PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install and run programs?

theben18
May 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I recently downloaded ubuntu 8.4 after only using windows. WOW! I dont know which way is up. I cant for the life of me figure out how to install or run programs.Can anyone help? Im specifically wanting to install COD4 and Steam.

mmb1
May 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure how to install those specific games, but software in general can be found in these two places:

Applications - Add/Remove

System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager

Welcome and good luck with Ubuntu!

tamoneya
programs like that (windows program) have to be installed through wine.
www.winehq.com

mmb1
I forgot to add that software that's already installed can be found under the Applications menu, sorry.

oldos2er
May 6th, 2008, 12:18 AM
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

If you're trying to install Windows games, I don't know if you'll have much luck.

AceMilo
May 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Steam does run just fine in ubuntu with wine. First install wine, then you're going to need to find an old steam installer, maybe oldversion.com has it, just google around you should find one quickly. It doesn't matter how old it is, just make sure its an .exe not a .msi file. After that just update steam from itself and login and install your cod data. You should be good to go after that.

Ameneon
May 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
You can install Steam using the msi installer as well, the instructions are given at the wine appdb entry for Steam, and they work quite flawlessly. Installing HL2 works fine also, however the performance isn't anything to brag about, or at least it wasn't when I tried it a few weeks ago. Quite impressive that it works at all, but you have to play at pretty much lowest settings to get anything that approaches acceptable performance and even then there are small glitches. But it does give hope for the future :)

sstusick
May 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
WINE for Windows applications can be installed via add/remove under the Applications menu.