PDA

View Full Version : A replacement for HP's quickplay?

TBOL3
May 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM
So, back when HP shipped their notebooks with XP, they had a feature called quickplay. Which would start up a machine within a few seconds (or so I read). Ever since they switched to vista, that feature has been removed, do to problems with Vista's boot loader. So now their idea of starting up quickplay is booting vista, loging in, showing you the desktop for about 5 minutes, and then starting up quickplay. Well, I think that feature would be awesome, that way I could use my notebook as a dvd player within seconds, without having to boot up all of ubuntu.

So I try out a few distro's. First I try out mythTV, great, but I still have to load the entire OS (I was actually getting from synaptic, is it different if I download the iso and make a separate partition for it?). So, I move onto LinuxMCE, it looks really good, other then that it will destroy my entire hard drive, and I only want to give it a partition on my hard drive. So I move on to GeexBox. It looks very promising, other then that you can't install it. It's idea of a quick and easy OS is starting it up, and then ejecting the disc, running it off of memory¸ which is worse then starting up the entire OS.

I've now reached a dead end. Do any of you know where I can get a really small version of linux. One that has a keyboard only gui, such as myth, or geexbox, or Windows media center (well, it can have a mouse, but I want to be able to control it 100% from the keyboard). I also want it to start up in seconds (after it reaches grub). And a bonus would be for it to be able to read the media on my main partition.

Also, if there is such an OS, is it possible to install it, without telling grub that this will be the main OS.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I would have asked this in a support forum, but because it's not really related to ubuntu, I couldn't find any that would fit.

init1
May 5th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Actually, you can install geexbox. Just type "install" at the boot prompt.

TBOL3
May 5th, 2008, 04:23 AM
great, oh, BTW, does it have a built in partitioner, or do I need to make one in ubuntu?

Thanks.