PDA

View Full Version : I want a HP Laptop -- suggestions

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have used Ubuntu on several HP Desktops since Dapper. Out-of-the-box installation has only gotten better with each new release. Now I'm wanting a HP Laptop. Are there any HP Laptops I should avoid?

Erunno
May 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
How much do you intend to spend?

TBOL3
May 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
As far as I know, no not really.

What are you going to do with it though?

cardinals_fan
May 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I don't like HP. Have you checked out Lenovo lately?

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
How much do you intend to spend?

Since I asking what HP Laptops to avoid buying, I'm not sure what the cost has to do with it; however, less than 2,000 US$.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM
What are you going to do with it though?

I will do everything I need to do with a computer - just like with my desktops running Ubuntu.

Kingsley
May 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Since I asking what HP Laptops to avoid buying, I'm not sure what the cost has to do with it; however, less than 2,000 US$.
Definitely go with one of the laptops from the dv series, dv6000 or dv9000. They have good specs for the asking price and are usually compatible with Linux.

I would also advise you to get one that has an Intel processor.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I would also advise you to get one that has an Intel processor.

Thank you, I seem to remember reading that there were problems getting Linux working with their AMD processor models. Is that what you are referring to?

SomeGuyDude
May 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
My dv6000 has been golden for pretty much every Ubuntu variant and every Linux distro I've thrown at it outside of Sabayon. As long as you've got the Intel chip and graphics card I'd say you're fine.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I don't like HP. Have you checked out Lenovo lately?

I just checked their website again. I'm still wanting a HP. :-)

h4mx0r
May 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Hp laptops suck badly. I hate how their generic looking cases reflect the screen. They heat up too much. Their repair service if you go for that sort of thing is horrible they butchered my dv9000t laptop. Weren't they slashdotted twice before for doing crazy crap to their employees and customers involving private stalkers? Hp recently acquired compaq too and screwed that up. One of my laptops from compaq was purchased with some bogus bios updates that killed the motherboard completely after random system lock ups. Yes! they sold it like that! total suckage out of the box motherboard overkill.

Oh read your post yeah I don't buy crap from amd until they kill ati the cheap jerks of a graphics card company. Their itx boards are another case though very efficient.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM
My dv6000 has been golden for pretty much every Ubuntu variant and every Linux distro I've thrown at it outside of Sabayon. As long as you've got the Intel chip and graphics card I'd say you're fine.

In my Microsoft Windows days, I would upgrade to a new computer in order to run the new OS. I handed down the old computers to members of my Wife's family. They were all HP Desktops. They are still working. Some of them are very old. When I got cataracts, I stopped driving to their homes to fix them when they got infected with malware. I made them bring them to me. I eventually decided that if they couldn't keep them clean, and they were my hand-me-down computers anyway, I'd install the Alternate Ubuntu distro on them. Life has been much nicer since then.

The point is, the HP computers I've bought recently may very well out live me, especially with Linux on them. :guitar:

I just wanted to make sure my next purchase of a HP Laptop was Linux compatible.:)

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hp laptops suck badly. I hate how their generic looking cases reflect the screen. They heat up too much. Their repair service if you go for that sort of thing is horrible they butchered my dv9000t laptop. Weren't they slashdotted twice before for doing crazy crap to their employees and customers involving private stalkers? Hp recently acquired compaq too and screwed that up. One of my laptops from compaq was purchased with some bogus bios updates that killed the motherboard completely after random system lock ups. Yes! they sold it like that! total suckage out of the box motherboard overkill.

Oh read your post yeah I don't buy crap from amd until they kill ati the cheap jerks of a graphics card company. Their itx boards are another case though very efficient.

:confused:

Never mind, I'll keep it to myself.:lolflag:

Iandefor
May 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I have used Ubuntu on several HP Desktops since Dapper. Out-of-the-box installation has only gotten better with each new release. Now I'm wanting a HP Laptop. Are there any HP Laptops I should avoid?If it's out-of-the-box Linux experience you want, why don't you go with some company like Zareason or System76? I've known a few people with HP laptops and they've almost invariably regretted buying from HP. Their build quality is known to be less-than-stellar.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
If it's out-of-the-box Linux experience you want, why don't you go with some company like Zareason or System76?

Thanks, I like what they offer. I'll consider them.

Both of my daughters have HP laptops. I helped set up Vista on them. They are good machines -- except for the Vista.

revidnus
May 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM
My advice is don't buy an HP Laptop....I haven't had nothing but trouble with mine........and pre loaded Vista! BUY A MAC. I bought an HP in December and the Wife bought a Mac. She hasn't had any problems and I have had nothing but problems with this thing. I have two desktops running linux and have no problems with them at all.
I have a hp dv9000 with nvidia geforce 7150m graphics card and I couldn't get linux fiesty to install on it. I haven't tried gutsy yet. It's just a matter of time though. If and when i do install it im getting rid of microsoft and vista.
Philip

Brandel Valico
May 7th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I have an older HP nc6000 compaq running Hardy and before it Gutsy briefly. Both builds ran like a dream and still do minus the hibernate function in both and the Suspend function in Gutsy. Other then those two issues Everything worked right out of the box for me.

madjr
May 7th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Most HP laptops suck really.

i bought one with a geforce go and i couldn't install gutsy on it. It wouldn't even boot of the live-CD.

and when i tried to install Windows XP (for some games) they didn't had the drivers, so almost nothing worked.

sadly i had to sell it since i was not going to stay with Vista.

I now got a Dell :)

Dell ubuntu, zareason or system76 are the ones who need our support

Don't waste money on HP till they really support linux.

for HP i only buy their printers simply because they got good linux drivers.

FuturePilot
May 7th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I have a dv6500t and it works great.

coldswede
May 7th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I have an old Hp laptop I've used for years, it has been utterly reliable! it dual boots Ubuntu and Xp fine. It also has an AMD processor so that is not really a bad thing. If I ever feel the need to buy another full featured Laptop HP will get first consideration

SirThom
May 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Do NOT get a tx1000 series. The thing gets bloody hot. I have to prop it up with a large fan (one of those heaters for a small room with the heat turned off) at it, and the core's usually dwindle in the 60s (centigrade) and the nvidia chip in the 80s. It's not uncommon for the core's to hit 100. Sometimes the keyboard is almost too hot to comfortably touch.

illusionweaver
May 7th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I've got a dv9000 and it runs Ubuntu like a dream right out of the box and it has very good stats for the price.

jbonll05
May 8th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Avoid Broadcom wireless. HP uses several.Otherwise I have had good success with HP products and Ubuntu since 2005.

TBOL3
May 8th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Well, I can recommend my dv6626, except for the soundcard, which can't record properly (it has the same problem in both windows and linux). But other then that, it's awesome. Also somewhere around $800, +/- $200, depending on where you buy it.

SirThom
May 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Avoid Broadcom wireless. HP uses several.Otherwise I have had good success with HP products and Ubuntu since 2005.

Broadcom is working pretty well under ubuntu now I think. I have it.

mips
May 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
If you want a HP laptop then stick to their business range of laptops and not the consumer range.

For that budget I would rather get a Thinkpad though.

PmDematagoda
May 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I recently got a Compaq Presario V3000 and works really well with Linux, and it's wireless is Intel from what I know so it works as well, the only problem I've faced with it is the low amount of RAM(it has 512 but not enough for me) so all you may have to do to get it running Linux flawlessly is to add another 512Mb of RAM.

The_Major
May 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I will second the post about the DV9000 series, I have a DV9702 and have just added a second hard drive, Im now quad booting with Vista, Arch Linux, Arch Linux 64bit and Hardy. Works great, even the hdmi out!! Im going to try opensolaris next!

frrobert
May 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Surfing the forums one thing I have noticed is people having problems getting support and warranty work done for hardware issues if they admit running Linux. Hopefully with the release of the mini-note this may change.

You may want to verify with HP that loading Linux will not void the warranty.

The_Major
May 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Get a second hard drive and they need never know ;)

cespinal
May 11th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I got my first lappy a month ago... its a 1200$ hp pavilion dv9000 with dual amd processors... and Im just loving it...with ubuntu? it just the classing problems...wireless, hibernate and microphone issues.. but almost everuthing can get resolved in a couple of hours.. to me it has been pure pleasure.. I find it great to get thinks working after tweaking...

I would recommend an HP is ou are willing to spend a day or two tweaking out your system