PDA

View Full Version : [other] VirtualBox 1.6

Comhra
May 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Did anyone try to install VirtualBox? The Mac OS X version is out of Beta now and I wanted to try it on my Macbook, Duo Core Intel, Tiger.

It didn't install, I think there's something wrong with the dmg.

Downloaded from the Sun Java site, both VirtualBox and Version Tracker linked to there.

Neither dmg worked as advertised though i followed the instructions in the Manual.

Did anyone succeed in installing it?

I'd like to try one or two of the small Distros notably Puppy.

Incidentally, the Beta worked beautifully on my Mac while it was buggy as hell in Gutsy.

cyberdork33
May 5th, 2008, 02:49 AM
seems to work ok for me.

Incense
May 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I had some strange extension at the end of the file I downloaded (BIZ or something). I simply renamed the file, axed the letters after DMG in the file name and told OSX that the file was a DMG. It mounted just fine as a disc image at that point.

Comhra
May 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I had some strange extension at the end of the file I downloaded (BIZ or something). I simply renamed the file, axed the letters after DMG in the file name and told OSX that the file was a DMG. It mounted just fine as a disc image at that point.

What you describe is what happened to me. I'll have to try renaming it. Thaanks for the tip.

Comhra
May 7th, 2008, 08:28 AM
In case anyone runs else into the weird extension problem with VirtualBox, the workabout suggested by Incense works a treat. Just remove the .bz2 extension from the end of the dmg and you'll be able to mount the image then.