PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what does verbose mean?

waggingwabbit
May 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
i see theres a verbose option in ipblock for logging stuff and then theres a verbose option for secure-delete. and then i saw it once more somewhere else...what does verbose do/stand for?

Joeb454
May 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
It just outputs a load of text telling you what it's currently doing :)

Barrucadu
May 4th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Here's the definition from dictionary.com for you:

ver·bose Audio Help [ver-bohs] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective characterized by the use of many or too many words; wordy: a verbose report.

[Origin: 1665–75; < L verbōsus, equiv. to verb(um) word + -ōsus -ose1]

—Related forms
ver·bose·ly, adverb
ver·bose·ness, noun

—Synonyms prolix; tedious, inflated, turgid; voluble, talkative, loquacious. See bombastic.
—Antonyms laconic.

waggingwabbit
May 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM
oh...i looked it up in the dictionary already but didnt really get what it had to do with ubuntu. thanks!

mistypotato
October 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM
oh...i looked it up in the dictionary already but didnt really get what it had to do with ubuntu. thanks!

I realize this is an old thread, but still relevant and pertinent for someone searching later.

I understand your question....and a dictionary definition is not in the least bit helpful in this case. I'm also currently trying to understand the "technical" details of what the verbose setting does. Perhaps someone else will come along with something of value to add or if I find it I'll come back and post the technical details of what I found that that particular setting does.

uRock
October 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Necromancy= Thread closed.