PDA

View Full Version : This is really funny

poofyhairguy
October 18th, 2005, 05:49 AM
I'm glad I found this. I needed a good laugh about Ubuntu. You read one testimonial after another on the forum and its nice to have some comic relief.

http://henrytheadequate.blogspot.com/2005/10/henry-and-his-computer.html

matthew
October 18th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Enjoyed that. Thanks, Poof!

Goober
October 18th, 2005, 06:18 AM
LOL, that is funny, thanks for sharing. Gotta read some more Henry Adventures now . . .

Lovechild
October 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Again spreading the false impression that Linux is indeed not suceptable to vira - I wish people would stop doing that, no system is secure today, the standard is simply to low - Linux doesn't have proper security builtin, it's slightly better than Windows but it's not a good meassuring stick at any rate.

The fact that the opposition has a crap track record when it comes to security doesn't make us good, Linux has horrible security by default and worse there's really no fix for it. We haven't even hardened Ubuntu up just a little bit, hell your Ubuntu system runs default without a firewall, which even given the fact that the default setup doesn't open any ports should really be setup just as a precaution.

shipping security updates really isn't enough, we need to be as secure by default as possible (without hindering the user of course - a careful balance, as soon as security gets in the users way he will workaround it, or so the story goes). There are tons of technology we can deploy to enjoy a safer tomorrow so why don't we start now, it's the 18th, Dapper opens today - make Dapper safer.

matthew
October 18th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Again spreading the false impression that Linux is indeed not suceptable to vira -
I understand your frustration, but really. This was humor. The truly paranoid should be running OpenBSD right now anyway, right?

Lovechild
October 18th, 2005, 06:35 AM
I understand your frustration, but really. This was humor. The truly paranoid should be running OpenBSD right now anyway, right?

Actually some of the stuff OpenBSD does in the name of security makes no sense to me, like rewriting the ntp daemon - I'm unaware of any exploit to the current system, and they have yet to implement the precision algoritms that regular ntp has, what they did could be done using some very simple commands and what they gained in security was basically nothing.

Generally they have the right idea though, I still think RedHat is doing more interesting work in the security area currently though - such as compartmentalising the desktop using SELinux and there has been talk on the open graphics mailinglist of some very interesting X+SELinux combinations. Most of all RedHat understands that you must balance security with usability, if it gets in the way, users will simply workaround it or disable it. So the quest is how do we get the most secure system without getting in the users way.. tricky question.