanks everyone!!

Neal

RedSquirrel
May 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Thank you, Neal

As suggested by Tonyr1988 above, you could try some light window managers with your existing installation. fluxbox, openbox, and icewm are some that come to mind. After you install them, you simply select the one you want from the Sessions list at the login screen and login.

If you want a real change, I suggest a minimal installation. It would absolutely fly on your P3. :)

For example:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones