PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Odd Hardy problem - desktop "hiding" on initial log-in.

dennisrex
May 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Hi, all. I've got an odd problem. I recently upgraded to Hardy from Gutsy (via the update tool). Everything seemed to go fine, and I've had no issues except one: anytime I boot up/reboot, upon logging in, my desktop "hides." What I mean by that is, while I can see both toolbars/panels, instead of my usual wallpaper and icons, I see only a blue screen that is unreactive (i.e. nothing happens when I right-click, etc.). Now, my wallpaper and icons are all there, and I can interact with them, if I locate them via the file viewer, but accessing them on the desktop is not possible.

Now, here's the interesting part: if I log out and log back in, the problem fixes itself. The blue disappears, and my desktop is again available. I think the issue may have something to do with sessions, but changing the type of session I log in to doesn't change anything in a permanent way--when I reboot, the blue background returns.

I'm stumped--any suggestions?

[I apologize if this issue has been discussed elsewhere, or should be discussed in another forum, like Desktop Environments, but I searched for some time and didn't find anything quite like this, and since it's only been an issue since the upgrade, I thought here was the best place.]