PDA

View Full Version : [other] looking to buy a laptop

T2manner
May 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
i'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but oh well.
i'm going to try to save my money up this summer and buy a laptop, but i don't want a very exspensive one since i'm only 14 and don't have a "real" job, so i won't be able to get alot of money in a few months.
but anything less than 500 or around there should be good.
preferrably in the 400's

with this said, what would be a good laptop to get?

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I am not sure what you could find. A base system 76 (with ubuntu installed) should be around there, and still a decent machine. Otherwise you can try craigslist for someone selling one.

http://system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

overdrank
May 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
i'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but oh well.
i'm going to try to save my money up this summer and buy a laptop, but i don't want a very exspensive one since i'm only 14 and don't have a "real" job, so i won't be able to get alot of money in a few months.
but anything less than 500 or around there should be good.
preferrably in the 400's

with this said, what would be a good laptop to get?

Also Acer laptops are a good idea, I have been pleased with mine.

T2manner
May 5th, 2008, 01:44 AM
is AMD good?
i know it's new and a competitor of intel, but my dad said it's rubbish.
is it worth buying?

chrisby
May 5th, 2008, 03:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=778268

I agree with the Acer comment. I just picked this one up for 450, and it runs great.

TheMemphisExperience
May 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM
AMD is not as good as Intel right now as far as top end stuff goes, so I read. But unless you are a true power user, it shouldn't matter. Beware, the economy is being worse to AMD than it is to Intel.

I've got an Acer Aspire 5920 with an Ubuntu dual boot I set up that I am satisfied with. Sadly, when I try to play certain games by Kenta Cho, the damn thing crashes. The Vista partition runs the smashingly, though.

You may try an older Dell. My older Dell Optiplex 260 (tower beasty), which seems to actually like Linux Ubuntu better than my newer laptop, is very stable and behaves itself very well. The laptops problems are the Kenta Cho Issue and I must reload emerald at every login.