PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Compose key refuses to make å

FM1
May 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'm using a US keyboard layout, but often need to type words in Swedish. Right Alt is set as Compose, and it Just Worked™ in Gutsy with the same hardware, but after a new install of Hardy, Compose won't give me å. I can do ä and ö, but not å; it appears to ignore Compose and gives me "oa" or nothing at all, depending whether I'm using US or US International/International with dead keys. I can paste å from the character palette, and it's right where it belongs if I switch to a Swedish layout, but I touch type, so I'd love to have good old familiar Alt+o+a as it was in Gutsy. I've tried changing which key is Compose, but no joy.

akudewan
May 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Just a suggestion, since no one has replied to you yet. I've found that renaming the hidden directories seems to get rid of a number of problems that come with a distro upgrade.

In your case, maybe you can try renaming ~/.scim . You'll lose your settings though. But you can rename it back if it doesn't work..

FM1
May 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks. I did a fresh install, not an upgrade, but renaming the directory didn't make any difference. Most of the characters seem to work--if you need þ, ø, ß, ŋ or almost anything else, I've got you covered--but no ring, caret or breve. Å is the only one I really use of those that don't work, so I guess I'll just have to get it from the character palette.

unutbu
May 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I probably don't know enough to help you, but just in case, please post the output of

xprop -root | grep XKB

FM1
May 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'll take anything...assistance, a push in the right direction, sympathy... :)

lisa@Geek-Girl:~$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc104", "us,se,us,us", ",,alt-intl,intl", "grp:alts_toggle,compose:ralt"

I switched from Generic 105 to Generic 104 because of something I read somewhere (read so much that I forget what), but it's still not working.

helicase
May 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Try compose+a+a and compose+A+A for å and Å.

FM1
May 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Yes! Thank you so much! ååå ÅÅÅ That's even faster--great! :D

If the combination for that changed, perhaps that's where my caret and breve have gone as well; not that I use either often. Am I looking in the wrong place for a list? According to /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose, å is still Compose+o+a, but obviously, it's not.

helicase
May 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Am I looking in the wrong place for a list?
I wouldn't know. I usually just twiddle with a few keys until I find what I want. Just try combinations that you think would make sense. For instance:
â: compose+^+a or compose+>+a
ă: compose+(+a

FM1
May 6th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I got them. Most are the same as they were before, and I found the only others I'm likely to use. Compose+(+a for ă and Compose+<+s/c/z/n for š/č/ž/ň. I'm all set--thanks again! :)

fballem
May 18th, 2008, 04:21 PM
So if I'm using the US International with dead keys, how do I get a c-cedille (looks like a c with a comma underneath). I can manage ñ, à, é, ê - which is what I need for French and Portuguese, but haven't found the magic to make a c-cedille. I am coming from a Windows world, and am used to a US International keyboard (which is close to the linux US International with dead keys).

Many thanks,

fballem
May 19th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I asked a question on Launchpad and one of the other users was kind enough to raise it as a feature request. The information can be found here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/231785

Hope this helps - and if it's important to you, please feel free to add your voice.

Thanks

fballem
May 19th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Apparently we needed to go somewhere else, so here we are:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/us-international-keyboard-microsoft