PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 Installer hangs - Please Help

djohnston
May 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
This weekend decided to take an old box I had ClarkConnect on and convert it to an Ubuntu 8.04 install after I upgraded my laptop. When I first ran the installer from cd it instantly hung. I modified the execution string to remove quiet and splash. After doing this, I was able to see that when the installer reached the point it was loading squashfs it was breaking.

I then tried to load the live cd. When doing this, the cd hung in the same spot. I verified the cd and then I verified the md5 hash. I found an article online to try the alternate cd. I then downloaded and verified the alternate cd. When I started this installer everything starts fine. This installer goes all the way past creating your initial user account. It gets through installing the base packages and then it hangs immediately after the base install is complete.

I have also tried the 7.10 desktop and alternate cd. Both of those cds verified but the desktop cd hung and the alternate cd worked until the base install and then it said it couldn't download certain packages. Every time I restarted it it gave me different packages it couldn't download but there were always some.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the 7.10 or 8.04 install done? Also, if you have any other ideas I'm open to them as well.

Thanks,
David