PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How i can fully charge my battery ?

kikapu
May 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hi,

i have a Thinkpad T61 and i run Hardy. i am using kpowersave and i observed that my battery is chrarged until 93% and not more. This is indeed a good thing and will keep my battery on shape for more time (overaly) but there are times that i want to get *all* available power from it so i want it to be fully (100%) charged.

Is there a way to accomplish this ? To get the battery charged at it's full 100 % ??

Thanks for any help.

pofigster
May 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
The operating system doesn't control the charging of the battery so it could be that your battery is jacked up or it could mean that Ubuntu isn't properly detecting the level of the charge.

tamoneya
May 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM
it is probably because the battery is not BRAND new. This is probably 93% of the maximum that the battery had when it was new. This is what I have noticed on my computer at least but I don't use kpowersave so I can't confirm that this is the case.

kikapu
May 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I do not think that the problem is with my battery. I had Windows Vista until a week before and i could charge it to 100% if i wanted to. The computer is 6 months old so no, the problem is not with my battery.

danne123
May 4th, 2008, 11:24 PM
It can still be the battery. If you charge/uncharge your battery often the lifetime will decrease incredibly fast.

kikapu
May 4th, 2008, 11:31 PM
It can still be the battery. If you charge/uncharge your battery often the lifetime will decrease incredibly fast.

I now, but last week in Vista could be charged to 100%. I have done no more than 20 charges/full charges in 6 months. It cannot be that changed in 7 days...
It's not the battery. I looked carefully at kpowersave but it does not have a setting that controls the charge level and i think that kpowersave is a GUI wrapper of OS settings.

So ??

pofigster
May 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Your OS doesn't control battery charge settings. The only thing your OS does is look at the voltage output changes to determine approximately what percentage of your battery life is left. Your battery will always try and charge to 100% just like any rechargeable battery would. So, it's likely that kpowersave is detecting your 100% as 93% - not a big deal.

And it's true, 6 months, unless the battery is trash, wouldn't have affected it's maximum charge.