PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to Hardy Problem, boot partition?

sanford55
May 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Hi. I have two computers dual booting between XP and Gutsy. I upgraded easily from Gutsy to Hardy on one computer and then ran into something I do not understand when I tried to upgrade the second -- I am new to Ubuntu so it is lack of knowledge rather than a glitch. The problem is with a Dell Pent 4 2.80GHz with 760 of Ram and 8.4 GB available space. When I tried to upgrade, I got an error message: "Not enough free disk space. Needs. 21M on disk /boot". Using the cf command, I discovered that on this computer (but not on the one that upgraded easily) I have a /boot partition with only 11090 available space. It is /dev/Sda2. Sda1 has 6314456 available and Sda3 has 8812124 available. I do not know why I ended with such a boot partition on this computer and not on the other since I originally installed Gutsy on both in the same way. I do not know anything about this, but I assume that I have to get stuff out of this boot partition. Unfortunately, I do not know how to work with partitions, how to get into this partitian, or, once in, what to take out. Or am I totally off track? Advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance. Sanford

fixitdude
May 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
http://partedmagic.com

Parted Magic is a great FREE program with GUI and a boot CD so you can stretch and resize partitions, even NT partitions!

You may be able to use it to make that boot partition bigger.