PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] THIS is impossible to fix! I am scr*wed!

JoeSixpack
May 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Well I've been tempted to install some Linux distro for many years. Ubuntu 8.04 pushed me over the edge and now I'm totally shafted. My MB is an ASUS K8V-X SE w/ on-board SATA Raid and a 64-bit AMD CPU.
Of course, Ubuntu can't recognize my "C-drive", the Raid with two 300gig drives. So when I idiotically installed Ubuntu, all went well until the reboot, at which time GRUB vomited the dreaded Error 21, of course. Drive can't be recognized.... Ubuntu can Never recognize C, as it is my raid!
If I could only back up to the time before I tried to install Ubuntu, instead of just running it off my CD. I have done the FIXBOOT/FIXMBR/BOOTCFG shuffle many times to no avail. I have cleared the MB's CMOS twice. I have removed the partitions into which I'd installed ubuntu, etc, etc.
I DO NOT KNOW where the stupid "run Ubuntu" gremlin is so I can terminate it with extreme prejudice. ...oh yeah, I tried "repair" in XP-disk's recovery console several times. I'm left with few options: 1. Completely reinstall windows, which I sincerely doubt will change things, 2. Wipe the drives and reinstall everything and call this an idiot's experiment. 3. Throw the stupid machine away!
I doubt anything can be done. Only After I got into this hopeless mess did I read about (much milder) multi-boot install problems. Anyway, I'll just sit here with a pistol in my mouth and see if an answer pops up. Thanks!

ericartman
May 6th, 2008, 12:05 AM
http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

deep breath and read the whole page. I've had "dreaded" error 21 and 17 and so forth, super grub helped me fix if everytime. good day and goodluck.

Cart

JoeSixpack
May 6th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks Cartman! I had gotten to the point I was thinking there were millions of things I could try and nothing would work. I still have 6-10 hrs of mopping up - cleaning up all the results of my wrong efforts and jiggling things into a better state than before, but you ROCK!

sideburns
May 6th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Your link is out of date. The page suggests that you use http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ instead.