PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Triple Boot Raid-0 & Need Suggestions

thecaptainjs
May 6th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Here is what I want to do.

I want to triple boot. XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

I have 4* 250GB Hard Drives. I am willing to purchase a 5th drive.

My Mobo has raid 5 support now and i have 3 in raid 5 with my XP install on it and Vista on the 4th drive (never installed ubuntu)
Raid 5 SUCKS (either that or its that its XP 64).

I want the best performance, but I do want some type of comfort that my data wont be lost. I need some suggestions.

I am not as concerned about my OS HD's dying. I can deal with most of that. Should a HD Die I would hate to lose my data, I can live with losing saved games and stuff like that.

I am almost thinking that maybe I should just have 2 Raid 0 arrays and worry about backing everything up to another HD.

How can I setup all 3 on a Raid 0?
What Order?

I have raid 5 now and it sucks so i am going to back everything up and start over.

AceMilo
May 6th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I'm not super experienced with linux in general, but I am with computers so I should be able to help. If you want the best performance possible, you should have 3 raid 0's, one for each os, but that's not really ideal to have 6 drives in your computer. My suggestion would be to create one big raid 0 with your drives and then partition it 3 ways (or more), and put each os on a seperate one. You should still get the benefits of raid while being able to run all 3 os'.

Do you really need vista? What exactly are you doing with the computer? You may be able to run some of what you wanna do in virtualization and not need more partitions.

thecaptainjs
May 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Truth be told, I highly dislike vista. However I do play games and some of them kinda need vista.
Being in IT I also figure i need at least some exposure to it. (And I also may need it for testing an application i work on.

After using XP 64, i decided to go back to XP 32 bit. I've had a few issues i never had a problem with before.

thecaptainjs
May 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Xxx