PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 grub install error

abcdfv
May 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
when trying to perform a clean install of 8.04, everything goes perfectly until it starts installing grub.
then it tells me that a fatal error has occurred, grub wasn't installed, at which point the installer crashes.
does anyone know how i can fix this or find a workaround?

overdrank
May 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
when trying to perform a clean install of 8.04, everything goes perfectly until it starts installing grub.
then it tells me that a fatal error has occurred, grub wasn't installed, at which point the installer crashes.
does anyone know how i can fix this or find a workaround?

HI and have you checked the cd for errors and you may do a checksum on the iso. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
Have you tried using the alternate cd for installation?

abcdfv
May 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
the ISO matches, i'll check the CD now
haven't tried using the alternate install

overdrank
May 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM
the ISO matches, i'll check the CD now
haven't tried using the alternate install

Also if you have windows on the system you may also defrag windows a couple of times.

abcdfv
May 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
both of my partitions were made from a clean hdd,partitions made, windows installed , then ubuntu 7.10 immediatly after.
the CD came back error free

amartz
May 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I just had a similar problem. I have 4 partitions on the second drive of an HP Pavilion dv9740, /, swap, /usr and /home, all ext3 (not swap, of course). I was running the gnome partition manager from the 8.04 Ubuntu dvd, and telling it to format / and /usr, not /home, and do the install. This disk had 7.10 on it. I'd get the grub-install failed near the end of the install. Following a tip from another thread, I ran fdisk -l. The /usr and /home partition types IDed as type 83 (ext3), but the / partition as something else. Even though I was telling the partition manager it was ext3 (type 83) and to format it, it didn't change the type to ext3, so grub-install failed (even though the mbr was on the other drive). Since I was formatting the / partition anyhow, I deleted the partition, and then re-created it as ext3, told it to format and install, and the grub-install worked fine.
Art