PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] h.264 cinelerra Imports only audio no video

ppeetteerr
May 5th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm having some trouble with importing a h.264 file into cinelerra. When I open the file all I get is the audio and no video. I know that cinelerra is capable of importing it as I had it going under gentoo. Has anyone else had this problem?

eagle416
December 13th, 2008, 01:54 AM
It happened to me as well. WMV's won't open, and sometimes it will compress the AVI sound into 3 seconds or garble it up.

eagle416
December 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I hadn't the patience, so I just used ffmpeg to convert it into an mpg.
Use the -sameq tag (keeps video quality good), and keep ahold of that audio only version as well, as the sound is disgusting in the mpg version.

That's just a jury rig I use until I eventually find a solution.

kayosiii
December 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
cinelerra is designed really to work with uncompressed video
- In fact it is easier to list the formats that it does work well with rather than the ones it doesn't. I know uncompressed files chew a lot of disk space but the results are far superior. Transcoding to mpeg before using in cinelerra is just throwing away quality. If you are going to use a lossy format try a mjpeg compressed avi or quicktime file on low compression settings... Damage is minimal and Cinelerra works well with this format. Other than that try an uncompressed YUV format if possible. I usually use mplayer to transcode stuff to yuv4mpeg format (think DVD stream without any compression) I am not sure that sound gets saved with this format.

Hope that helps