PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 7.10 - won't load gui

depricated
May 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hey all, just being introduced to Ubuntu now. My teacher gave me a Live-CD for 7.10. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but problems getting it installed. The problem I'm having now is this:

When I load Ubuntu it goes through the splash screen(removing quiet splash shows nothing alarming) - then gives me a gui window saying it will be running in Low Graphics Mode because it can't detect my monitor/video card. I've tried running in Low Graphics Mode - which gives me absolutely no gui. It just stops at the end of the splash and gives me a blank command prompt. No commands seem to work in it though. Or if they do, it's not doing anything.

If I go to configure it, neither of the specific drivers are listed but I can Test the monitor working as PNP 800x600 check Widescreen. Any other setup gives me a mangled screen(running an Acer AL2016W Widescreen - not listed under Acer but the AL2032W is - also works)

If I try to test the Video Card driver, it goes to the aforementioned command prompt, which has the last 4 lines of splash at the top. I've tried letting it sit(maybe an input delay before initial launch) but it doesn't go any further.

System:
CPU: AMD Athlon Dual Core x64
RAM: 4gb
HDD: 2x Western Digital
ODD: 2x Optical(both fully functional, 1 DVD-ROM 1 DVD-RW)
Video Card: GeForce 8800 512mb(single, not SLi)

Installed Already:
Windows XP
Windows Vista Business
Fedora 8

As far as I can tell the problem lies in the video card though. Anyone know how I can work around this?

I've also tried running the Wubi install off the disc, didn't work either. Same problem came up. As of now it shows up as a Bootable OS but it won't go past the Splash.

paul101
May 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
is it the 64bit version???

depricated
May 4th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Not that I can tell, it's just a disk in a sleeve.

But that hasn't mattered for anything else - say Vista 32 bit.

DonnyB4e56
May 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I think that the problem would be your video card, mine won't work for desktop effects but my video card is worse than yours. So it was proably what paul101 said.