PDA

View Full Version : I'm back on Gnome... in case anyone cares.

aysiu
October 18th, 2005, 03:50 AM
I'm not sure anyone will care, but this makes it a bit more difficult for me to help out the KDE users out there. I've just found KDE in Breezy to be extremely buggy. Gnome seems a bit more stable, so I'll be sticking with Gnome until KDE cleans up its act.

Okay. Bring on the "Why do we care?" comments.

Back to normal life now.

bluck
October 18th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I'm not sure anyone will care, but this makes it a bit more difficult for me to help out the KDE users out there. I've just found KDE in Breezy to be extremely buggy. Gnome seems a bit more stable, so I'll be sticking with Gnome until KDE cleans up its act.

Back to normal life now.

welcome back!
i like gnome better anyhow :)

Stormy Eyes
October 18th, 2005, 03:59 AM

Have fun. I'm using straight Openbox, so if anybody wants advice on a minimalist window manager... well...

aysiu
October 18th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Have fun. I'm using straight Openbox, so if anybody wants advice on a minimalist window manager... well... I'll be sure to send the Openbox questions your way.

PatrickMay16
October 18th, 2005, 04:37 AM

And when someone says that, you can show them this.

_____ ___ __ _____
___/#####\__ | \ | | / _ \
_/#####/ ___ \ | \ | | | / \ |
/######/ / \ | | \| | | | | |
/#######| o o| | |\ | | | | | |
|#######| \| | | \ | | | | |
|########| /o_\ | | \ | | \_/ |
|#/ \#| _\ |__| \__| \_____/
\#\ o / |
\##\_/| / | _________
\# \ \__/ _/ _____)
\__ \__ | _/ )_\
_/ \_____/ _/ )_/
_/ ) __/ ___)/ __ __
_/ ___ | _/ _/ | | | |
/ \__ | __/ _/ | | | |
\___ | _/ _/ | | | |
\ \|__ _/ / | \_/ |
\___ _/ _/ \ /
\___/ / \_____/
#\ /

Okay, I think I'll stop posting that now. Heh.

Seriously, I use GNOME as well. The last time I used KDE was when I was using Mandrake Linux back in May. In my opinion, GNOME is much nicer. I don't intend to cause flames by saying that. It's just my opinion.

Goober
October 18th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Uhh, welcome back to the light? :P

I do prefer Gnome as well, although, having said that, I have only logged into KDE a couple times, and, well, its very different then Gnome, which I've edited to my liking. If it works, why change it?

And what's this "normal life" you speak of? Where can I download that?

Lovechild
October 18th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Welcome back, didn't know you were gone though.

aysiu
October 18th, 2005, 05:55 AM
And what's this "normal life" you speak of? Where can I download that? It's in the repositories:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

SamH
October 18th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Welcome back?

Gnome is great, so is KDE. If you are running Linux, does it really matter what DE you use?

Goober
October 18th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Umm . . . aysiu . . .

nathan13@nathan13:~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
ubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
nathan13@nathan13:~$

According to the Terminal, I already have it . . . *sctraches head* . . . huh, so if this is "normal", then what is "abnormal"?

Please don't say Windows

Lovechild
October 18th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Umm . . . aysiu . . .

nathan13@nathan13:~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
ubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
nathan13@nathan13:~$

According to the Terminal, I already have it . . . *sctraches head* . . . huh, so if this is "normal", then what is "abnormal"?

Please don't say Windows

easy:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

That or installing Windows ME

*hey this is a GNOME thread what did you expect?*

gray-squirrel
October 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Back to normal life now.

Thanks. I was about to install Breezy within the next few days (after I get my data recovered from my toasted USB flash drive). Were there any specific problems that you came across? I'm just wondering if how serious they were; if none involved loss of data I'll go ahead and dist-upgrade quickly (instead of backing up everything, formatting all drives, and installing Kubuntu Breezy) and start playing around with the system.

GeneralZod
October 18th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks. I was about to install Breezy within the next few days (after I get my data recovered from my toasted USB flash drive). Were there any specific problems that you came across? I'm just wondering if how serious they were; if none involved loss of data I'll go ahead and dist-upgrade quickly (instead of backing up everything, formatting all drives, and installing Kubuntu Breezy) and start playing around with the system.

The main problems were the last-minute omission of HAL-integration (so newly-inserted USB drives do not show up on your desktop); last of GPG integration in kmail; and, everybody's favourite, the inability to attain admin priviledges in the KDE control centre (so you have to start it with sudo kcontrol). I gather the first two will be fixed in the next update; since the third has been around for about 6 months now, I'm not holding out much hope :(

tseliot
October 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Back to normal life now.
In my case it happened the other way round: I started with GNOME and I really like it but GNOME 2.12 has a bug which prevents users from switching keyboard layout (I need to switch to the Spanish keyboard layout in order to use accents and special characters because I translate Italian into Spanish very often). For this reason I've switched to KDE which works GREAT!

landotter
October 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM
In my case it happened the other way round: I started with GNOME and I really like it but GNOME 2.12 has a bug which prevents users from switching keyboard layout

I use the keyboard applet in Gnome to switch between Swedish/English and it works great. in Gnome 2.12.

You might want to grab all the recent updates and see if it works now.

tseliot
October 18th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I use the keyboard applet in Gnome to switch between Swedish/English and it works great. in Gnome 2.12.

Ok, I'll see of it works now. Thanks

canadianwriterman
October 18th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Back to normal life now.

I agree with you, but perhaps for different reasons. For the past couple of months, I've been using Ubunbtu. But, previously I spent a lot of time using Xandros, which is KDE based. I also use some programs that are "integrated better" with the KDE desktop. So, when the final release of Breezy was posted I thought I'd go back to KDE... downloaded Kubuntu, installed and used it. I didn't find it nearly as friendly as the GNOME Ubuntu. For example, I use the "Run as a different user" feature of Ubuntu all the time to access folders and to edit files that can only be done as superuser. On Kubuntu, I could not find any such feature (although I'm sure there is a way). I'd also forgotten how kinda ugly KDE is compared with GNOME. (Now THAT will start a flame war!)

So, I'm back on GNOME and loving it!

tseliot
October 18th, 2005, 06:36 PM

It doesn't seem to work yet. Oh well I like Kde too and I don't find it that buggy (I don't use Adept)

Stormy Eyes
October 18th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I'll be sure to send the Openbox questions your way.

Have 'em read this HOWTO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75471) and post any questions they may have there.

Lord Illidan
October 18th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Who cares?
Lol, actually, I have found that Gnome is better than KDE for stability..though I miss the eyecandy..

xequence
October 18th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Back to normal life now.

Odd, since ive started using KDE ;)

Aaaaand it just completly froze on me... Now I know what you mean! If it happens again, ill be back to gnome probably.

mrtaber
October 18th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I'm in the same boat. And...well, I missed my sedate, understated Gnome desktop. Eyecandy is all well and good, for about half an hour...then I start getting this nervous tic...

Mark :)

tseliot
October 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I'm in the same boat. And...well, I missed my sedate, understated Gnome desktop. Eyecandy is all well and good, for about half an hour...then I start getting this nervous tic...

Mark :)
Same thing for me, this KDE is buggy (now I see). But I'm stuck with GNOME and the bug of keyboard layouts still remains :mad:

UPDATE: I've managed to fix it somehow: Layout option/ Group shift Lock behaviour/ and selected CTRL+SHIFT change group.

Then I did CTRL+SHIFT and it worked. Now it works even if I change the layout with a mouse click (it didn't work before).

Now I'm back to GNOME!

stimpack
October 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Ive tried to use Gnome because people keep talking about it, it seems very basic though and doesnt do half the things I want. I tried.. I failed.. KDE man here.

skoal
October 19th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Us KDE users don't like the word "buggy". We prefer you guys use the term "quality control challenged".

Buggy? KDE buggy??? Eh, we dohn neeeeed yo stinkin' buhgs...

Seriously. No problems here...

\\//_

Stormy Eyes
October 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Us KDE users don't like the word "buggy". We prefer you guys use the term "quality control challenged".

Be grateful we're not using "defective". :)