View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resolution changes after login

May 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with an Nvidia 8800 GTS 512MB graphics card, and am using the Nvidia 169.12 drivers that I loaded with EnvyNG.

Everything is working fine, except that when I log in to X, the resolution changes from the 1280x1024@60 that I set it to back to 800x600. I am able to set it back again using the NVidia X Server Settings control panel, but next time I boot the same thing happens.

The bootup screens look good, and even the X login screen is at 1280x1024, but a few seconds after logging in (before my desktop background appears), the screens goes black and then comes back in 800x600, and I must once again manually change it. Also, the command "nvidia-settings --load-config-only" has no effect - I must change it through the Nvidia control panel.

Attached are my current xorg.conf and .nvidia-settings-rc files (I've tried playing with them a lot so far to no avail).

Anyone else run into this, or have any ideas for me?

May 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Are you running nvidia-settings as root? If you aren't then the configuration changes are not saved.

Hope that helps.

May 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I believe I did try doing a "sudo nvidia-settings", but I've messed around with it so much now that I forget what I've already done. And even if I did, maybe it wasn't on my most recent configuration.

I will try that post the results here.

May 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
run sudo displayconfig-gtk or gksudo displayconfig-gtk from a terminal (without -gtk in Kde i think).

May 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
No change with either suggestion, unfortunately.

May 8th, 2008, 06:41 AM
How about some of these: