PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 100 % CPU power

newkidintown
May 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Can anybody help?
Put together a new machine including Intel Core 2 Duo, Sapphire Radeon 7000 64 MB DDR an installed Ubunt 8.04.

The problem is that when I open windows or scroll WEB pages both CPU's utilize up to 100%! and slow down the whole computer.
Screen resolution is by the way perfect.

I tried to follow some How2s related to loading ATI drivers but where noe able to complete, resolution went down and processor use where about the same.

Any suggestion (please detailed as I'm totally newbe on Ubuntu.
Thanks!

overdrank
May 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Can anybody help?
Put together a new machine including Intel Core 2 Duo, Sapphire Radeon 7000 64 MB DDR an installed Ubunt 8.04.

The problem is that when I open windows or scroll WEB pages both CPU's utilize up to 100%! and slow down the whole computer.
Screen resolution is by the way perfect.

I tried to follow some How2s related to loading ATI drivers but where noe able to complete, resolution went down and processor use where about the same.

Any suggestion (please detailed as I'm totally newbe on Ubuntu.
Thanks!

Hi and there has been issues with the ati and hardy and you may find some help here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764633

newkidintown
May 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
OK,
But I'm not able to get anything out from this. It seems like the manufacturer doesn't support Linux, neither Vista for my card. Hard then to get a proprietary driver!

I also noticefrom other threads that some people also get various problem with ATI cards upgrading to 8.04. Can we expect some kind of fix?

Can there be another explanation than a missing driver that the video card use a lot of CPU power?

If not I will maybe try a different card? Any suggestion what type that will for sure cause no problem in 8.04?