PDA

View Full Version : [other] Reformatting

CharmCityCrab
May 5th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I need to reformat a real old machine that runs OpenSUSE so I can then do a fresh install of Xubuntu to replace it (and hopefully increase it's usability and speed in so doing). How do I do a complete reformat? Is there a terminal command I can use in SUSE? Some other method?

I want to wipe the thing clean completely (I don't need to preserve any data, it's not my a computer I currently use regularly, as it's an old hand me down that came to me through several other people who each tired of it) and use it as a backup/change of pace machine with xubuntu. I just need to get it completely clean so I can stick in a xubuntu live CD and install.

tamoneya
May 5th, 2008, 04:10 AM
just pop in the xubuntu liveCD and tell it to use the entire disk during the install. This will wipe anything that existed there before the install.

CharmCityCrab
May 5th, 2008, 04:39 AM
just pop in the xubuntu liveCD and tell it to use the entire disk during the install. This will wipe anything that existed there before the install.

Cool. I guess using Darik's Boot and Nuke was overkill then? :) That's what I wound up going with -- it's reformatting as we speak. I guess I should have checked back here before going ahead with it! :) I'll know better next time. Thanks for the response!

tamoneya
May 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
yeah that would be overkill. I use it though whenever I am decommissioning a harddrive. I don't have highly sensitive data but it is a good practice and I am sure once I get out of college I will start to have more sensitive data on my computers.