PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] no minimize maximize or close icons in upper right

johnnyhop
May 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
There are other problems too. The fresh install of kubuntu 8.04 gave me no icons in upper right corner to close, minimize or maximize, am unable to move the open field by moving the mouse pointer over the title bar. Actually there is no title bar. Can't resize open window by dragging boarder. Pointer must be on some open fields like login and terminal to input text.

Oldsoldier2003
May 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
There are other problems too. The fresh install of kubuntu 8.04 gave me no icons in upper right corner to close, minimize or maximize, am unable to move the open field by moving the mouse pointer over the title bar. Actually there is no title bar. Can't resize open window by dragging boarder. Pointer must be on some open fields like login and terminal to input text.

sudo metacity --replace should sort you out.

GeneralZod
May 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
sudo metacity --replace should sort you out.

a) Metacity is unlikely to be present on a fresh install of Kubuntu ;)

b) A window manager should not be run as root.

kwin --replace

would be a better choice.

johnnyhop
May 5th, 2008, 11:27 PM
GZ, FYI it was necessary to sudo to make the fix permanent. The command without sudo kept the problem corrected as long as the terminal was kept open. That shell in the terminal wouldn't return to the home prompt or execute commands. Opening a new shell would show the home prompt and run commands but as soon as the terminal was closed the gui problem would return.

Oldsoldier2003
May 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
a) Metacity is unlikely to be present on a fresh install of Kubuntu ;)

b) A window manager should not be run as root.

kwin --replace

would be a better choice.

oops i had a gnome moment, but yes you must sudo when you replace the window manager or it doesn't work

UpsideDownFace
May 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM
My laptop suddenly lost these icons - after working correctly for 5 years.
I think I accidentally deleted the "Applications Places System" from the Gnome title bar, and lost the window title bar as well.

sudo metacity --replace :- worked OK for me,
but sudo kwin --replace :- didn't work

so I tried
sudo which kwin
sudo which metacity

and got back
/usr/bin/metacity

so -always try :- which command
to see if you have it installed

Xiong Chiamiov
May 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Well, kwin --replace wouldn't work for you, since you're using GNOME, not KDE.

arizonagroovejet
May 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM
GZ, FYI it was necessary to sudo to make the fix permanent. The command without sudo kept the problem corrected as long as the terminal was kept open. That shell in the terminal wouldn't return to the home prompt or execute commands. Opening a new shell would show the home prompt and run commands but as soon as the terminal was closed the gui problem would return.

Try putt '&disown' at the end of the command. & puts it in to the background so you get the prompt back. disown means you can close the terminal without killing the process. I.e.

kwin --replace & disown

omshivaprakash
December 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Permanent fix for this issue is here:

1) Get into ~/.kde/env
2) and edit the file kdewm.sh
3) You find the following line

KDEWM=compizmanager

4) Remove compizmanager from it and save the file

5) Logout and login back

You should be good with it.

johnnyhop
December 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM
This hasn't been an issue with my Kubuntu desktop since upgrading to Intrepid.