PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System76 Driver Installation

Bllz
May 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I did a few searches, but couldn't find an answer for this. I feel like I get easily confused in forums, so if this question was already addressed I apologize :)

Anyway,
I'm doing a fresh installation of Ubuntu Hardy (I'm not thrilled with x64 and I want to change the basic partitioning) and I was wondering if the system76 drivers were a) available in x32, b) if the installation utility could be downloaded and installed by end users.

Thanks very much in advance.
Tom: I'm loving the Serval!

--Louis

dtrask
May 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
As far as I know the System76 drivers will be installed accoring to your architecture. If you have 64 bit you'll get the appropriate drivers...as well as if you have 32 bit. I used to run 32 bit Gutsy, but upgraded to 64 bit Hardy....the drives worked fine in both cases. Hope that helps!

Bllz
May 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
As far as I know the System76 drivers will be installed accoring to your architecture. If you have 64 bit you'll get the appropriate drivers...as well as if you have 32 bit. I used to run 32 bit Gutsy, but upgraded to 64 bit Hardy....the drives worked fine in both cases. Hope that helps!

This certainly does help, thank you!

Allow me to rephrase my question, though as I'm a bit confused by your answer. Where do I get a hold of the System76 driver installer if I'm installing "regular" Ubuntu Hardy (as opposed to the one provided System76 on a new computer)?

ctsdownloads
May 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM
This certainly does help, thank you!

Allow me to rephrase my question, though as I'm a bit confused by your answer. Where do I get a hold of the System76 driver installer if I'm installing "regular" Ubuntu Hardy (as opposed to the one provided System76 on a new computer)?

Here is the download location with complete directions. Will this work with 32 bit? Possibly, but I have not tested it as I have failed to see any reason to try it myself just yet.

Directions:
http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Restoring_Your_System

Download:
http://planet76.com/repositories/system76-driver-2.2.0.deb

Bllz
May 5th, 2008, 05:23 AM
SUCCESS!

Thanks everybody!

laserline
May 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hi,

Quick question.

After System76 rolls out a driver update to the repos, do I need to start the System76 application and do something or is the system automatically updated by apt using the package's installation script ??

If something is to be done by the user, please post the required steps after the driver has been updated by apt.

Thanks,
Idan.

MorphWVUtuba
May 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hi,

Quick question.

After System76 rolls out a driver update to the repos, do I need to start the System76 application and do something or is the system automatically updated by apt using the package's installation script ??

If something is to be done by the user, please post the required steps after the driver has been updated by apt.

Thanks,
Idan.

My understanding is that the installer is updated automatically by apt, but you need to run the installer in order to apply the driver updates to your system.