PDA

View Full Version : What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Happy_Man
May 5th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I recently installed Digsby on my Windows install, y'know, just to see what all the buzz was about. I was, to say the least, blown away. For those who don't know, Digsby aims to integrate IM, Email, and Social Networking in one handy application. And integrate it does. In fact, when I booted up into Linux, I immediately felt that there was something missing, and within 15 minutes, I booted back into Windows just for Digsby. This got me thinking.... "If I can be swayed to boot back into Windows just for one app, what other amazing Windows apps can there be?" Hence the creation of this thread. I ask you, fellow Ubuntuites.... what is your killer Windows app/ app you can't live without?

So for me:

Digsby (duh)
To an extent, Miro (yes I know it's available for Linux and is in the repos, but it doesn't seem to have the polish that the Windows version does)

Dr Small
May 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM
There is none for me.

munkyeetr
May 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Considering I haven't booted into a windows machine for over 6 months, I'd say there's none I can't be without, but I will say that I miss SmartFTP.

Filezilla and Bluefish work well and are fine, but I liked SmartFTP a lot for updating the website.

schtufbox
May 5th, 2008, 02:56 AM
In my case it's Reaper. Luckily it works perfectly in wine, and is made that way (it even lists wine as one of its listed OSs)
The only problem is a few VST plugins don't work so well, but that's okay, I can use others instead.
So really, I have no need of windows at all anymore.
The only Windows device in my house now is my pda/phone which runs windows mobile 6.

bilal.17
May 5th, 2008, 03:03 AM
only games, other than that none for me.

mikeg113
May 5th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I miss using DeLorme Street Atlas with my Earthmate GPS. I can't seem to get it to work in Wine. GPSDrive just doesn't get it.

hellmet
May 5th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Well.. there is nothing I'd kill somebody for.. but I'd like it if Flash worked with Firefox just like it does on Windows. I've no other complaint..

Glaxed
May 5th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I can definitely live without this one, but I need it to record etudes and practice sheet music in band.
Finale 08 and SmartMusic 10.

I tried to run under Wine, but guess what? The sound didn't work =p.

Winamp is another amazing one!!

Rhythmbox and Banshee just don't compare! (Though Amarok is getting very close, better syncing and a less hectic UI and then it'd be my #1).

will1911a1
May 5th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Nothing. I don't play games anymore so there's no reason for me to keep windows around anymore.

dashnak
May 5th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Games (Mainly, UT 2004).
Also, some developing tools, such as CodeGear Delphi 2007, and some Visual Studio stuff (which I am trying to learn, along with python and php, but linux is just great for those).

original_jamingrit
May 5th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Barbie's riding club. I've almost made it to the secret cottage.

swoll1980
May 5th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Just some work stuff I use Vbox for

Emerzen
May 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM
SnagIt

Mindjet Mindmanager

Emerzen
May 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM
SnagIt

Mindjet Mindmanager

atomkarinca
May 5th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I can definitely live without this one, but I need it to record etudes and practice sheet music in band.

Rhythmbox and Banshee just don't compare! (Though Amarok is getting very close, better syncing and a less hectic UI and then it'd be my #1).

Have you tried it with Timidity? I used Finale without a problem with it.

Phenax
May 5th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Games (Mainly, UT 2004).
Also, some developing tools, such as CodeGear Delphi 2007, and some Visual Studio stuff (which I am trying to learn, along with python and php, but linux is just great for those).

UT2004 works natively in Linux..

dashnak
May 5th, 2008, 04:24 AM
UT2004 works natively in Linux..
Oh yes, it works great when I install from the dvd.
But then, when I install the megapack (With the new vehicles and levels), sound NEVER works again, and everything runs slow as molasses.
If I want to kick my friends' butts, I have to be running the megapack.

linducky
May 5th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Its gotta be only FIFA [insert current year here] (the video game) for me, football is just good stress relief

santiump
May 5th, 2008, 04:34 AM
foobar2000 for me, but it runs on wine (with some problems).

madjr
May 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM

i use amarok in mini mode so the UI is not really very hectic...

also, u may want to check out Exaile, songbird, sonata, beep media player, audacious, xmms, etc.

jjascarm
May 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM
for me it is Libronix DLS - Bible software. Yes I know there is bible software under Linux, but there is nowhere near the amount, or quality of resources available, and the current version will not run under WINE.

Paqman
May 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Games and Dreamweaver. Kompozer is ok for straight html, but it doesn't work terribly well with dynamic sites.

RiceMonster
May 5th, 2008, 08:13 AM
foobar2000 for me, but it runs on wine (with some problems).

Ha, I thought I would have to run that in wine when I switched to Linux, but I liked Amarok even more than foobar2000.

There's not really anything I can't live without right now. At first it was Guitar Pro, but then I found TuxGuitar, which while not quite as good, does everything I need it to very well and it reads all the Guitar Pro files. The only game I really can't live without, Diablo II, runs nicely in wine, so every thing's good for me :).

Trail
May 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM
regedit.

No?

Well, ApexDC++ and AniDB-o-Matic are pretty much the only windows applications that I use. Through Wine of course.

Xbehave
May 5th, 2008, 08:20 AM
None although through slight jelousy of digsby im planing on learning how to code so that kmail+kopete+kdetwitter can kick its ****.
I mean theres not much functionality they lack, but with a few plugins i think the integration come 4.1 will match twitter, plus if with a few plugins & khtml & kmobileutils i think they could actually beat digsby (to prove it ill ofc have to try digsby, does it work under wine)

Martje_001
May 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I recently installed Digsby on my Windows install,
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4203/schermafdrukdm1.th.png (http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4203/schermafdrukdm1.png)

regomodo
May 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Adobe lightroom/Bridge CS2
Foobar2000
Solidworks
Autocad 07

Magnes
May 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM
1. Adobe InDesign - I'm using Scribus now, but this is not the same. InDesign = fun, Scribus = hard work to do the same task. Scribus has to many bugs. :(

2. VST instruments (like EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and others).

Lord_Phoenix
May 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
hrmmm...

M$ Visual Studio 2005, I am slowly moving to MonoDevelop, but it's gonna take a while...

Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0, made my kids movies with this, it's easy yet powerfull (multimedia, namely Audio / Video stuff (mostly video) it's still Linux's aquilles heel (not sure I got this one right))

M$ Access, need it's export features, haven't found a replacement yet, even though Calc comes close.

All of the above I am, of course, running under VirtualBox (used to be VMWare but since I can no longer get it to work I decided to go with VirtualBox instead, and so far it's all good (except USB, but isn't really important).

Under Wine I run the too apps I really can't get on without... uTorrent and CDisplay

So I guess I am not about to rid myself of Windows, at least not entirely, any time soon...

Atheistic Theist
May 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Primarily proper DirectX support for games. :| But I dual boot for that.

Also NewsLeecher - I haven't found a liking to Pan or Klibido.

Luke has no name
May 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Winamp music player... I use Amarok, but Winamp is completely amazing.

Games. I can't get CS:S or WoW to work in Wine (They should...) so that bugs me. I've been off Windows for close to 5 days now (on my comp, anyway) so it's a great experience being ONLY Ubuntu.

freduardo
May 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Winamp music player... I use Amarok, but Winamp is completely amazing.

I think there's quite a few music players available for Linux that look and act more like Winamp.

e.g. Audacious

Wobedraggled
May 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Winamp works via wine.

There is nothing I on the windows side I need that I cant get running.

billgoldberg
May 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Well.. there is nothing I'd kill somebody for.. but I'd like it if Flash worked with Firefox just like it does on Windows. I've no other complaint..

I agree.

The only reason I have a 30gb windows partition on my desktop is because of Counterstrike Source.

I know it works great in Wine (according to winehq) but my ATI drivers won't play along.

MemoryDump
May 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
only games, other than that none for me.

if all the big retail games would work natively under Linux (without needing Wine) the world would be a better place :)

phr0ze
May 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
ITUNES ITUNES ITUNES.

Actually it's not Itunes really, it's just the ability to easily send video to the Ipod and the apple tv. I haven't found a way in Linux yet.

The RAW (photos) processing software seems to be much better in windows too.

popch
May 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
MS Access.

Easytax (Swiss tax declaration program, appears to be running in 8.04, did not in 7.10).

DoktorSeven
May 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Just games, but I can't be bothered to deal with Windows any more. Never again.

I can live without the games I can't run in Linux.

Dyqik
May 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Work related:-
AutoCAD
Inventor
Ansoft HFSS (only have windows licences)
Ansoft Designer (ditto)
CST Microwave Studio (ditto)
Sonnet EM Suite (ditto)
TICRA GRASP (ditto)

Home:-
FLStudio 8
Mackie Tracktion 2
Line6 Gearbox
Many VST plugins
Various games that I can live without

keykero
May 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Sony Vegas Pro, Dreamweaver, Flash (the development environment), Irfanview, the whole Dawn of War Series... that's just off the top of my mind.

howiehowie93
May 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Hi great thread,
for work - MS Access because i have so much invested in it's abilities.

But for me its got to be Lotus Organiser - I just cannot get it to work with WINE! Neither V5 or V6.Its sooooo handy to have and my whole life is in one file. plus i have never found another program that has a planner view for calander line Org does. Beleive me i've searched; evolution, kmail, plan, thunderbird all of those & more - at least they are all free.

If anyone has an alternative I'll gladly try.
regards
Howie

IHATEDLINK
May 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
iTunes....
OH I MISS IT SO MUCH!
The way it keep my library organized, cover flow, the store, the BEAUTIFUL iPod autosync...
There's a project for iTunes on Linux here in the forums, try searching iTunes Linux Project...

Glaxed
May 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
iTunes? Thought it was really slow on Windows... Hey have you tried the latest Winamp?
It's really buggy (crashes often with videos), but it has awesome syncing with iPods and other portable media devices. I don't think it has a good store but you can stream live music from different channels and get cover art too.

-- this isn't intended to sound like an advertisement, sorry

pricetech
May 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Don't really have a "killer app" I can't live without, but it would be nice to get my Groupwise at work to function properly.
I've used the Groupwise client, converted from rpm to deb using alien, but it's really glitchy.
I've tried repeatedly to get Evolution to work, but authentication fails every time and it repeatedly crashes when I close out of the settings window.
That's to only thing I need a windows machine around for on a regular basis. Even remote desktop is handled by Termincal Server Client so I can remote in to a windows box running Groupwise and use it that way if I have to.

Xbehave
May 7th, 2008, 10:43 PM
iTunes....
OH I MISS IT SO MUCH!
The way it keep my library organized, cover flow, the store, the BEAUTIFUL iPod autosync...
There's a project for iTunes on Linux here in the forums, try searching iTunes Linux Project...
Dear god dont start me on an iTunes rant, atleast your not an apple user praising iTunes tho
Anyway...to keep a music library organised amarok does a pretty good job.
To organise it in the 1st place there theres EasyTag (it takes a while but even a collection of the worst labbeld torrents can be sorted into need fully labeled folders with this thing)
iPod sync is covered by amarok too I think

There was a brainstorm idea too, but it died on its ***, which is a shame because even though i hate iTunes and everything it stands for it was a good idea.

IHATEDLINK
May 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Double post, sorry, please delete.

AmishFury
May 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
games for the most part...

Exact Audio Copy... i have yet to find anything for linux that works to my satisfaction
Foobar2000... still have yet to find a linux player i like as much as foobar2000

sixdrift
May 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Nothing I can't live without. Only thing I want are some games (getting them under wine may work, but there are issues).

But honestly, since I went Windows-free over a year ago, I have no reason to go back.

Mateo
May 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Stickies for windows. Blows the gnome Sticky Notes out of the water.

cardinals_fan
May 8th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Stickies for windows. Blows the gnome Sticky Notes out of the water.
Try Xpad.

I miss Big Kahuna Reef. It runs OK in WINE, but I hate WINE.

Kingsley
May 8th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Solitaire

Window Vista's Solitaire blows GNOME's out of the water. Vista's has better graphics and animations. You're also able to automatically sort the cards by pressing some key combination. Solitaire has been on Windows for over 15 years, and they know how to do it right. For the one time a month that I boot into Vista to make sure my security is in check, I play at least 3 rounds of it's awesome Solitaire.

SEXY:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/demasterk/vistasolitaire.png

BOOOOO:
http://i32.tinypic.com/332copj.png

elmer_42
May 8th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Games, but mainly Battlefield 2. Everything else I use Ubuntu for.

Dang, we need a smiley of the smiley guy hugging the Ubuntu logo.

AmishFury
May 9th, 2008, 02:08 AM
photoshop... i like the gimp but i absolutely despise the interface... plus gimpshop made the gimp not load

i'll use gimp for basic crop and resize when i'm in linux but anything more advanced than that... photoshop is easier to work with

also i have yet to find an acceptable dvd collection manager for linux... something like DVD Profiler 3

Sivan
May 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Itunes.

I have an iPod Touch which I cannot sync without iTunes.

Sure, I could sync using wireless but I don't have a wireless router.

So for now, I dual boot to Windows XP to sync my iPod.

SuperSon!c
May 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Foobar2000
EAC
DbPoweramp
Photoshop
Line6 guitar pod software
FLstudio
Guitartracks
Winamp
a few games.

basically, i don't want/need/have to move away from windows completely, so no big deal. i'm as happy booting into it as i am linux - there are pros and cons to both.

geo909
May 11th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Cubase. And the whole recording issue is so much simpler in Windows.
That (and maybe some extremely rare compatibility issues) is the only reason I keep dual booting..

Mateo
May 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Try Xpad.

That's not a stickies application. It's a notepad application, akin to Tomboy (which I'm fine with).

ice60
May 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
proxomitron

it's the greatest program ever!!!!!

it's a http/s proxy, it rewrites pages the way i want them, it takes out ads, changes the referrer, changes the way pages look, removes security problems before they have been patched, stops popups, filters https pages (it's the only program that can i think) it can do anything you want it to, all you have to do is write a filter for it. i use it with wine, so i still use it :D

the overview here explains a bit more -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxomitron

http://www.geocities.com/sidki3003/prox.html
http://www.proxomitron.info/
http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Intro.html

karellen
May 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
various games
office 2007
winamp
yahoo messenger

Johnsie
May 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
MSN Messenger
TVU (TV watching program)
HoverRace - It's open source but nobody has ported it to Linux
My phone software
Microsoft Office - Don't talk to me about Oen Office
Winamp - Great for brooadcasting live to my shoutcast server
Windows Media Encoder - Great for streaming video to the web
Trillian
Bluetooth softwar that works with my bt adapter
Yahoo messenger for the audio chatrooms (Gyachi is dead)

imT
May 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
no one miss winrar ? i haven't seen anything similar in linux.

Jerry41
May 12th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Legacy Family Tree
Ancestry.Com
Irfanview (with support for my scanner)

SuperSon!c
May 12th, 2008, 01:19 AM
no one miss winrar ? i haven't seen anything similar in linux.

forgot about that one. always loved it, still use it.

Zephalie
May 12th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Definately Photoshop and iTunes for synchronizing.

Barriehie
May 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM
At this point it would be FS2004; I've invested a few years and bucks into that one! Currently weighing the pros and cons of hassling with installing XP onto my now totally Ubuntu box. I'm stoked on my Ubuntu install and don't want to threaten it with my noobishness! :)

Barrie

prd
May 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM
foobar. badly.
I can live without itunes, but I can't without foobar.

K.Mandla
May 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
My killer Windows app is Linux.

jethro10
May 14th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Nascar Racing 2003 game.
Have a pc especially for that now i'm afraid :-(

Which i'll be co-incidentally racing online tonight in my first ever truck race with V8Thunder!
J

cgrenier
May 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Two programs only: if full linux versions were to come out, I would have no reason to switch to Windows.

1. Foldershare - I use multiple computers daily and NEED to keep those files in sync. I am writing academic papers with a lot of confusing version variations... I need the synchronizing to be simple an automatic, and Foldershare does that.

2. Itunes - I have an ipod and like to keep the firmware updated, and I like synching instead of manual file transfer Rhythmbox style. As far as music playing goes, Rhythmbox and Banshee are perfect.

Bungo Pony
May 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Two make my list:

1) MP3Gain: Equalizes the sound in your MP3 collection. Thank god it works in WINE!

2) Nero Vision: The only reason I still use Windows :(

uraldinho
May 16th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Definitely MS Office

To a lesser extent Visual Studio. After trying every single imaginable IDE and text editor, I settled for kate (she's my gf now), KDevelop, and Eclipse. GNOME based IDEs don't do it for me...

sober
May 17th, 2008, 07:47 AM
CoolEdit Pro, along with Ableton, Cakewalk and FL Studio.... :(

angry_johnnie
May 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Launchy was good.
In fact, it was great!
I wish there was a Linux equivalent.
I guess one could try using a combination of alt+f2/beagle/deskbar/gnome-launch-box... but it just doesn't cut it.
Other than that, it's Linux all the way. :-)

bufsabre666
May 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM
mvp baseball 2005 and utorrent are the 2 i use everyday

n3rd1sh
May 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Just a few for me, Lightroom, CS2, iTunes and the game iSnooker.

Xerp
May 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Just games for me.

If the entire Adobe suite worked though, then I could upgrade all my Mac users...

dbera
May 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Launchy was good.
alt+f2/beagle/deskbar/gnome-launch-box... but it just doesn't cut it.

You are looking for "gnome-do".

angry_johnnie
May 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM
You are looking for "gnome-do".

Nice one. :-)
I stand corrected.

crash91
May 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
The CS3 suite and Office 2007 (Although ive got most of office working on wine :D)

alquimista
May 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
MS Office and iTunes.

Open Office is a good choice, but does not have all the functionality I need that its already in MS Office... and the document interaction with my clients its all by MS Office docs; ODF is a good alternative and I'd promote it... but the reality is that now, most of documents formats used are in MS Office.

In Kubuntu I have not found a good replacement for iTunes... in it I need the iTunes store, browse podcasts, etc.

faskunji
May 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Rational Rose: No other UML tools force you to use correct steps when designing software.
Lock On - Flaming Cliffs (http://lockon.co.uk/) : Best military flight simulator. (Win)
Falcon 4.0: Allied Force (http://www.lead-pursuit.com/products.htm) : best sim for cockpit and tactics. (Win, Mac)
X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com/) : best sim for design and experiments (Win,Mac, Linux very bad)

As you can see most of them are games...

Majorix
May 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Visual Studio. MonoDevelop is simply no use compared to VS.

mrojas73
May 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have none, I use Gimp for graphics instead of photoshop or fireworks, BluseFish for DW, Scan2Pdf for paperless instead of mmm...Paperport, Skype instead Yahoo messanger, OpenOffice for MS Office and the list goes on and on.

Now when I go to work and I am stuck with windows as a Windows Asministrator I miss my Linux system to the point that I can't belive people actually are so stuck with it. I miss the flexibility more than anything else but a Linux like forum where I can go for all my questions, an application manager like Synaptic, I miss the Gnome interface, the ability to restart just the graphic interface and not the whole system and hate having to reboot every so often.

briandu
May 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
to the issue on iTunes - I use gtkpon and is just as good.

rage-against-windows
May 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I was quite fond of Yahaven!, but its not something I cant do without. Gyache may someday be a good replacement, but its not there yet.

Remma
May 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM
proxomitron

it's a http/s proxy, it rewrites pages the way i want them, it takes out ads, changes the referrer, changes the way pages look, removes security problems before they have been patched, stops popups, filters https pages (it's the only program that can i think) it can do anything you want it to, all you have to do is write a filter for it. i use it with wine, so i still use it :D

Gotta agree this is a killer program, it also runs flawlessly under wine =D

For me the killer app I (other than games heh) is TMPEGenc, I've yet to find anything under Linux that'll convert an avi to a playable DVD without all the jumping through hoops.
I've yet to try running it through wine however

geekygirl
May 26th, 2008, 02:52 AM
itunes (yes another one lol) - I buy all my music through itunes (and itunes has an Australian based store so for the sake of OSS etc I WILL NOT buy my music from Bigpond EVER!!) VM Ware thankfully saves me that heartache lol, nothing beats it for ease of use, yadda yadda, and its just easier with my ipod.

The other apps are probably just the games I cannot 'yet' get to play under Wine like Halo 2, Bioshock, Crysis (but just for the challenge to get it running under wine - game iteself is rather *yawn*..heh)

I also have a few doujin soft games that have been temperamental at best with wine as well as some of the doujinsoft game making software and other garage games IDE's like The Games Factory. I also cannot use WoW Model Veiwer or WoW home server type apps running under Ubuntu/Linux. (and no dont start suggesting I learn to write games in Python..one thing at a time :p)

So unfortunately just yet I cannot become completly windows free :( but I am not a Windows 'hater' either..sometimes we all have to deal with neccessay evils in life lol

Joint((!!))
May 26th, 2008, 07:25 PM
CoolEdit Pro, along with Ableton, Cakewalk and FL Studio.... :(

those are my killer apps, plus photoshop, illustrator, Flash and sony vegas.
BTW all the apps that use sound perform a lot better on Windows. I think ubuntu just hates my sound card and its always hard to play music or whatever uses sound.

SirThom
May 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I really liked being able to use Nero to design my lightscribe DVD labels. I do the thing now where I use Inkscape to design the label, if I include any graphics, import the label into gimp to clean up borders and artefacts, and then use 4l. Nero just had this really amazing system for designing labels and burning them (and I like to get really artistic with my labels).
That is the only application that I would like working in ubuntu.

id1337x
May 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Most of the Windows Apps I used work or are shipped in Linux. On Windows I use Pidgin, GIMP, Mozilla, etc...

AndyCooll
May 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
None.

I haven't had Windows installed on any of my pc's for a couple of years now. And only Windows game I play is Football Manager and that works fine with Wine. If they brought out a Linux version of that then everything would be honky-dory. Even FM I could live without if necessary ...but since it works under Wine, I don't!

:cool:

lungmojo
October 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM
beep media player is the same as winamp, check it out

uid313
October 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
bash, stjerm, rhythmbox, compiz.

mick316
October 30th, 2008, 12:39 AM
For me, it is Printing directly to CD with my Pixma Ip3000 - I have set up Virtualbox for this anwyay. That is all I use Windows for.

d_skillz
October 30th, 2008, 02:39 AM
have to say Quickbooks & Meta-trader4 forex platform. Really wish I had these

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 02:47 AM
CS3 Master Collection, and autodesk's 3Ds Max 2008. This is for my college courses. Naturally I'm tossing windows after college regardless if support comes for both or not through wine or other.

misterf1
October 31st, 2008, 07:47 AM
The ONLY reason I wouldn't mind a Linux version of iTunes is for the store. Being an Ex-Pat American, having a US credit card means that I can still get all my TV shows from back home, regardless of where I am in the world. The ticket for that is priceless.

The only other program which I would miss is Jet Audio (COWON, iAudio mp3 player, D2, A2, same company, made in Korea). It's a rock-hard program that played absolutely everything and spanked Winamp and every other player on functionality and ease of use to the ground every time. Plus it had all the convert features for both audio and video. It played DVD's and streamed like no other. I'm holding a personal moment of silence mainly for this one...

The other work related programs would be:
Solidworks
AIM software (race car data logger, not the stupid AOL stuff, I've got pidgin for that)
-various other race car data logger applications

On another note, everybody is still mentioning wine on this thread as an alternative and I would assume everyone is either on 8.04 or 8.10. Does this program actually work? Wine crashed my 64bit 7.04 last year and I flailed around for months trying to fix it. To be fair, I'm a little gun-shy. I wouldn't mind trying the VM-ware, but haven't heard any reviews.

trekrem
October 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Two-way radio programming software. That is the ONLY thing holding me back from switching 100%. (Most programs probably would work with Wine however it's not worth the risk of ruining a $800-$2000 radio to find out.)

Laibcoms
October 31st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Nothing really, I'm just lazy to get my XP apps to work for Linux :p But if I'm not feeling lazy, I can make them work just fine, or I can find a similar product.

And talk about XP apps, that will be 7-Zip, FileZilla, and a few others... which mostly have a Linux version :p See, I'm just lazy ;)

Games? So far, I can run every game I play with Linux+Wine. I'm also experimenting with other games since I'm planning on opening an Internet Cafe with nothing but Ubuntu :p

itsStephen
October 31st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Photoshop

I can't make the switch to Linux (I'd LOVE to switch to Kubuntu 8.10 though) because I won't have it.

fachex
November 1st, 2008, 05:05 AM
1. Libronix!
2. I have a Gateway Tablet PC, nothing comes close to Vista when using tablet pc functions. I could not make Ubuntu to recognize my stylus or my screen. I've seen some Tablet PC stuff for Linux, but they are isolated. Vista has everything smoothly integrated. I know that if did not have a laptop. I will use Ubuntu only, and I will find a way to make Libronix work.

Wishing List.
1. Tablet PC stuff
2. Libronix
3. Google Chrome.
4. Netflix!!!

uncibex
November 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM
The one application I've really missed is One Note, though I recently found an open source substitute that I'd like to try out between semesters... open office is just not the best it could be for taking notes.

The only other thing that I ever boot to windows for is to watch TV online... though I can occasionally get things to work through wine.

Other than that, I'd just appreciate it if my school's wireless printing would support linux... but that isn't likely as it currently doesn't always work in windows or mac.

ajeffreys
November 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
The major one stopping me from moving is the use of iTunes, with the apple store etc.... and also Microsoft Office 2008, which I need for school.

klepto
November 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Foxit Reader Pro(highlight, comment, etc)
Winamp(haven't found a nullsoft video player in Linux)
...wonder if I could get OneNote working in wine although basKet note pads is really good.
IE6, sometimes there are sites that only work with ie.
uTorrent, it is the best.

eternalnewbee
November 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Zero. Nada.

c2olen
November 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I am off Windows for over two years now, and there's not really anything left I need to use Windows for.

Like many others, I could use a Linux version of iTunes for my iPhone/iPod. And I know many of you really hate iTunes, but it works ok for me.
I use it in a VMware image, just as some other stuff I need for work, like MS Visio.

Actually, MS Visio is one tool I miss in Linux, and I just don't seem to be able to get along with GIMP. I try, but still wish for a Linux Photoshop edition.

dirtylobster
November 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
The Full Tilt Poker client.

ZankerH
November 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Like many others, I could use a Linux version of iTunes for my iPhone/iPod. And I know many of you really hate iTunes, but it works ok for me.
I use it in a VMware image, just as some other stuff I need for work, like MS Visio.

Rhythmbox and Amarok both work great with ipods. Of course, a more open player is always in order, but I've had zero trouble with ipods.

I've been as windows free as possible... that is, so far I've been unablee to find a single windows application I couldn't live without that doesn't have either a Linux version or a suitable Free alternative. I should note though, that I'm not involved in any job or university that would require me to use specific software.

Corfy
November 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM
what is your killer Windows app/ app you can't live without?

Here is a list of some of the Windows apps I just can't live without.

OpenOffice.org
Firefox
GIMP
Thunderbird
Pidgin
Scribus
Inkscape
KompoZer
FileZilla
VLC Player
7-zip
KeePass

In fact, I find it hard to use Windows without these programs, and I use them all regularly on my Windows computer (well, OK, I don't use Inkscape that often, but when I need it, I'm glad I have it).

The fact that they are all available on Linux in no way diminishes the importance of these programs on Windows, it just diminishes the importance of Windows.

:lolflag:

To be fair, the main programs keeping me on Windows at work are APT Falcon Editorial, APT Falcon OrderEntry, and APT Falcon A/R. I have yet to have any luck installing these programs on WINE, nor have I found Linux equivalents.

jwkolberg
November 6th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Pro Tools & Reason

karellen
November 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
games and Visual Studio

sledge73
November 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Camfrog!!!! Love it!!!!! Lets get it ported to Ubuntu!!!

segalion
November 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I only know a killer application in Windows that cannot have in linux:

Autohotkey

This is for me, by far far far, THE BEST WINDOWS APPLICATION EVER.

I suppose one day more people understand me.

meg23
November 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Its probably the windows registry. I wish there was a way to run it on wine. I miss the way computers get slower and slower.

clanky
November 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM
It's AutoCAD for me, I need it for work and the only way to run it is to run it in Windows. Apart from that I like Chrome more than any other browser on the market at the moment, so until Google come up with Chrome for Linux I will be mostly using Windows.

ljdellar
November 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM
For me it's Amplitude from IK Multimedia.

Apparently you can use it through Wine, but my Toneport GX will not work with Ubuntu.

linuxguymarshall
November 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Nothing I CAN'T live without but Quake Live is amazing. Been trying to get it to work in wine.

Kuoi
December 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Without a doubt ,...
Jriver Media Center !!
Very handy to record live-cd's without gaps.
And don't tell me there are more programs that do the same ... try them , and then try Jriver's Media Center .
I always use an overlay of 0,1 seconds between the songs , because most is live in my case.

It also can make mix-cd's with ease.

It can also ... about everything needed for music .
Video , ipod , photo's , etc. too , but i use it only for audio .

):P
Kuoi

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I don't use Windows apart from Linux, I use a Mac. So for me, my "killer" Mac apps are iTunes (for full iPod support and capability), Photoshop, InDesign, and even though it's massively overkill for what little I do with it, DreamWeaver.

That all being said, Gimp and Scribus have made some pretty big strides, and I honestly look forward to seeing them one day break the Adobe hegemony. Sadly, both Adobe and Quark have become far too big for their britches, and while not quite to the level and degree of "evilness" of Microsoft, they're definitely not the "hat-in-hand" companies they once were.

As for DreamWeaver... I wish someone would write an equivalent to it for Linux. The stuff that's presently out there for web development in Linux really doesn't help a visual and graphical kind of person like myself. I view HTML in much the same way I view PostScript. It's the thing which should be generated as a result of my actions.

magmon
December 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Warcraft 3, but that can be configured to work.. Or so I hear.

handy
December 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
DVDShrink - Wine
Smartripper - Wine
Guild Wars - Crossover Games
Oblivion - Cedega

killernat
December 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
easy 2 edit desktop layout and colors

SeanHodges
December 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
None, the few Windows apps I do use, I use with Wine.

Bigneil
December 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
The printer., if i could get my printer working i would have no need for windows xp anymore LOL.

Although, i would like to say that lack of a working printer is completely down to my own ineptitude with computing, and not the fault of linux.

OH, i almost forgot. Sonicstage for my sony walkman. again, it is probably my own lack of computing skills rather than lack of ubuntu capabilities. MURMPH

tsbaker
December 5th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I hate to admit it b/c the latest version sucks and it's really slow, but iTunes. I have a new iPhone 3G and I need iTunes to backup apps, and to reload new music etc. Other than that, I've never been a gamer and I have both a Wii and 360 so what gaming I do do is done on those.

I heart Ubuntu..........:D

figi22
December 5th, 2008, 01:19 AM
iTunes, which I have on my Mac. However after trying to install it with WINE, the experience reminded me of installing it on Windows, when Quicktime tries to take over the computer, and I wiped it all clean. I might try another program, but while I've still got the Mac there's no need. My iPod is not the latest model, so I'm sure it will work with something.

Navigation and weather software for the boat would be nice. Think that's all Windows-only.

Just had my friend round for hours this evening - trying without success to remove viruses from her ancient Windows XP Sony Vaio (which can barely run at all with Avast on it). She kept going on that she couldn't do without MS Office, but I think I've finally got her to relent to trying Ubuntu as a temporary measure until she can afford a new machine. We'll see... she may be converted yet!

gychang
December 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Filemaker Pro, I use it often, haven't run into a similar database in linux.

gychang

RiceMonster
December 5th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I guess foobar2000. I can live without it, but it's by far the best audio play I've ever used and it keeps getting better.

Oh, and SkiFREE. Best game ever.

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I loved skifree! I need to get it again. Won't it run in WINE?

I don't remember if I've posted here before, but Halo PC is really the only reason I use Windows. And the Halo modding apps. Actually, the more recent apps have been coded by a Mac user, and he compiles *nix versions on request. :D

magmon
December 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Dude, halo on linux!

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_PC_(Linux)

WinterMadness
December 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM
photoshop im sorry, but gimp is just not as good. maybe it will be, but it needs a lot of work, and if someone like myself who is terrible at photoshop can notice the difference, thats pretty bad

WaeV
December 5th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Dude, halo on linux!

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_PC_(Linux)

When using sound, on any sound system (OSS not known), the game will lag due to a bug in the dsound/winealsa driver. Using the -nosound command argument will remove sound, but will increase gameplay performance 10x.
I've tried, and they're probably improved, but I prefer to run Halo on max graphics and still get over 30 fps. Maybe I'll check it out again when I have free time, thanks for the link.

Also, +1 Photoshop. I just can't get used the Gimp's layout, though I use it occasionally for quick fixes. Actually, I can't even get used to the layout in the new versions of photoshop, lol. (good thing, b/c they're expensive.)

sharon.gmc
December 5th, 2008, 05:18 AM
for me, it's just the games. . .

astabeno
December 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I haven't used Windows in a long time, but recently I have had to make some newsletters which I use Scribus for. It gets the job done but it is really clunky. My wife does a lot of it and I am afraid she'll use Publisher one day and beg me to get a Windows machine with full blown office. I don't want to do that.

RiceMonster
December 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I loved skifree! I need to get it again. Won't it run in WINE?

Yeah, it runs just fine in WINE. I mentioned it because it's windows only though.

gluefish
December 5th, 2008, 09:53 AM
SCITE.

And on the Mac side, I miss GarageBand.

SeanHodges
December 5th, 2008, 10:49 AM
SCITE.

SCITE is cross-platform? http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDownload.html

Rodney9
December 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Working Hibernate and Auto Start

mangar
December 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Visual Studio
Visual Assist
Tag and Rename
uTorrent
Babylon translator
Beyond Compare
Total Commander
WinRar
Fallout 3
Guitar Hero III
NDS Tokyo Trim
Nokia PC-Suit
Notepad++

jmacx81
December 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
It would have to be microsoft office, I know Open Office is great but presentations just don't look as good when you make them on open office and take them to work and show them on power point. If only I could install Microsoft Office 2007 on Ubuntu I'd be great

Flag
December 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Drivers, drivers and drivers.
Cannot run under Ubuntu 8.10 - Canon Selphy 720, slide scanner, skype, cheese etc etc.
Went back to 8.04 just for skype.

fallingleaf
December 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM
A GUI (that actually works) for configuring a second monitor.

MS Publisher. I could get my wife to switch if there were some Linux app that would open .pub files, or if it would run with Wine.

xrecar
December 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS4

lawtech
December 6th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I've tried to switch a lot of people to Linux, and managed for a few. The "game stopper" is nearly always the same: Quickbooks and Turbotax. People who see their computer primarily as a business and household finance tool are enthusiastic up to that point. Then I hear "Call me when you get those running." Without their favorite and familiar, latest and greatest accounting and tax software, it's simply "Forget it. I'd still have to run my old system." The ones who have switched didn't run those two particular applications.

mhh91
December 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
utorrent,because transmission doesn't really do it for me,and vuze (azureus) kills my CPU :(

WinterMadness
December 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Visual Studio
Visual Assist
Tag and Rename
uTorrent
Babylon translator
Beyond Compare
Total Commander
WinRar
Fallout 3
Guitar Hero III
NDS Tokyo Trim
Nokia PC-Suit
Notepad++

Utorrent works in wine, i know ive used it regularly

Winrar is unnecessary, just use the extractor ubuntu has
notepad works, and comes with wine.

keylog
December 6th, 2008, 09:36 PM
flasget is my favourite program on xp and i couldn't find a deriative on linux..

john davies
December 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I would like to be able to use REASON & CUBASE I know I have AUDACITY so perhaps just REASON.I am a newbie & have heard about wine which I think is installed on my Intrepid Ibex (I believe thats it 8.10 )loaded 2 nd Oct on my elonex webbook which is a 1.6GHz processor & ugraded to 1 Gb Ram 80 Gb HD.
Any help for a total newbie who is having difficulty in operating a 2 nd monitor/ lcd projector off the VGa port with linux & not able to get a IR usb radio mouse on Linux these are simple things that work off the bat with a windows OS.
I would like to give Linux a fair crack of the whip but so far even simple things do ont seem to be as straight forward to use as on a windows based OS & I can see me perhaps ditching for windows os instead!
Sorry Folks

dixon
December 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM
flasget is my favourite program on xp and i couldn't find a deriative on linux..
Try fatrat (http://fatrat.dolezel.info/)

shatteredmindofbob
January 9th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Windows Live Writer

Ivo Moelans
January 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Lotus Approach, a database program.
There was a time I used it a lot, but recently I haven't much need for databases so I don't miss it too much.
Nevertheless, a good GUI database program with a nice and versatile interface to design and maintain specialized databases would be an enormous plus for Linux in general.

oygle
January 14th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I couldn't find an email client in Ubuntu (tried them all) that came anywhere near pegasus Mail, so had to run Pegasus under WINE. But it has problems and closes on exit every time I send an email, so I had to finally 'give up' on Pegasus and use KMail ; it's pretty good.

I can see I will still have to have an XP drive to boot up into though, just to do scanning on my Epson V100. The scanning in Ubuntu is very poor quality, and no where near as many tools and functions that I had under XP. Also, the OCR side of scanning under Ubuntu, absolutely terrible, the text is unrecognisable,

I have tried sane, XSane, and all the others.

So, will have to keep the XP going, just to boot into it, for scanning only.

Pity. :(

mwillams73
January 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I dont use windows anymore but I miss windows media player 11, BitTorrent 6.0.3 ( the one and only original), Splinter cell pandora tomorrow, Doom 3,I hate that transmission take 5 times longer to download the same files with the same peers than BitTorrent, I cant get splintercell to run with out being sluggish and jittery in wine nor doom 3, but hopefully (im about to find out) BitTorrent will work in wine! As for wmp 11 I guess I'll have to live with banshee till linux comes up with something that works as well as wmp 11 did for me.

Dragonbite
January 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I second Windows Live Writer. I haven't found a blog writer that handles the multiple sites, writing and formatting so easily.

Most of my Windows-requirements, though, are work related (appropriate since I only have Ubuntu running at home).

Of my work-related requirements (other than hooking into Active Directory, Office, Outlook, etc.) the must-haves include;

Visual Studio (our intranet is in ASP.NET and VB (of various forms) is what I am experienced with, though I am trying to get time to try using C# which can lead me to Mono)
Enterprise Manager/SQL Query Analyser/SQL Server 2008 client (is related to the ASP.NET intranet plus much of my work is developing reports and working with the database more than ASP.NET coding)
Crystal Reports (when I get a chance, I want to try Pentahoo but I haven't had that chance yet)
Adobe Acrobat (not reader, the Professional version which I use to combine multiple PDFs into a single PDF report)

Since I don't do development work at home, this isn't an issue for me at home thus I use Linux.

bnicely
January 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Homeseer (home automation)
Bria (voip client from counterpath)

fallingleaf
January 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I hate that transmission take 5 times longer to download the same files with the same peers than BitTorrent, I cant get splintercell to run with out being sluggish and jittery in wine nor doom 3, but hopefully (im about to find out) BitTorrent will work in wine! As for wmp 11 I guess I'll have to live with banshee till linux comes up with something that works as well as wmp 11 did for me.

Transmission has never worked for me. I use Azureus (aka Vuze). Very fast and lots of features and plugins, but not lightweight.

fissionmailed
January 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
There isn't really one. I can run my old old games in wine or a VM and they work. I know when I finish college though I'm pretty sure I'll have to use windows for work.

Mohamedzv2
January 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Cinema 4D is pretty much the only reason I stay on Windows (along with the fact that I can't do wireless on Ubuntu) and I know I can use blender, but C4D is just so much better imo and WINE doesn't work with it. Imean, I can install it but nothing works

Thirtysixway
January 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I miss having games like Flyff, rappelz things like that. I also miss the really simple windows movie maker.

TWO
January 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Mainstream games- I can't live without them! :KS

Winamp- yeah, Amarok 1.4 is brilliant and I love using it but in all honesty, there is nothing else quite like Winamp! (Audacious and XMMS don't cut it for me really. Songbird (http://www.getsongbird.com/) is shaping up nicely though...)

Guitar Pro- WINE and Guitar Pro don't get along too well unfortunately... :guitar: And I have tried TuxGuitar but it (understandably) isn't at the level of Guitar Pro just yet...I wish they'd make a Linux version!

playing MIDI files- No, seriously. Not being able to do so without other sound going haywire under Linux is one of my biggest annoyances. I guess this one doesn't really need to be listed here since I can do this under Linux, but it's just a bit messy sometimes.

Windows Movie Maker- Whilst there are several movie editing programs under Linux, I have to admit that it is much more pleasant to do so with WMM, in my own experience at least.

oh, and...--drumroll-- AVG anti-virus- :lolflag: C'mon! This program is probably more important than all of the ones I have listed above under Windows! Having to use it every now and again, naturally, I would become attached to it...:lol:

Garudi
January 18th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I really wish Mathcad would work in linux, either through wine, or with a clone.

But it just doesn't, and nothing comes close to it in linux.

So I have to keep windows installed.

Also a decent IM program that supports webcams as well as ms messenger.

TWO
January 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Also a decent IM program that supports webcams as well as ms messenger.

Have you tried aMSN or Kopete? I think those two programs can support webcams, however the whole webcam support under Linux problem is very much down to the fact that some webcam manufacturers don't release drivers for Linux systems, and the backwards engineered linux drivers don't always work so well. Trick is to make sure you have a webcam that has Linux drivers available, and better still, ask the manufacturer to make drivers for Linux!!

deepclutch
January 19th, 2009, 12:37 AM
a simple thing - gtalk(VOIP) .although ,there are many clients which can be called as in very inital testing phases(including empathy that I uses) ,It is a sad story.no real voip client with good developer support.

LuisAugusto
January 19th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Mmm... A powerful video, and audio, and image editor.

oygle
January 19th, 2009, 02:46 AM
This maybe doesn't even qualify as an 'app', but networking on Windows 'works', but unfortunately, Network manager (and other methods) do not result in 'easy' networking on Linux/Ubuntu.

Take a look at the networking and wireless forum, so many people are having problems, and some have ditched Ubuntu and gone back to Windooze. :(

shadowdude1794
January 19th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Video chat... Oh how I wish Pidgin had video support.

LuisAugusto
January 19th, 2009, 03:09 AM
This maybe doesn't even qualify as an 'app', but networking on Windows 'works', but unfortunately, Network manager (and other methods) do not result in 'easy' networking on Linux/Ubuntu.

Take a look at the networking and wireless forum, so many people are having problems, and some have ditched Ubuntu and gone back to Windooze. :(

Mmm, true. But if your network card is supported is far easier and better done than in Vista (actually Windows 7 "network-manager" it's a completely ripp-off from our Network-manager).

oygle
January 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Mmm, true. But if your network card is supported is far easier and better done than in Vista (actually Windows 7 "network-manager" it's a completely ripp-off from our Network-manager).

I just wish I knew where to get some solutions. Maybe I should post to the NM mailing list.

BigCityCat
January 19th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Slingbox

nmsonmez
January 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Autocad :S

xeddog
January 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I have a short list of minor apps and two biggies.

1. Ford technical manual is Windows only and doesn't work with Wine.
2. Weather Exchange - this allows you to look at peoples personal weather stations and the Ambient Weather database. It won't even install in Wine and there is no equivalent Linux app. I like this one a lot because it lets me look at several neighborhood weather stations.
3. Epson Utilities (I haven't tried them with Wine)
4. Pinnacle Studio 11 Plus - There is probably a mess of separate linux apps, but Studio does it all EASILY in one app. This is a biggee.
5. Police Call - Windows only and doesn't work with Wine.
6. PrintMaster 16 Platinum does not work well in Wine. It installs ok, and is useable as long as you don't need to print anything.
7. Legacy Family Tree - In older releases of Wine it would at least install but wouldn't open a database. In the latest version of Wine that I tried (1.1.13), it won't even install any more. The other biggie.
8. My Brother Labeler software - also have not tried it with Wine yet.

xeddog

adamlau
January 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Yup, the Helm manuals on CD are indispensable. Ashlar-Vellum Graphite is another which refuses to run under Wine. However, both run virtualized quite well :) .

Montblanc_Kupo
January 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Adobe products and webcam / voicechat over standard (ie, ones that non-linux users use) protocols.

I play the occasional game but I could probably live without. I don't mind the dual boot... basically treat it the same as firing up the playstation... boot to windows for the game and then back to linux. hehe

.Maleficus.
January 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Though I could live without them, games keep Windows on my machine. I haven't found a good Linux alternative to EAC or AutoGK (for FLAC and Xvid, respectively) either, so if anyone has recommendations I'd gladly take them.

Onyros
January 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Though I could live without them, games keep Windows on my machine. I haven't found a good Linux alternative to EAC or AutoGK (for FLAC and Xvid, respectively) either, so if anyone has recommendations I'd gladly take them.You have good replacements for both, but I mean replacements. EAC is still the best ripper known to man, AND you can use with WINE.

I replaced it with Grip (http://nostatic.org/grip/), though. It's available in the repos, at least was until Gutsy, which was the last Ubuntu version I had installed - and it's a pacman -S grip away, too. I've ripped both to FLAC and to MP3 VBR perfectly with Grip.

As for converting to Xvid, you can either use ffmpeg - take a few minutes to read the man page and you'll be set - or for ripping straight from DVD you can use dvd::rip (http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/).

As for the Windows app I can't live without... Foobar2000, through WINE. Its convolver plugin is unbeatable, because otherwise I'd be using good ol' XMMS.

Games... the PS3 takes care of those.

.Maleficus.
January 20th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Awesome, thanks Onyros! I'm definitely intersted in dvd::rip and if EAC works in Wine I'll probably give that a go as well (before I try anything else).

uberdonkey5
January 20th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate (no easily useable linux editors work with AVCHD)

mnmus
January 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Encore music transcription software. But, since it does work under WINE, no problem. Unfortunately it takes an ENORMOUS amount of command line tweaking to get midi--including an interface with a synth-keyboard--working properly with WINE/Encore, and nearly every time there's an Ubuntu kernel update, midi's broken all over again and needs fixing via... an ENORMOUS amount of command line tweaking... So, most users of Encore probably just will NOT make the effort to use it with Ubuntu/Linux.

ProNux
January 21st, 2009, 02:35 AM
My webcam (Suyin built-in on Acer 4710 notebook) does not work in Gyachi. I heave read many threads regarding the VIDIOSPICT error but still no clear solution. SO For Yahoo! messenger, I have to switch back to Windows.

Golem XIV
January 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
Leica Photogrammetry Suite.

Yes, very specific software for a very specific market. Shame Leica Geosystems doesn't make a *nix version :-P

Cope57
January 21st, 2009, 03:23 AM
The killer Windows app I simply CAN be without in Linux, is Big Brother...

I miss nothing in Windows.:D

CrazyDesi
January 21st, 2009, 03:50 AM
Microsoft Office without a doubt. Open office is missing so many advanced features.

Dragonbite
January 21st, 2009, 03:55 AM
My webcam (Suyin built-in on Acer 4710 notebook) does not work in Gyachi. I heave read many threads regarding the VIDIOSPICT error but still no clear solution. SO For Yahoo! messenger, I have to switch back to Windows.

My webcam doesn't work in Ubuntu for aMSN, Gyachi or Cheese, but I found Gyachi and Cheese works in Fedora (10). Don't know what they do different.

x33a
January 21st, 2009, 04:28 AM
apart from games :), the only other apps i can't do without are

imgburn
mp3tag

i use mp3tag under wine and boot into windows to use imgburn (it's a real pain, though)

ProNux
January 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
My webcam doesn't work in Ubuntu for aMSN, Gyachi or Cheese, but I found Gyachi and Cheese works in Fedora (10). Don't know what they do different.

Thanks for the info. I am using Ubuntu Hardy and my camera is working on Kopete, but not on Gyachi. I searched so many threads regarding this but no avail. All I just need is a messenger with 100% compatibility to Yahoo - with webcam, voice support and file transfer.

If there's one, I will remove my Windows partition.

bash
January 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM

Have you tried running it with

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <app-name>

or in case you are on a 64-bit machine and try to run a 32-bit app (such as skype) you need:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so <app-name>

TWO
January 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
apart from games :), the only other apps i can't do without are

imgburn
mp3tag

i use mp3tag under wine and boot into windows to use imgburn (it's a real pain, though)

x33a, Have you tried kid3 (Qt) (http://kid3.sourceforge.net/) or EasyTag (Gtk)? (http://easytag.sourceforge.net/) I think that they'd meet your needs as native Linux programs, and both are available in the repositories, saving you the need to use Wine for that particular task.

As for an imgburn alternative, you could try K3B (Qt) or Gnomebaker (Gtk). I think K3B is the better of the two though.

Smeags
January 22nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Games, for the love of everything holy, games! No I'm not talking about the original Quake and such old classics...I'm talking the new stuff...Fallout 3, Call of Duty 4 & 5, etc. If I could install the newest games on Linux and play them right away without any hassle as I can do in Windows, I'd be all over Linux.

As it stands, I'm on my PC only briefly to check email and visit my normal sites, skype every now and then, listen to music on occasion, and use the occasional Office application. Beyond that though, I'm playing a game. So my problem then is that I'd love to use Linux, but when I'm on my PC mostly to play games it would suck to have to constantly reboot my system in order to do so. I might as well take care of my normal stuff quickly on Windows and then I can jump into a game very quickly afterward without having to reboot my system.

Iwilllearn2
May 30th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Games and Camfrog are apps I can't live without. I can't even get my webcam to work in linux much less camfrog :(

I love and use windows and ubuntu for different things.
An example is linux is more secure so is better for my porn, and windows does games.
I don't think I'll just be using one operating system any time soon.

Windows 7 is going to start out very buggy just like vista did, and is still going to be to insecure to put porn on without the risk of getting spyware and viruses.

My next computer is going to be a mac in a triple boot with windows 7 and the latest ubuntu, best of every world :D

Spyware/Virus free since 9/08 :D

pwnst*r
May 30th, 2009, 12:25 AM
office (for work), foobar (don't even start with the wine posts), various music applications, and duh, gaming.

bashveank
May 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Photoshop, Illustrator, Chrome, Office, iTunes, Digsby, games.

don_quixote
May 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Mission critical is Nvivo, but I run it out of VirtualBox. So far, there's nothing else that I'm missing at all; however, I'm not a gamer.

VioletsPie
May 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I've found CrossOver to be worth the money to run Office 2007, looking forward to a version that supports Adobe CS4.

CrossOver also handles other apps nicely.

Wine requires too much technical know-how about windows imo, or to have a machine with a native .dll. Although winetricks has proven to be a game changer.

The Real Dave
May 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Games mostly, Ubuntu just doesn't get the same performance from my graphics card as Windows can, and alot of my games, for copy protection reasons or something just wont work though Wine.

Also, iTunes, and DVD Shrink, luckily thought the later works through Wine.

Actually, if anyone knows an Ubuntu alternative to DVD Shrink, let me know :popcorn:

BTW, its used for ripping DVD's to Video_TS and Audio_TS folders, while removing copy protection :guitar:

stwschool
May 30th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Tbh all my preferred games except GTA4 work in wine, so games are fine, and most of my weirder apps work, all that's left is Adobe's stuff, and virtualbox is fine for that.

Waldham
June 3rd, 2009, 03:49 AM
Infranview

burvowski
June 3rd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Rome: Total War

starcannon
June 3rd, 2009, 04:37 AM
A solid Flash Editor.

nmccrina
June 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
So for me:

Digsby (duh)

Somebody might have pointed this out, but I didn't feel like wading through twenty pages to find out. So I apologize if it's redundant.

Digsby works on Linux, natively. ;)

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:55 AM
Somebody might have pointed this out, but I didn't feel like wading through twenty pages to find out. So I apologize if it's redundant.

Digsby works on Linux, natively. ;)

please share that find, because:

http://www.digsby.com/signup/maclinux/?os=linux

nmccrina
June 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
please share that find, because:

http://www.digsby.com/signup/maclinux/?os=linux

Holy ****, I need to follow links! I thought I had actually used it on Linux before, and seeing Tux on the front page convinced me that this recollection was correct. I must have been using Windows, though. :redface:

pwnst*r
June 3rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
=p

Keithhed
June 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM
fourtunately none, so completely linux.

aysiu
June 3rd, 2009, 05:19 AM
Ditto.

FuturePilot
June 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM

Ditto.

None here either.

waltkerr
June 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
Simple: Sony Vegas Pro. There is no video editor on Linux that even comes close. Those that run for 10 minutes without crashing or locking up don't have the feature set and speed of editing that Vegas has. I truly love Ubuntu but really miss my Vegas. Looking forward to the day when something like it will be available on Linux.

tjustleft
June 3rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
I miss my Bible Deluxe. Xiphos just isn't the same. Bible deluxe search is super fast while Xiphos usually hangs until I have to shut it down. It's a good try though. I'm glad they are at it.

donniezazen
June 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Yahoo Messenger and Gtalk. But now Gyache and Empathy have replaced them so i dont need windows.

Koltor
June 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
iTunes for me, but VMWare Workshop is working well so far.

LepeKaname
June 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
None for me too... (Isn't that wonderful!!???):D

daverich
June 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Reaper and Melodyne.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

pookiebear
June 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Simple: Sony Vegas Pro. There is no video editor on Linux that even comes close. Those that run for 10 minutes without crashing or locking up don't have the feature set and speed of editing that Vegas has. I truly love Ubuntu but really miss my Vegas. Looking forward to the day when something like it will be available on Linux.

Sony Vegas is a SOLID APP but expensive. I have a couple of advertising execs using it (on their windows clients) for commercial editing and it is a nice APP. It crashes some too but usually when you give it an export as and pick a weird movie format (ie crazy codec that is not polished) with crazy pixels sizes. PRice tag of vegas is crazy. But have you seen the training for it? they have classes for it in Las Vegas for about $8k for 2 weeks. WOWSERS!

0per4t0r
June 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I don't really have an app that I "simply can't be without" in Linux.
Although, since I'm getting a new iPod, I'll need to use iTunes, so probably iTunes.

Barky
June 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
all my games (besides ET:AW and Nexuiz of course), overclocking joystick usb polling frequency (more like a feature than a program), 2df, ggpo,

kuvanito
June 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Oh my GOD!

MAGICJACK and don't get me going with VMware,Please.... We are talking about Ubuntu here (linux based) and not a crossed breed rat.

MS Mappoint and the USB GPS

MS Street & Trips and the USB GPS

Delorme Street Atlas USA and the USB GPS

Turbotax

Canon Lide500F Scanner Drivers.

Those are the six reasons I will stay Windows BUT I only use the mapping softwares at work (8 hours) I am a truck driver.Turbotax only once a year,as for my main reason MAGICJACK I keep an Acer Aspire One Netbook running Windows 7 at all time with the phone connected.Who can live without a phone these days?

My Desktop is Ubuntu 100% with aMSN installed,LimeWire,Google Earth,Amarok and my Logitech Webcam works superb.

pbrane
June 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I haven't had a windows OS on my personal machines since 1998. There is nothing worth using windows for. It's gotta be the worst OS on the planet. Of course there is a large industry of anti-virus software, disk utilities, and such depending on windows continued "success".

I have to use windows at work. It is slow and clunky. I'm not thrilled with it. I have found that everything I want to do can be done on a GNU/Linux.

Software development, web surfing, IM, video/editing, music, sound/editing. With Ubuntu it all just works. And if I need something else - I'll write it.

loveandequality
June 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
iTunes is the only thing that i care about in my Apple Mac or in m$.

I recently found a way to put songs in my touch with iFuse and VLC player so im good in six months there should be an automatic way to sync the ipod for now is just drag and drop even i can do it.

There are more things that i have found out in my 7 months experience with Ubuntu Linux is kdenlive fo movie editing and many more apps Jokosher for music making, trasmission for torrents and pidgin for messaging:popcorn:.

loveandequality
June 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM
There are more things that i have found out in my 7 months experience with Ubuntu Linux is kdenlive fo movie editing wich is good.

tarvinder
June 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Media Monkey. I need media monkey to manage my large music collection. Therefore, i have to boot windows occasionally whenever I add new music to my collection. However, I play the music in Amarok in Ubuntu. I have found alternative applications in Ubuntu for my other windows ex-favorites.

cph05a
June 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I used to miss iTunes, but Songbird just keeps getting better. The only thing I like better about iTunes is that they separate Video files from Audio files, but other than that, I actually prefer Songbird, now.

My iPod works just fine with Songbird.

H2SO_four
June 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Conflicker ;)

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I used to miss iTunes, but Songbird just keeps getting better. The only thing I like better about iTunes is that they separate Video files from Audio files, but other than that, I actually prefer Songbird, now.

My iPod works just fine with Songbird.

unless i'm unaware, how do you update your firmware?

LinuxBob
June 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
SlingPlayer!

It doesn;t work in 9.04 despite having been set up in Fiesty

Kobin
July 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Itunes, only because of the itunes store.

TomR55
July 7th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Cubase, including all of the Native Instruments, GMedia, etc., VSTi's ... oh, and the mastering plug-ins.

It's not that I haven't tried the Linux equivalents. I have, with mixed success.

Absent the profit motive, I cannot see high-quality music production software coming to the Linux world in the near future, which is too bad on more than one level. I'd actually prefer "open" applications, but the world is as we find it, isn't it?

TomR

armandh
July 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Quickbooks [with payroll]

sixdrift
July 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I used to answer "World of Warcraft", but lately I have been running WoW in Linux regularly. Now if only opengl had hardware cursor support, I would never be booting Windows again.

zorrek
July 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Any HD media player. BluRay movies rock, but HD support under linux is dreadful.
Also ultracvnc-sc, sc lets my ******* clients download a tiny (233k) file that then gives me a shared remote desktop session.

Mind you I run ******* under VMware on Linux, I have 4 virtual ******* boxes running on my 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04.2 AMD quadcore 9750 with 8Gig RAM and DUAL DVI 22" LCD monitors in twin view format.
I have 6 virtual desktops on gnome with Compiz. Compiz RULES and makes Vista look exactly like what it is .... complete cr*p.
Of the 12 PC's I use at home only 1 has hardware dedicated to *******.

PurposeOfReason
July 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Any HD media player. BluRay movies rock, but HD support under linux is dreadful.
Also ultracvnc-sc, sc lets my ******* clients download a tiny (233k) file that then gives me a shared remote desktop session.

Mind you I run ******* under VMware on Linux, I have 4 virtual ******* boxes running on my 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04.2 AMD quadcore 9750 with 8Gig RAM and DUAL DVI 22" LCD monitors in twin view format.
I have 6 virtual desktops on gnome with Compiz. Compiz RULES and makes Vista look exactly like what it is .... complete cr*p.
Of the 12 PC's I use at home only 1 has hardware dedicated to *******.
I have no problem playing back any of my HD files. :/

Nevon
July 11th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Photoshop, definitely. I don't have super high standards when it comes to vector work, so there Inkscape is fine for me. But when it comes to rasterized stuff, GIMP just doesn't cut it for me. However, when I'm just cropping photos and doing some minor touching up - it's fine.

Also, Microsoft Office 2007. I can't stand Open Office, and it just seems like MS Office 2007 is lightyears ahead of OO.org.

rjdsmith
July 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM
OneNote 2007 and of course Winamp :'(

But I agree, Digsby is a Freakin Amazing Program!!!

GemiPiggy
July 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Sougou pinyin -,-

a chinese input method.

kixome
July 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM
magicjack!, other than that i'm linux all the way

kixome
July 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
All those who keep saying Itunes, why not just use virtualbox>xp>then enable your usb>Itunes?

zorrek
July 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have no problem playing back any of my HD files. :/

A HD avi is not a BlueRay Disc. Where do these people come from !

I got a 42.2 gig iso file here I know you can't play under Linux !

Have a read of this... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

and I quote "It's possible (although a little cumbersome) to play HD DVD and Blu-Ray films under Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. Audio in some films may not yet be supported. "

That does not read like a solution for Linux. I dislike ******* greatly but, when you can rip the latest BluRay disc under ******* by simply clicking an icon and selecting "Rip to Image File", Linux has a long way to go. Of course the iso file created can be played with PowerDVD under ******* like it was an actual disc.

I'm hangin out for the Linux equiv ! !

infestor
July 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
read my lips: games (probably mentioned well enough before)

also from time to time because of my university i need to deal with nx and labview. there is actually a guy who claims to have nx got working on 64bit ubuntu.

Pasdar
July 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Gimme a fully functioning Office, 100% compatible with MS equivalent documents and I'll never load Windows in virtual environment ever again.

PurposeOfReason
July 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM
A HD avi is not a BlueRay Disc. Where do these people come from !

I got a 42.2 gig iso file here I know you can't play under Linux !

Have a read of this... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

and I quote "It's possible (although a little cumbersome) to play HD DVD and Blu-Ray films under Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. Audio in some films may not yet be supported. "

That does not read like a solution for Linux. I dislike ******* greatly but, when you can rip the latest BluRay disc under ******* by simply clicking an icon and selecting "Rip to Image File", Linux has a long way to go. Of course the iso file created can be played with PowerDVD under ******* like it was an actual disc.

I'm hangin out for the Linux equiv ! !
I don't have a single avi, thanks for assuming. I play hd files just fine, like I said.

gripper
July 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Picasa for Windows.
Sure Picasa for Linux works OK (still uses wine I believe), except for the fact that you can't organize and watch Quicktime videos in it like you can in the Windows version, major bummer!
F-Spot doesn't hold a candle to it.
Also, I can't get PocketMod to print in a Linux environment. I use a PocketMod every day.

CJ Master
July 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Gimme a fully functioning Office, 100% compatible with MS equivalent documents and I'll never load Windows in virtual environment ever again.

CodeWeaver's Crossover?

zorrek
July 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I don't have a single avi, thanks for assuming. I play hd files just fine, like I said.

No assumption fool, avi is just a container not a format unto itself, I used it as an example as one of the most popular containers for PC video files. So that said lets get to it what do you use to play your 1080p .m2ts
files. Let me guess nothing! If it's not an m2ts file then it's already been reprocessed and does not count in this conversation. Of course ANYONE can play any file that's been reprocessed, all you need is the corresponding codec! That's not what this conversation is about and proves what everyone knows, your first response to my original post in this thread was clueless babble!
I want to hear from someone who can put a Bluray disc in their Linux box and press play!
For the time being, unfortunately, the silence will deafen us!

And remember HD-DVD lost, Bluray is the only HD format out there.

zorrek
July 12th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Just a quick note. I don't know about other countries but here at least the retailers really enjoy trying to confuse the consumer eg

Full HD what they mean is HD 1,920x1,080
HD what they mean is Medium Definition 1,280x720
SD Standard Definition what they means is Low 852x576(480 for NTSC)

720p/i is not HD it's MD it is marketed as HD so those who can't justify $2000 on a TV will spend $1000 instead and still feel happy about their purchase as it has a sticker that says HD on it. Sticking an MD sticker on it and hence clearly marking it inferior to HD would mean selling less MD units.

Sorry if it's a little off topic, I still want a Bluray player for Linux !

Oh and yes ever since TV was invented, Australia, England and all other PAL TV countries have been watching higher quality TV and VHS compared to NTSC
96 more scan lines, on an old 34cm TV that was about 3cm's more resolution not to mention the superior colour saturation.

starcannon
July 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I don't have a killer Windows app. I cut the cord several years ago; that said, I do still keep a partition around for various purposes, but if the Windows partition were to take a nose dive tomorrow, it'd likely be months before I ever realized it, and months more before I did anything about it.

PurposeOfReason
July 12th, 2009, 12:46 AM
zorrek HD-DVD is still an HD format whether it won or lost. All that means is whether or not it became "the standard" or not. Can I pop in a bluray disk and press play? No because my main computer does not have a bluray drive. I get your point, there is no way to play a disk. However, ripping as an mkv gets you as good of results as any. If you are anal enough to think the difference between that and a disk is noticable I'd like to know how you make it so long in the av world.

zorrek
July 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
How long from the time the disc gets in your house until you can play the movie.
I thought so, by the time you're ready to play it, I've watched it.

I hate Windows but I hate DRM even more. So my media centre runs *******7 so 60 seconds after I enter my house I can start watching.

My Optical Drive is a combo DVD-Writer Bluray/HD-DVD player cost $115AU 6 months ago. HD-DVD or Bluray makes no diff to my argument. It's easy to see who the nit picking anal personality is. LMAO.

Again a processed file can be played by anyone. I'd like to make and sell Linux Media Centres but I can't cause everyone wants HD, that means Bluray playback and Linux can't do it in a point and click way to satisfy the masses!

The really stupid part is there are less mouse clicks under ******* to rip a Bluray then there is to watch one. One right click one left and wait about an hour. To play requires at least one extra click.

Side Note:
The problem is not Linux it's the DRM, even under ******* it's an issue.
If you bought PowerDVD-HD for your ******* box 3 months ago so you can play HD discs and you have not updated it since then, there are Movies you can not play. Unless you update or buy a third party application.
Another side Note:
I was hoping HD-DVD would win for several reasons not least of which was manufacturing costs. HD-DVD's could be made in the same factory that DVD's are made in with some re-tooling. Bluray requires all new machinery and hence they cost more to make. HD-DVD had better interactivity, so I'm told, I've never seen a HD-DVD, the argument was virtually lost by the time HD became affordable here. Ok Blueray holds 20gig more info than HD-DVD but that is it's only claim to fame over HD-DVD. I can play both on the same drive so it's really a dead argument for me. I own over 3500 DVD's, yes discs in cases, but I will never own a Bluray while ever this stupid DRM issue exists. I can rent them for $2.20 just up the street.

markharding557
July 12th, 2009, 12:38 PM
proxomitron

you will be pleased to know proxomitron works perfectly on wine

markharding557
July 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
my daughter can't be without sims

zorrek
July 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Off topic food for thought.
A 1 terrabyte hard drive costs $125AU the lowest cost Bluray disc I've seen is $35.
If every movie was close to a 50Gig rip you could fit 20 of them on a 1TB drive. Ok lets say 19 to be safe
$2.20 each to rent: $2.20 x 19 = $41.80 + $125 drive = $166.80

$35 x 19 = $665

Yes it would be illegal ! in most countries.

ssdt
September 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
OneNote 2007 and of course Winamp :'(

But I agree, Digsby is a Freakin Amazing Program!!!

It is totally.

sdlynx
September 25th, 2009, 11:26 PM
iTunes here; Rhythmbox works fine but it messes with the album art on my iPod and completely messes up that part... so I stick with iTunes.