PDA

View Full Version : I found only ONE good thing about Microsoft!

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
They make a damn nice keyboard set that works great with Kubuntu. I love my MS wireless entertainment keyboard 8000, with wireless laser mouse 8000. Welp.... that's just about all that's worth talking about. =D>

starcannon
May 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
They make a damn nice keyboard set that works great with Kubuntu. I love my MS wireless entertainment keyboard 8000, with wireless laser mouse 8000. Welp.... that's just about all that's worth talking about. =D>

Lol, don't forget to thank Logitech, I think MS just re-brands their stuff.

k33bz
May 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM

:lolflag:

that was funny as hell

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
MS Office 2007 is great too.

indiana_crook
May 4th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Yes, but open office is just as great...

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
This keyboard isn't rebranded Logitech. Logitech wishes IN THEIR DREAMS!. Just like Michael Bolton wishes he was the BliZZarD of OZ!

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=080

:guitar:

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Don't get me started! MS is the spawn of Bill, the Demon.

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Feels like we're in another of those "Mine is bigger than yours" discussions :guitar:

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Feels like we're in another of those "Mine is bigger than yours" discussions :guitar:

Has nothing to do with size..... but with strenght. Information is the power.

kansasnoob
May 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I find it pointless to use the forum to run down Microsoft. Many of their recent attempts to stop piracy have POed enough legal end-users that we hardly need even attempt to do so.

If their anti-piracy efforts haven't POed us enough, both Vista Basic and even Premium should! (I can't comment on Ultimate because I lack the funds to build an Ultimate system)

Since discovering Ubuntu a few months ago, via gOS and Freespire, I simply fell in love with it! My daughter loves Kubuntu and my oldest son finds Xubuntu to best serve his needs.

Out of 13 installations (all dual boots) I've had only one person say they just wanted to get rid of it! And they wanted Win ME back! I gave them what they wanted!

No system is going to make everyone happy. Each to their own. Ubuntu is definitely headed in the right direction! And I say that after having tried "Lindows" about 5 years ago.

I just think the Forum should stay positive. Occasionally someone is just going to hate Ubuntu ........... that's OK!

MongooseCage
May 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Man... I hate to disagree but Microsoft Office is definetly better. It pisses me off that Macs get it and we dont. Macs and Windows keep on sharing their software but we get none of that, we have to emulate their stuff. I feel its great that linux gives off their great software on to different ports such as pidgin,the whole mozilla, open office, wireshark, etc. I know that ubuntu is supposed to be entirely composed of free software but Microsoft isnt composed entirely of closed software.

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I find it pointless to use the forum to run down Microsoft. Many of their recent attempts to stop piracy have POed enough legal end-users that we hardly need even attempt to do so.

If their anti-piracy efforts haven't POed us enough, both Vista Basic and even Premium should! (I can't comment on Ultimate because I lack the funds to build an Ultimate system)

I was using the Demon's Ultimate mess. And he swallowed me whole.

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Man... I hate to disagree but Microsoft Office is definetly better. It pisses me off that Macs get it and we dont. Macs and Windows keep on sharing their software but we get none of that, we have to emulate their stuff. I feel its great that linux gives off their great software on to different ports such as pidgin,the whole mozilla, open office, wireshark, etc. I know that ubuntu is supposed to be entirely composed of free software but Microsoft isnt composed entirely of closed software.

Try Google App's. They work just as well. Looks to be that Google as we speak is about to bite off a piece of the Demon's rear. Bill the Demon promised from the beginning that they would never be like IBM. Welp... they are now, and he lied. Shout at the Demon! Oh and about the interchange with MS, and Apple..... The Demon Bill and his son Job have been buddies since the beginning. They just make it look good that they steal from each other. It's the name of the game.

Thirtysixway
May 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
You have to be joking...

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Has nothing to do with size..... but with strenght. Information is the power.

Then you're running a version of OpenOffice I've never heard of. To me MS Office and OpenOffice are quite comparable.

k33bz
May 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Then you're running a version of OpenOffice I've never heard of. To me MS Office and OpenOffice are quite comparable.

i second that, both of those office suites are compariable good. the only real advantage and disadvantage to each other, is that one is FREE, in every since, and the other aint!!!!

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Of course i use OpenOffice. Just not MS Office <==Demon's Seed. I just start twitching, and convulsing to the fact that I have no choice but to boot back into the Demon's seed to retrieve my pst file. I can't seem to find a converter here. I've already copied the pst file to my Kubuntu partition. I would rather convert it here to kmail, kontact, or even Thunderbird without going back to retouch the Demon's spawn.

grip82
May 4th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yup. They make pretty damn good input devices. I own a Microsoft Natural Keyboard and Laser Mouse. Microsoft makes more good stuff, like Office and Visual Studio. I'm not saying they are superior to other tools, but they're not crap either. I even don't dislike Windows XP, I (am forced to) use it at work.

What I DO dislike is Microsoft's policy of screwing their customers over and over again. That's why I switched to linux several years ago.

swoll1980
May 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
What about all those great games you can play on MS

RiceMonster
May 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM

As nice as Open Office may be, it doesn't do as much as office 2007 does. For example, only MS Office corrects grammar.

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yup. They make pretty damn good input devices. I own a Microsoft Natural Keyboard and Laser Mouse. Microsoft makes more good stuff, like Office and Visual Studio. I'm not saying they are superior to other tools, but they're not crap either. I even don't dislike Windows XP, I (am forced to) use it at work.

What I DO dislike is Microsoft's policy of screwing their customers over and over again. That's why I switched to linux several years ago.

Funny thing.... I've been working for years with Solaris, BSD, Unix, Zenix, and Linux at my job. I just wanted to come home to an easy cookie cutter system after working all day with code.

ONE WORD OF WISDOM FOR ALL YOU KIDDIES OUT THERE!

Never, ever, ever, everrrrrr! install a Demon seed's SP1 on Vista. I promise you all will be sorry. From a perfectly working install, to garbage. At least in Linux, if it breaks, you can fix it! The Demon's registry is the most evil potion. AND! Never, ever, ever, everrrrr! use one of those so called registry fixers that all these wonderful IT mags states works! Because it doesn't!!

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
What about all those great games you can play on MS

Excuse the pun, but your better off playing with yourself. STAY AWAY from the Demon's SEED!

Damn near lost everything!

grip82
May 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Funny thing.... I've been working for years with Solaris, BSD, Unix, Zenix, and Linux at my job. I just wanted to come home to an easy cookie cutter system after working all day with code.

Never, ever, ever, everrrrrr! install a Demon seed's SP1 on Vista. I promise you all will be sorry. From a perfectly working install, to garbage. At least in Linux, if it breaks, you can fix it! The Demon's registry is the most evil potion. AND! Never, ever, ever, everrrrr! use one of those so called registry fixers that all these wonderful IT mags states works! Because it doesn't!!
Same for me. I write code for a living. I want my OS to "Just Work". That's why I reverted to Windows after some tries with Mandrake and Gentoo. Ubuntu however suits my needs.

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Once you install SP1 for the Demon's Seed, you can't un-install it. Then you can't fix the Demon's Seed with the Demon's disc, because SP1 [SP1 = Stupid Procedures 1] is installed. And it fails to un-install. Takes two hours to run the un-install, and it says it's reverting back to Stupid Procedures 1. Because it can't UN-INSTALL IT!

I'm tired....... Time for some of the Ozzy. CRAZY TRAIN, and SHOT IN THE DARK! Ha! Shot in the Dark sounds like the Demon's Stupid Procedure 1.
http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/mslugshoot.gifhttp://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/bomb.gif

wana10
May 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM
good microsoft products? personally i've always tought that xp was a damn fine os. and seeing as i'm in the market for a new mouse i'll have to give the op suggestion a look-see.

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Once you install SP1 for the Demon's Seed, you can't un-install it. Then you can't fix the Demon's Seed with the Demon's disc, because SP1 [SP1 = Stupid Procedures 1] is installed. And it fails to un-install. Takes two hours to run the un-install, and it says it's reverting back to Stupid Procedures 1. Because it can't UN-INSTALL IT!

I'm tired....... Time for some of the Ozzy. CRAZY TRAIN, and SHOT IN THE DARK! Ha! Shot in the Dark sounds like the Demon's Stupid Procedure 1.
http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/mslugshoot.gifhttp://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/bomb.gif

Oh I see, the Demon = Microsoft. Wow. :P

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
good microsoft products? personally i've always tought that xp was a damn fine os. and seeing as i'm in the market for a new mouse i'll have to give the op suggestion a look-see.

The deskset I mentioned below rocks! All the keys, and buttons work with Kubuntu. The only thing is the price.

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Just one thing........ ANYONE know how to convert a .pst <== Demon's Seed to any mail program on Kunbuntu that will accept it. I have no choice to accept it, because it's mine. But I really don't want it anymore. Any Suggestions? Please, please don't make me login to that Death trap again to convert it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'd owe you for life!

keykero
May 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Honestly, it just sounds like you don't know what you're doing.

Unix_Slayer
May 4th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Honestly, it just sounds like you don't know what you're doing.

I said damn near. You didn't read into it.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Excuse the pun, but your better off playing with yourself. STAY AWAY from the Demon's SEED!

demon seed? rofl, get a grip.

swoll1980
May 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM

you need to come out of the bunker and get some fresh air once in a while

RiceMonster
May 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I installed Windows and suddenly found myself attending strange cult gatherings and satanic ceremonies! Thank god I was saved from the demon seed and switched to Linux!

stinger30au
May 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Man... I hate to disagree but Microsoft Office is definetly better. It pisses me off that Macs get it and we dont. Macs and Windows keep on sharing their software but we get none of that, we have to emulate their stuff.

that may have something to do with the fact the micrsoft own 49% of apple. they bought in to apple years ago to keep them afloat so they can say they dont have the monopoly.

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I think the next step for Unix_Slayer is a Valium pill.

regomodo
May 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM
they do make a very good Flight Simulator

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 12:37 AM
you need to come out of the bunker and get some fresh air once in a while

I have become Comfortably numb.......

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I installed Windows and suddenly found myself attending strange cult gatherings and satanic ceremonies! Thank god I was saved from the demon seed and switched to Linux!

Amen Brotha.........

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I think the next step for Unix_Slayer is a Valium pill.

Bring on the *****....... Don't do drugs. They fry your brain.

scouser73
May 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM

Please tell me that is a joke, Microsoft Office 2007 is dire, I have to use it at work, blue background, crappy interface.

The only "good thing" about Microsoft is that when people learn of open source software they'll hopefully switch when they realise how cack BS, I mean MS actually is.

Icehuck
May 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Depends on what your doing really. Are you using at home or in an office environment? At home sure it definitely is comparable because you aren't going to use the advance features of say Excel. The new collaborative features of Excel with SharePoint make it pretty darn good tool when you need to show data between 30 Divisions.

Pethegreat
May 5th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Lol, don't forget to thank Logitech
I <3 my Mx518. I <3 my xbox 360 controllers that logitech makes for MS, To quote famous game designer Cliffy B.

You can beat someone to death with these, but you can't strangle them cause' its wireless.

Bring on the *****....... Don't do drugs. They fry your brain.
Unix_slayer is evidence to the above statement.

MS office products are only slightly better than open office. MS office screws up text you type in OO and save as a word file. The margins get weird, so that 10 page paper that you need to be 10 pages just became 8.5 pages.

AmishFury
May 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
they make wonderful game controllers

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I <3 my Mx518. I <3 my xbox 360 controllers that logitech makes for MS, To quote famous game designer Cliffy B.

Unix_slayer is evidence to the above statement.

Am I being summoned.....

Icehuck
May 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
MS office products are only slightly better than open office. MS office screws up text you type in OO and save as a word file. The margins get weird, so that 10 page paper that you need to be 10 pages just became 8.5 pages.

Or it could be that Open Office can't properly save a Word file. Ya know since the Word file type was designed for Microsoft Word and not Open Office.

elmer_42
May 5th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I want an IBM Model M so bad right now. A Das Keyboard II would do just as well. The Model M is the finest keyboard ever made.

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Please tell me that is a joke, Microsoft Office 2007 is dire, I have to use it at work, blue background, crappy interface.

The only "good thing" about Microsoft is that when people learn of open source software they'll hopefully switch when they realise how cack BS, I mean MS actually is.

We've all gotten so used to MS <==The Demon ruling our lives. If we don't recognize the icons, we are trained not to know where to go. Linux makes you think. It's the working man's jamba.

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM
BTW....... Sirius radio Rocks!:guitar:

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I want an IBM Model M so bad right now. A Das Keyboard II would do just as well. The Model M is the finest keyboard ever made.

Now this blows away my keyboard hands down.........

http://www.shoppalstores.com/ibmmodelm/image//logos/logo3.jpg

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/alien.gif

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Even Grandma is giving The Demon the boot....... Bye Bye Billy Boy.......

http://www.roleplayers.info/bbs/uploads/post-11-1062235402.gif

Ender305
May 5th, 2008, 02:07 AM
MS is like fire, mess with it, and you'll get burned - it happened to me with Vi$ta

in linux you can do whatever you want

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:10 AM
MS is like fire, mess with it, and you'll get burned - it happened to me with Vi$ta

in linux you can do whatever you want

You are Soooooooooo right!

http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/roll.gif

wesley_of_course
May 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Just one thing........ ANYONE know how to convert a .pst <== Demon's Seed to any mail program on Kunbuntu that will accept it. I have no choice to accept it, because it's mine. But I really don't want it anymore. Any Suggestions? Please, please don't make me login to that Death trap again to convert it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'd owe you for life!

Synaptic lists a package called ," readpst " , and I paste ;

Converts Outlook PST files to mbox and others
ReadPST is an application that can take a Microsoft Outlook PST
(Personal Folders) file and convert it into mbox, kmail, its own
recursive format, or separate each email into its own file.

It can currently handle emails, folders and most contacts.

Welcome to the other side .

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Synaptic lists a package called ," readpst " , and I paste ;

Converts Outlook PST files to mbox and others
ReadPST is an application that can take a Microsoft Outlook PST
(Personal Folders) file and convert it into mbox, kmail, its own
recursive format, or separate each email into its own file.

It can currently handle emails, folders and most contacts.

Welcome to the other side .

But can it core an apple? Thanks for the hint, but I already tried it. Seems The Demon went one better with Office 2007, and make it unthinkable.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/freaked.gif

Oh... and thanks for the Welcome. I like the other side. The dark side of the moon!

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I guess I'll wait it out for another day, and then I must return to the Darkside one more time. Damn it Bill..... I WANT MY E-MAILS Back!!! All three gigs of it!!!

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/run.gif

Victormd
May 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM
This might be a dumb question, but have you thought about importing your outlook e-mails into eudora and then into thunderbird? Or even using the import option in thunderbird? I know thunderbird can import both, but have only tried importing from Eudora and it worked perfectly!

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Can't believe it. Just thinking about how long I nurtured that Demon's child. I've had this setup since Winblows 95. I nurtured it, and upgraded it for over ten years. Took such good care of it. Backed it up everyday. Now I have 6 logins on one login screen. This is so amazing.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/help.gifhttp://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/gunner.gif

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:45 AM
This might be a dumb question, but have you thought about importing your outlook e-mails into eudora and then into thunderbird? Or even using the import option in thunderbird? I know thunderbird can import both, but have only tried importing from Eudora and it worked perfectly!

I have to go back to the Demon, and convert it into Thunderbird. Then I can move it over to Thunderbird In Hardy. 3 gigs..... I've had that .pst for 8 years. The Thunderbird for Linux does not have that option.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/ms3utan.gif

Ender305
May 5th, 2008, 02:58 AM
why do you need those emails anyway

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Anyone know if Wine will run Outlook in Linux?

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/wave.gif

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 03:00 AM
why do you need those emails anyway

Business e-mails. Since I started up. And you know what's funny about it.... I'm the CIO. I should know how to do this. Btw... I'm the only IT person. Are we in trouble. Yeeeesshhh....

http://www.ezboard.com/image/emoticons_classic/eek.gif

Icehuck
May 5th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Anyone know if Wine will run Outlook in Linux?

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/wave.gif

What version of Outlook?

doorknob60
May 5th, 2008, 03:04 AM
If you think Microsoft keyboards and mouses are good..........lol. I've gone through two MS mice and a third has a few problems (all wireless), and my MS wireless keyboard has bad range and some of the buttons don't work well. Meh never again, Logitech FTW!

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 03:10 AM
What version of Outlook?

Outlook 2007 with SP1

Icehuck
May 5th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Outlook 2007 with SP1

Outlook 2007 I don't believe is working atm. 2003 is buggy but you can get it to work.

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Outlook 2007 I don't believe is working atm. 2003 is buggy but you can get it to work.

Thanks for the help. Figures I tried to be up to date with that moronic software. I guess it's back to the Demon's Lair tomorrow. If I can actually login. I have 6 logins on the login screen. I'm not sure which one is the correct door in.

Too all you Kiddies out there running The Demon's Spawn.....

Don't install SP1, whatever you do. And! Don't try to restore with a backup. Otherwise you'll get more logins like me. This should be a lesson to all of us.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/frustrated.gif

Moop
May 5th, 2008, 03:46 AM

I have one of the Unicomp buckling spring keyboards and it's even customized for linux. Unicomp bought the rights to make that keyboard from IBM. http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/linux101.html It's built like a battleship.

Back on topic, I've always liked Microsoft mice.

Icehuck
May 5th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the help. Figures I tried to be up to date with that moronic software. I guess it's back to the Demon's Lair tomorrow. If I can actually login. I have 6 logins on the login screen. I'm not sure which one is the correct door in.

1. Login as Administrator
2. Take ownership of files/folders
3. ??
4. Profit.

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 04:10 AM
1. Login as Administrator
2. Take ownership of files/folders
3. ??
4. Profit.

Tried and failed. Something took out the registry keys. Could of been a virus, but not sure. I doubt it because it was very well protected. I can only get it to boot from the last good configuration. Won't boot in any other modes, including Safe mode. The repair on the Spawn's cd is useless. I've got all my excel, word, and Outlook files moved over to Hardy. I'm sticking with the only righteous system on the planet. No disappointments. Now all I need to do is either log back into the Demon's Spawn, and convert it. If I can find the correct door.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/metalslug.gif

Unix_Slayer
May 5th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Smack! Smack! I'm a moron. I just figured out the deal with the Demon. I'll load the .pst on another Winblows machine, and convert it. Why didn't I think of that.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/shame.gif http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/eyes.gif http://www.egameaddiction.com/posticons/flamin.gif http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smokin.gif

LolItsGriff
May 5th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I actually Like windows a lot. XP was a great OS...
Windows seems to have better VOIP quality.. even better when coupled with the terrible mic support of linux.

Overall though, I like ubuntu more.

chris4585
May 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM
mspaint was the highlight of microsoft for me, there will never be anything like it...

Phew glad i was the first to mention mspaint! :D

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
does anybody know why my logitech keyboard has a windows logo on the 'super' key?

i asked them for the linux version and they didn't know what i was talking about. i want an ubuntu logo or a tux logo.

tashmooclam
May 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I love Appleworks 6, Googledocs, and Openoffice in that order. I don't miss Office.

Paqman
May 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
personally i've always tought that xp was a damn fine os.

I agree. It's fast, stable, and ludicrously widely supported. It's looking a bit old and clunky these days, but it's still perfectly useable.

Granted, I wouldn't surf the net on it, but it's great for games.

lancest
May 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE= MS office screws up text you type in OO and save as a word file. The margins get weird, so that 10 page paper that you need to be 10 pages just became 8.5 pages.[/QUOTE]

Try this (http://lifehacker.com/352676/make-word-and-openoffice-more-compatible) to fix that compatablity issue. Works every time for me!

SuperSon!c
May 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
does anybody know why my logitech keyboard has a windows logo on the 'super' key?

i asked them for the linux version and they didn't know what i was talking about. i want an ubuntu logo or a tux logo.

yeah, i have no idea why they'd put a windows key there. that's just weird.

Martje_001
May 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
yeah, i have no idea why they'd put a windows key there. that's just weird.
What is that Windows-thing anyway?

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM
its funny because ive only used that button with linux (compiz)

MongooseCage
May 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Dude seriously you are scaring me... Its like as if Bill Gates had slayed your entire town or something.. chill out... I still feel that Microsoft Office is better, I have a dual-boot but i touch it with hesitation. What do you do with those SLI 9600 GTs? You would need 4000 spaces or sides to your cube to utilze that unless if you do graphic work with blender.

MongooseCage
May 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Saint Angeles;4884947]does anybody know why my logitech keyboard has a windows logo on the 'super' key?

lol, yeah ******* me off, I wish lenovo didnt take over Thinkpad, I have a windows key, IBM would have given me a little Tux instead of those 4 bland windows

SuperSon!c
May 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM

same as hitting the start icon in the task bar.

regomodo
May 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Dude seriously you are scaring me... Its like as if Bill Gates had slayed your entire town or something.. chill out...

You aren't the only one feeling the same way. At first i assumed he was drunk so i didn't find it odd. Now that it's continuing like this, i don't know what to think [i do just won't say it]

Tom Mann
May 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Last time I took a Microsoft hardware product apart I found it was made by Mitsumi - they are extremely good HW manufacturers, they're just not that well known.

daverich
May 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM
xbox360 would be my vote....

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Tuna-Fish
May 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM

It isn't. Not yet, anyway.

Underestimating the opposition never did anyone any good.

And while OO.o is good enough for most users, there is a reason ms office is the market leader.

dvarsam
May 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM

That is NOT the only Hardware that works great with Ubuntu.
Their Lifecam VX-3000 USB camera works great too!
It does NOT require any drivers to install...
No fuss at all!!!

I have come to the following conclusion:

If you want to buy some Hardware, which you want to deploy with Ubuntu, if the product you are looking for is also offered by Microsoft, you are better off to buy their Hardware because you have more chances it would work with the Ubuntu OS, than any other Hardware manufacturer.

In the past, I would have to try & return hardware to test whether they work with my Ubuntu...
...Not including all the posts in the forums asking for help...

Now, I feel more confident with MS Hardware products.

lancest
May 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
It isn't. Not yet, anyway.

Underestimating the opposition never did anyone any good.

And while OO.o is good enough for most users, there is a reason ms office is the market leader.
Open Office styles and formating are far better for designing and editing longer documents (http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0113GS-WorkingWithStyles.pdf).
You actually learn to STRUCTURE documents first instead of focusing on time wasting formating -like in Word. I find OO Writer to be VERY MUCH faster and snappier at handling long documents in print layout & page preview in both Ubuntu and Windows. Total performance over MS Office! We use OO Calc alot too for our business
OO is plenty good enough for thousands of business and individuals so far One example: The whole government of Malaysia for example has just ditched MS Office completely for OO (http://www.oscc.org.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=189&Itemid=128).
Open Office can often open older Office documents (That new MS Office sometimes can't)
Best of all, OpenOffice.org 2 can be downloaded and used entirely free of any licence fees. OpenOffice.org 2 is released under the LGPL licence. This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial, educational, public administration. You may install it on as many computers as you like. You may make copies and give them away to family, friends, students, employees - anyone you like.
This makes Open Office far more relevant,useful and powerful than MS office.

swoll1980
May 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
the halo series

Mateo
May 11th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Archive files is hard coded into the kernel. Still don't understand why linux hasn't done this yet. We got mounting cd/dvd images hardcoded into the kernel, but not archive recognition? why?