PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen resolution problems

ihatejoefitz
May 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM
The best resolution I can get is 1280x800. I'd like it to go a little higher. TIA.

x.org configuration,

"Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection
"

monkeyslap
May 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Type the following at the command line:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You can hit enter for most of the default settings (when in doubt, do that). Toward the end it will ask you for your screen's resolution. For LCDs it's recommended to use the screen's native resolution.

macaholic
May 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
What kind of graphics card do you have?

Girya
May 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I too have screen resolution problems when I run dpkg-... I get to the part about 3 button mouse emulation I get kicked out of the dpkg app and get this complaint from the term.:

xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080505160251

any ideas on how to get around this?

thanks Kevin

ihatejoefitz
May 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
What kind of graphics card do you have?

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

ihatejoefitz
May 5th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Type the following at the command line:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You can hit enter for most of the default settings (when in doubt, do that). Toward the end it will ask you for your screen's resolution. For LCDs it's recommended to use the screen's native resolution.

This only asked me about the keyboard.

ihatejoefitz
May 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I found and am reading this... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/i810

This allowed me to select higher resolutions, but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

avtolle
May 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
The old ways don't work with Hardy, as you have learned. sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't do anything for display issues. If you have a copy of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from 7.10 (or earlier), there is some information you may insert into the current one by manually editing it. At a minimum, the Horzsync and VertRefresh information needs to be added under "Configured Monitor" under Section "Monitor" which, in my case are:
HorizSync 28-51 (your monitor's specs here)
VertRefresh 43-60 (your monitor's specs here)
; the Section "Screen" needs to be edited to reflect the Modes available, by adding a SubSection "Display" following Section "Device". For me, the following worked (acknowledging my information will be different than yours):
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection

Then, after the end of Section "ServerLayout" , I needed to add the following new section:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

The information necessary came from my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from 7.10. I did this from the terminal, first did sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup #made a backup copy of the existing file
then sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and manually edited the file as set out above.

Again, you will need to use YOUR information; there are other things which may need to be added, which I didn't need to do.

HTH.