View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mp3 Problem, Codec, Network or Hardware which one?

May 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I am a complete newb in Ubuntu/Linux world. I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64 bit edition on my Dual 2 Core notebook.
While I try to play any mp3, obviously I am asked to install required codecs, when I follow the steps:
1 Search for suitable codec
2. Select GStream from list
But few problems here:
Its is telling "the list of available application is out of date, So I choose reload, which is looking for working internet connection, Half way through checking, I got "Could not download all repository index" and the following message:
"The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct." plus some addresses which failed to fetch.
My connection is active through which I am writing this msg and I can surf, email, d/l using this connection.

I also checked "software Sources" in System, to check my connection where I checked connect with any sever and after testing it failed to connect any of them.

I have also tried the other tutorials where few commands: sudo apt-get... are given and those are all failed in my case as those packages cannot be found .
In another try to get GStream(can't remember where) I got the message that my in installation (amd64) it is not permitted to get that.

So in my present situation if hardware is problem (32bit or 64bit) do I need to install 32bit? if so then how to reinstall...
Or how can I to ensure I am connected to get the proper codecs.

Sorry for this long writing
Thanks for reading

May 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Adding with my last message, even if I try to update package using the command: sudo apt-get update, it cannot update and get the "403 Forbidden" message.
Any help is appreciated